Creations Shop opening this summer

James Alucobond

Not people complaining about the use of Mickey when the old stop they praise was called… MouseGear and had… Mickey.
Indeed. This shop is a massive step up, and even though they've been pounding on the Mickey theming in social media postings, it's ultimately not terribly overwhelming and there's way more EPCOT detailing throughout the space than there was before. I'd like it if the two large murals were a bit different, but it's not going to spoil it for me.

Railfan Andrew

Indeed. This shop is a massive step up, and even though they've been pounding on the Mickey theming in social media postings, it's ultimately not terribly overwhelming and there's way more EPCOT detailing throughout the space than there was before. I'd like it if the two large murals were a bit different, but it's not going to spoil it for me.
It's beautiful, as Epcot should be.

Karakasa

Imo they need to reduce it to two of only one item at this point, no other duplicates except for maybe foodstuffs. Scalpers are going bonkers.
Is there 'no-limit' as of how many of the same items people can purchase? 😒
It's 2 of a given item per customer. But if they only have so much of a given product for the day/week/w/e and there are dozens of scalpers........

Clamman73

Lol people didn’t even get out of the store to list bag

Edit: Sold!
0E1A8AAC-F539-4837-BDE9-54F7C7B73E06.jpeg

FE6F0FD7-619F-4E83-A299-CE36D2BC7619.jpeg

Last edited:

VJ

It's a shop all right.

At least there's more light in there. Again.

ETA: Shame to see this. Have some manners, people!

completely disney's fault, and completely avoidable.

don't hype up a store in thousands of twitter posts then say "oh, oops" when things like this happen

you want people to know about it, they know about it alright

and handing over their wallet, just as walt wanted

VJ

Frankly, I do not understand why the Creations Shop is dedicated to Mickey Mouse. If the idea behind the reimagining of this merchandise location was to blend contemporary style with elements of original EPCOT, then why not dedicate the shop to Figment? Would it really have been that difficult to create Figment murals and sculptures?

One little spark, of inspiration, is at the heart of all creation. Is it too much to ask that someone would have remembered who sings this line?
figment is only a merchandising character. the days of him being a character in anything but merchandise is long, long over.

people saying they hate the new epcot will be the first in line to buy anything with that purple dragon on it because it represents what epcot center was. this is why figment is being utilized here, "we know you hate the new epcot but c'mon, spare a few bucks for a t-shirt?"

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Regarding Figment

Did you all know that Figment is *not* the EPCOT mascot? It's true!! Figment is thematically out of place in "Future World" (yes, I know of the mental gymnastics taken to justify that you can't build a world of tomorrow without a 'figment of imagination' -- you can't do it, either without math, and where's our Math Icon?).

Figment is out of place in "World Showcase." Figment is out of place in "a permanent World's Fair."

Figment is just one character from one thematically ill-fitting pavilion.

So, if one is incredulous that the mascot of a central shop isn't Figment, then one created in one's mind an imagined role for Figment that Figment never had.

Remember, one of our trusted insiders once said that one of the competing plans for an Imagination overhaul was to get rid of Figment altogether.

I also want to go on record that I'm not for getting rid of Figment. I just want people to realize this isn't FIGCOT. Especially since his current incarnation is an annoying git.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Regarding Mickey

It is ironic that at one time Imagineering was dead set against any Mickey in EPCOT, and now, imagineers are stuffing the place (well, just this one shop, not all of EPCOT) with their own handcrafted Mickeys.

But I firmly believe this doubling down on Mickey is because of copyright protections about to expire. Disney will need to make a case to Congress to extend the protection or create carve-outs for characters still being used in novel and profitable ways. That is why we have new Mickey shorts and series and attractions and shops and novel uses of the character.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom