What's going on with World of Color?

wityblack

Original Poster
I've heard rumblings that something isn't working right with World of Color, and that's why it wasn't brought back for Oogie Boogie Bash. We also seem to be missing the projection barges on the water. Is World of Color actually in need of infrastructure updates before it gets back on its feet, or are we just waiting for Covid to blow over?? Anyone have any idea what's actually going on?

AJFireman

A permit was pulled back in June for replacing the Projector Housing. They were rotted out and destroyed. Here is a screenshot from the Permits Thread. (Thanks to SSG)

I have not seen or heard anything else. It was not part of the recent Blog post regarding the Holiday Magic Season starting Nov 12. WOC usually plays during the holiday with a special show - Season of Light.

1631505699629.png

waltography

I'm sure a year+ of non-use has affected the infrastructure considerably. Moreover, I don't think Disney's rushing to fix it until they need something "new" to return to the parks for an influx of visitors. They're obviously not concerned about COVID considering Main Street is packed during the fireworks, so it's a financial/logistics thing in my eyes.

MoonRakerSCM

We noticed back during our visit a few months ago that the light tower housings were completely gone.

I have no clue why they're slacking on the entertainment, but my feeling is it's staffing issues. A lot of CMs are needed for crowd control...

Vegas Disney Fan

I'm sure a year+ of non-use has affected the infrastructure considerably. Moreover, I don't think Disney's rushing to fix it until they need something "new" to return to the parks for an influx of visitors. They're obviously not concerned about COVID considering Main Street is packed during the fireworks, so it's a financial/logistics thing in my eyes.
World of Color was also down for over a year before covid due to a control room bunker flooding and needing major repairs. I don’t think there’s actually been a world of color show since April 2018.

VJ

Imagine the millions spent fixing the infrastructure that keeps breaking every year.

I'd be surprised if Disney thinks continuing to put a band-aid on WOC is worth it.

D.Silentu

I wonder, does anyone know if the show at the Bellagio is so problematic? I enjoy World Of Color, but while I hope for a new variations every time there is news, it always seems to be a parade of mechanical issues.

MoonRakerSCM

My dad worked for WET (company that designed and built the Bellagio fountains as well as most high end water shows around the world).

The Bellagio fountains are maintained by a crew non stop and could be as problematic but proper money is invested to keep them near tip top shape.

Disney when designing world of color went and decided to do their own thing, and it has shown from the beginning. A ton of effects and show designs were thought of, created, and even installed, yet never worked properly. I've said from the beginning, the show is an utter failure yet immensely successful due to the simple nature of what it presents.

TP2000

Disney-California-Adventure-Paradise-Bay-Draining-6-micechat.jpg
Btw: the lagoon is currently being drained, so looks like major work is starting on WoC.

And the other site has more recent photos with the platform fully uncovered now.

It's a shame they can't just shut the park for a year and do all this needed work all at one time. Oh, wait...

Yes, I've used that line before. But it's so good that I can't help reusing it every time TDA finds some new problem caused by 15 months of neglect and abandonment. :cool:

Sailor310

Yea, back in the day, there used to be more folks with the inside scoop on stuff like this. I would be nice to know the when, where, and hows.
The answer these days is Chapek is ripping it out to sell the steel for scrap. :(

waltography

I honestly want more views of this, from all the way around. Is the Chernabog machine still in a pit, or did they yank it out back in the day? The projection domes hiding, or also removed long ago?

So many questions.
The Chernabog tower is one of those what-ifs that I wish they managed to pull off. Truly could have been an excellent counterpart to Fantasmic's Murphy.

Emmanuel

I honestly want more views of this, from all the way around. Is the Chernabog machine still in a pit, or did they yank it out back in the day? The projection domes hiding, or also removed long ago?

So many questions.

Projection domes were removed a long time ago.

I haven't seen anything from the Chernabog tower the last time they drained it so must've been removed a long time ago as well when it became apparent they weren't gonna use it.

TP2000

Speaking of rusting old machinery, whatever happened to Steve Davison? Is he still on the payroll?

He was the wunderkid who could do no wrong in the 2000's and 2010's. But you don't hear about him any more. What happened to that guy? Did someone finally realize the parks don't need another spectacular built solely around Little Mermaid, Beauty & The Beast, Toy Story, and Lion King?

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

Speaking of rusting old hulks, whatever happened to Steve Davison? Is he still on the payroll?

He was the wunderkid who could do no wrong in the 2000's and 2010's. But you don't hear about him any more. What happened to that guy? Did someone finally realize the parks don't need another spectacular built solely around Little Mermaid, Beauty & The Beast, Toy Story, and Lion King?

What a joke of a show designer. He had a few good shows in the 2000's but was losing his touch by World of Color.

The nail in the coffin for me was his redo of Fantasmic, which pulled elements from World of Color and his Tokyo iteration of Fantasmic- taking a show that was basically entirely original and turning it into one of his generic 'clip shows' that somehow missed the spark that made the original a classic.

I had a fun conversation with someone who used to work in entertainment stage management at one point, and I'll never forget talking about Disneyland's newer stuff and them turning and saying "Man, Steve Davison has got to go" and proceeded to rant about how lackluster his stuff has become.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom