News Jessica Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

Dear Prudence

They're going to close Small World in the next ten years. Absolutely guaranteed.
Or, they could just....call in cultural consultants to update certain scenes. It's that simple. The Latin America section is actually just fine. If you actually know what you're looking at and talking about, that is, not just obnoxiously virtue signaling, and actually know the differences between cultural patterns, etc. (Also, Argentina being represented by penguins 99.9% probably an in joke,, because other Latin Americans don't like Argentina? A+++++).

The Native American section isn't as bad as it could be (trust me), but that's easily fixed.

It's Not Going Anywhere, After All, and just a few tweaks brushes it all up to the Year of Our Lord 2021.

TP2000

This news had me chuckling all through my breakfast. It's all just so stupid, so contrived, so forced.

But why stop here in Toontown? Disneyland has the most classic Fantasyland dark rides of any Disney property. The entire roster of Anaheim dark rides is ripe for reinvention and relevance!

Bring on entirely new plotlines based around supporting characters or entirely unknown plotlines that won't be able to explain their purpose in a noisy, hectic dark ride only lasting 2 minutes. We need relevance!

Peter Pan's Flight = Tinkerbell Takes Over!
Alice In Wonderland = Hedgehogs Have Feelings Too, Presented by PETA
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride = James Toad's (He/Him) Quiet Night At Home
Pinocchio's Daring Journey = Blue Fairy's Daring Career Change, Presented by LinkedIn
Snow White's Enchanted Wish = Evil Queen's Womxn-Owned Small Business
The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh = Piglet's Party Planning Service: A Gender Reveal Celebration

And let's not forget DCA...

Monsters Inc. - Mike & Sulley To The Rescue! = Monsters Inc. - Boo Don't Need No Help!

WDI better order more barrels, there's lots of work to be done. :cool:

Last edited:

Dear Prudence

I also don't like that pants are automatically conflated with superiority (1940s values and symbolism of pants aside).

Jessica and Roger Rabbit are one of the strongest and healthiest relationships in the Disney Canon, and represent two characters that care deeply about each other, are willing to do anything for each other, and we are talking about a woman who did literally everything to protect her husband. She displays a considerable amount of agency, intellectual prowess, etc.

IDK, the whole point of her character was that she is both beautiful and brilliant, deeply nurturing, emotionally intelligent, etc. I am not sure is demonizing hyper femininity is it.

J4546

it weird how many people are seem genuinely upset about this, claiming that todays kids and audiences are so soft and that theyre ruining disney.....yet on the other hand they are getting genuinely upset about the small changes to a wacky ride in a theme park. ironic

Last edited:

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
it weird how many people are seem genuinely upset about this, claiming that todays kids and audiences are so soft and that theyre ruining disney.....yet on the other hand they are getting genuinely upset about the small changes to a wacky ride in a theme park....which is pretty soft.

It's not that the ride is getting changed...it's WHY the ride is getting changed.

Dr.Cheeto

I'd understand the removal of Jessica tied up in the trunk of a car, but the rest of these changes don't feel genuine to me. Like the rest of the comments in this thread, I assume they will cover up her body in a trench coat to fit this new Private Investigator backstory. That also sends a message to kids- can't be a respectable woman if you have curves! (If anything Jessica Rabbit's look seems to be more of an icon in the Drag community than anything else today).

If we're worried about what is considered family friendly or not, the entirety of Star Wars Galaxy's Edge is themed to war, and celebrates fascist imagery from the designs of the stormtroopers, Empire, etc. That's ok, but a cartoon character that owns how she was "drawn that way" is not. Like @Collectingbees mentioned, Jessica and Roger have one of the healthiest Disney relationships. Jessica might look a certain way, but she's confident enough not to play into people's expectations of her and lives a life that makes her happy. The funny thing is that Jessica takes a real backseat to Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin as it is. If WDI replaced the Jessica tied up in the trunk to something more active, (standing on a box to avoid the dip, to be in a similar state of distress as Roger) there would be no problem and most people would forget she was even in the ride. This revisionist history of Jessica on the ride could also backfire and bring more attention to her character. Kids will go home and stream Who Framed Roger Rabbit on Disney+ and wonder why her character is different than the one on the ride. I think the main message fans are getting from these changes is that Disney has no attachment to their legacy characters anymore.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Or, they could just....call in cultural consultants to update certain scenes. It's that simple. The Latin America section is actually just fine. If you actually know what you're looking at and talking about, that is, not just obnoxiously virtue signaling, and actually know the differences between cultural patterns, etc. (Also, Argentina being represented by penguins 99.9% probably an in joke,, because other Latin Americans don't like Argentina? A+++++).

The Native American section isn't as bad as it could be (trust me), but that's easily fixed.

It's Not Going Anywhere, After All, and just a few tweaks brushes it all up to the Year of Our Lord 2021.
They're dolls, mate.

mickEblu

Just went on Roger. Barrels actually aren’t static anymore. Well one is. The one to the right is standing upright and tipping back and forth with lid open/ neon green dip exposed.

Will the new Hillary-Jessica change my experience on the ride? No. Is this still dumb? Yes. Ride experience shouldn’t change Assuming they just replace that one figure. Hoping for no alterations to the queue or cringey dialogue/ storyline.

Dr.Cheeto

Wow! Exclusive look at the updated Jessica Rabbit Animatronic!
JessicaRabbitAnimatronic.gif

I have to admit it's a lot better than I expected. The movement is fluid and she doesn't look ridiculous anymore. Impressive for the tight budget and quick turnaround for this project.

Dear Prudence

I'd understand the removal of Jessica tied up in the trunk of a car, but the rest of these changes don't feel genuine to me. Like the rest of the comments in this thread, I assume they will cover up her body in a trench coat to fit this new Private Investigator backstory. That also sends a message to kids- can't be a respectable woman if you have curves! (If anything Jessica Rabbit's look seems to be more of an icon in the Drag community than anything else today).

If we're worried about what is considered family friendly or not, the entirety of Star Wars Galaxy's Edge is themed to war, and celebrates fascist imagery from the designs of the stormtroopers, Empire, etc. That's ok, but a cartoon character that owns how she was "drawn that way" is not. Like @Collectingbees mentioned, Jessica and Roger have one of the healthiest Disney relationships. Jessica might look a certain way, but she's confident enough not to play into people's expectations of her and lives a life that makes her happy. The funny thing is that Jessica takes a real backseat to Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin as it is. If WDI replaced the Jessica tied up in the trunk to something more active, (standing on a box to avoid the dip, to be in a similar state of distress as Roger) there would be no problem and most people would forget she was even in the ride. This revisionist history of Jessica on the ride could also backfire and bring more attention to her character. Kids will go home and stream Who Framed Roger Rabbit on Disney+ and wonder why her character is different than the one on the ride. I think the main message fans are getting from these changes is that Disney has no attachment to their legacy characters anymore.
Like, this is the woman who was willing to kill for her annoying rabbit husband. We don't have to invent anything for her. She's already got it in droves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom