Disney's Hollywood Studios to possibly get a major revamp

TheMrRamonlle

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
sf-hollywood-hills.png

Hollywood Studios was the first park I ever went and it and the first Disney ride I’ve ever been on (“The Great Movie Ride”) will always hold a special place in my heart.

I miss the old studio feel, but they’ve done a great job with the retheme so far.

…. But there is still even more work that needs to be done.

pixar-characters.png

Pixar Land
----- (formerly sunset boulevard and behind sunset ranch)

View attachment 580412

Jason_Lee_is_the_voice_of_Syndrome_in_The_Incredibles_Wallpaper_3_800.jpg
Underminer_I2.png
Bomb_Voyage.png

The Incredibles SuperMax Prison
----- (drop ride, similar to tower of terror)

View attachment 580419

Cars Coaster
----- (rollercoaster, similar to rock n rollercoaster)

2l7vw0fmgvn41.jpg

Monsters Inc Door Chase
----- (rail suspended dark ride, similar to peter pan)

inside-out-personality-islands-feature-1600x900-c-default.jpg

Inside Out
----- (dark ride, similar to journey into imagination and secret lives of pets)

R.a6132118133f55dd0b60df1c53f8c216

Up
----- (balloon ride, similar to inside out whirlwind)

60cb20ca23393a00188e3af9

Turning Red
----- (dark ride, similar to winnie the pooh)
But I'm not sure if that's possible (though the Lightning McQueen ride is still located in Sunset Boulevard) because there's already a Toy Story Land standing on the northwest right behind the Star Wars area. But if you changed your mind, then maybe you could put a couple of Pixar attractions in Pixar Place right behind the Chinese theater (which hosts the Runaway Railway).

MickeyMouse10

But I'm not sure if that's possible (though the Lightning McQueen ride is still located in Sunset Boulevard) because there's already a Toy Story Land standing on the northwest right behind the Star Wars area. But if you changed your mind, then maybe you could put a couple of Pixar attractions in Pixar Place right behind the Chinese theater (which hosts the Runaway Railway).

There's plenty of space inbetween Toy Story Land and the Cars Coaster (Rockin Rollercoaster).

As for Lightning McQueen, I would retheme the building to a restaurant. Because if feels like a D list attraction that could be more useful as food service. I'll talk about it more in a future update.

mharrington

Given the park's change in direction and identity, I thought that the name should change, too, away from "Studios". I've agonized over it for a long time, including "Cinemagine", "Hollywood Adventure", "Hollywood Fantasy" or just "Hollywoodland". Then I watched a video on ReviewTyme and I found it in the opening:

I think the name of the park should now be called "Disney Hollywood Kaleidoscope Park". It sounds rather colorful, actually, and worthy of the mishmash of rides and such they have there compared to the other parks.

Sharon&Susan

I think there should be Cars Land. and Maybe Avengers Campus but without Mission Breakout.
Only way anything resembling a clone of Avengers Campus would be allowed by Universal's lawyers would be a clone of Mission Breakout. I guess they could also clone the Dr. Strange garden... maybe?

J4546

I think a modified pixar pier would be great at DHS, with a one-off e-ticket flume/boat/water based ride thats themed to nemo/dory/luca. SOmething like this. the yellow area is the one-off e-ticket. Instead of TSMM, there would be something with a monster inc theme perhaps...

this would be an amazing view from the ToT. Also the ferris wheel would be lined up perfect with the park courtyard entrance to the area. keep the sunset strip with the little stands and they act as a kinda breezeway between sunset and the pier. I think it'd be pretty swell, but I know some people dont like the pixar pier area in CA

Attachments

• DHS Pixar Pier.jpg
    DHS Pixar Pier.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 103

MickeyMouse10

Given the park's change in direction and identity, I thought that the name should change, too, away from "Studios". I've agonized over it for a long time, including "Cinemagine", "Hollywood Adventure", "Hollywood Fantasy" or just "Hollywoodland". Then I watched a video on ReviewTyme and I found it in the opening:

I think the name of the park should now be called "Disney Hollywood Kaleidoscope Park". It sounds rather colorful, actually, and worthy of the mishmash of rides and such they have there compared to the other parks.

I just saw that one too. Reviewtyme and Yesterworld's disney oriented vids are always good. The latter one I've watched the same vids multiple times.

As for the name, I don't think Kaleidoscope would work. It's too hard to spell and not many people even know what it is. I'd stick with Hollywood Studios, it's not perfect, but still fits the front of the park.

Disstevefan1

Back in the days when Michael Eisner proposed the idea of Disney's Hollywood Studios (originally Disney-MGM Studios) and opened it to the public in 1989, it resembled an actual studio backlot, though a bit like Universal Studios Hollywood (with the Studios Tram Tour in it).

Over the years, as the parks continued to evolve, DHS so far got Toy Story Land, Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy, etc. But I don't think that's enough...But I was thinking maybe the park could take inspiration from Walt Disney Studios Park in Paris and to make several attractions...you know, character-themed.

Now, I decided to take out the Animation Courtyard and replace it with Toon Backlot as well as replace old attractions (but move the Frozen Sing-Along Show to EPCOT) with new ones.

List of areas

Bold = New attraction/shop/restaurant
Bold and Colored (based on themed land) = updated version of the attraction/shop/food restaurant

Hollywood Boulevard

Attractions
  • Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway
Shops
  • Adrian and Edith's Head to Toe Costume Shop
  • Celebrity 5 & 10
  • Classic Car Memorabilia
  • Crossroads of the World
  • Great Movie Finds
  • Keystone Clothiers
  • Mickey's of Hollywood
  • Movieland Memorabilia
  • Oscar's Superstation
  • Sid Cahuenga's One of a Kind
  • Studio Prop Co.
  • Studio Prop Shop
  • Studio Showcase
  • Superstar Shop
  • Tailor to the Stars
  • The Darkroom
Food services
  • The Hollywood Brown Derby
  • The Trolley Car Cafe

Echo Lake

Once again, I decided to move For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Celebration to EPCOT replacing Frozen Ever After which could move to the Magic Kingdom for that park's expansion if it were to have a Frozen-themed land and replaced it with another stage show, Mickey's Big Band Hits: Disneyland Fun (an American version of Tokyo DisneySea's Big Band Beat or Mickey's Christmas Big Band from Walt Disney Studios Park Paris, so all three continents can each have their own versions).

Attractions

• Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye (replacing the Indiana Jones Stunt Show, but as long as the franchise is still here)
  • Mickey Shorts Theater featuring "Vacation Fun"
  • Mickey's Big Band Hits: Disneyland Fun
This stage show, replacing For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Celebration, is the American version of Tokyo DisneySea's Big Band Beat (also Mickey's Christmas Big Band from Paris) which adds songs from both Disney's Sing Along Songs videos, Disneyland Fun and Let's Go to Disneyland Paris. Inspired from the defunct Disney Mania castle show (later moved to Tomorrowland) and the latest incarnation of TDS's show renamed "Big Band Beat - A Special Treat", it is hosted by of course, Mickey and Minnie Mouse, also joined by Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, Stitch, Pluto, Donald and Daisy Duck, Goofy, Baloo (from TaleSpin), Chip and Dale (as Rescue Rangers), Scrooge McDuck, and Clarabelle Cow.

The singers and dancers are accompanied by other characters such as Snow White, Mary Poppins, Bert, the Penguin Waiters, Peter Pan, Huey, Dewey, Louie, Genie, King Louie (from TaleSpin), Timon, Launchpad McQuack, Woody, Bo Peep, Buzz Lightyear, Jessie, Tiana, Louis, Alice, The White Rabbit, The Mad Hatter, Winnie the Pooh, Eeyore, Tigger, Cinderella, Aurora, Pinocchio, Aladdin and Jasmine (as a showgirl), Ariel (as a showgirl), Rapunzel, Anna and Elsa (both as showgirls), Olaf, Merida, and Moana and the villains Captain Hook, Cruella De Vil, Gaston, and Don Karnage.

The screen on the back of the stage shows clips from Disneyland Fun, Let's Go to Disneyland Paris, and Campout at Walt Disney World.
In the Christmas version, it shows clips from the 1990 and 1991 Walt Disney World Christmas parades (at which point were used for Disney's The Twelve Days of Christmas) and later renditions up to the present day. In addition, Goofy dresses up as Santa Claus like the other versions.

Musical numbers include:

• "It Don't Mean a Thing" / "Let's Go" (Mickey's Fun Songs Theme") (mashup)
  • "Whistle While You Work"
  • "Step In Time"
  • "I'm Walking Right Down the Middle of Main Street U.S.A."
  • "Following the Leader"/"Friend Like Me"/"Friends For Life"/"Hakuna Matata"
  • "Turkey in the Straw"
  • "Talent Round Up"
  • "Jumpin' Jive"
  • "Digga Digga Doo"/"Dig a Little Deeper"/"Jeepers Creepers"/"Mountain Greenery"
  • "How Do You Do and Shake Hands"/"The Unbirthday Song"
  • "Rumbly in My Tumbly"/"The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers"
  • Fantasyland Medley: "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"/"Once Upon a Dream"/"I've Got No Strings"/"Kiss the Girl"/"Be Our Guest"/"A Whole New World"/"Live Your Story"/"For the First Time in Forever"/"How Far I'll Go"/"It's a Small World"
  • "Makin' Memories"
  • "Grim Grinning Ghosts"
  • "Remember the Magic" (parade song)
  • "Here Comes Santa Claus"/"Have a Holly Jolly Christmas"/"Jingle Bells" (Christmas version)
  • "The Twelve Days of Christmas" (Christmas version)
  • "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" (Christmas version)
  • "When You Wish Upon a Star"/"Sing, Sing, Sing" (mashup)
  • Curtain Call: "When Your Heart Makes a Wish" (Tokyo DisneySea's 15th Anniversary song)

Shops

• Indiana Jones Adventure Outpost

Food services

• Dinosaur Gertie's Ice Cream of Extinction
  • Dockside Diner
  • Oasis Canteen

Muppet Studios

A Muppet retheme of Grand Avenue.
Attractions
  • Muppet Vision*3D - Come on, I know I really enjoyed that very much but I think it needs a major revamp with more Muppet characters and newly improved technology, even from Bunsen and Beaker's inventions in Muppet Labs.
  • The Great Gonzo's Cannon Coaster
  • The Great Muppet Movie Ride - A revived version of the project that was scrapped/cancelled when Jim Henson passed away in 1990.
Shops
  • The Muppet Store
  • Gonzo's Carnival Wagon
Food services
  • PizzeRizzo (updated with rats delivering pizzas via "train track" system from the original scrapped concept "The Great Gonzo's Pandemonium Pizza Parlor")
  • The Swedish Chef's Kitchen

Toy Story Land

Attractions

• Toy Story Mania!
  • Slinky Dog Dash
  • Alien Swirling Saucers

Shops

• Al's Toy Barn

Food Services

• Woody's Lunch Box
  • Roundup Rodeo BBQ Restaurant

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge

Attractions

• Star Tours: The Adventures Continue - It would make more sense if this ride would move to this area, likely to make this park more organized.
  • Millenium Falcon: Sumggler's Run
  • Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

Shops

• Dok Ondar's Den of Anquities
  • Savi's Workshop
  • Toydarian Toyshop
  • Mubo's Droid Depot
  • Bina's Creature Stall
  • First Order Cargo
  • Resistance Supply
  • Black Spire Outfitters
  • The Jewels of Bith

Food services

• Oga's Cantina
  • Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo
  • Ronto Roasters
  • Milk Stand
  • Kat Saka's Kettle

Toon Backlot (NEW!)

This area is very similar to Toontown in California and Tokyo and Toon Studio at Walt Disney Studios Park in Paris. Here, Voyage of the Little Mermaid (because another show, King Triton's Concert from Tokyo DisneySea's Mermaid Lagoon, will appear in place of Ariel's Undersea Adventure at The Magic Kingdom) and Star Wars Launch Bay are gone for good. Centered in the area is a fountain with a statue of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit on it.

Attractions

• Animation Academy - Too bad they shut it down for good. But seriously, if it were to return, new animators will give guests chances to draw their favorite Disney and Pixar characters, including the ones from the Disney Afternoon (such as Scrooge McDuck, Launchpad McQuack, Webby, Darkwing Duck, Baloo and King Louie in their TaleSpin renditions, Don Karnage, and Chip and Dale as Rescue Rangers).
  • Toon Backlot Plaza Locations - a meet and greet area where guests greet characters from various Disney films and franchises such as Mickey and Friends, Snow White, Pinocchio, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, 101 Dalmatians, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, Winnie the Pooh, Pocahontas, Hercules, Mulan, The Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Frozen, Moana, Raya and the Last Dragon, and TV shows such as TaleSpin, DuckTales, Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers, Kim Possible, Phineas and Ferb, etc.
  • Baloo's Sky School - A wild mouse coaster-styled ride similar to Goofy's Sky School at Disney's California Adventure but a lot larger and more advanced, and the coasters are on a single rail. Here, Baloo, with the aid of Rebecca Cunningham, urges guests to fly in small airplane-shaped coasters that take off and corkscrew. Rebecca however rants on Baloo's playful compliments and the airplanes moving about throughout the ride.
  • Darkwing Duck's St. Canard Crisis - A dark ride similar to Men in Black Alien Attack at Universal Studios Florida where you help Darkwing, Gosalyn, and Morgana save St. Canard.
  • Oswald's Troubled Trolley - a simulator ride inspired from the scrapped Roger Rabbit ride Toontown Trolley. Oswald takes guests from a black-and-white zone to a colorful world where he must rescue Ortensia from The Mad Doctor. This serves as a nod to Oswald's screen debut.

Shops

• Gag Factory

Food services

• Pluto's Doghouse
  • Huey, Dewey, and Louie's Good Time Cafe
  • Clarabelle's Frozen Yogurt

Sunset Boulevard

As the name of the park suggests, the Hollywood Hills will replace the Theater of Stars featuring Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage for good.

Attractions

Shops

• Beverly Sunset Sweet Spells
  • Fantasmic! Store
  • That's a Wrap! Gifts
  • Rock 'n' Roll Gear
  • Rock Around the Shop
  • Sunset Club Couture
  • Sunset Ranch
  • Tower Hotel Gifts

Food services

• Fairfax Fare
  • Hollywood Scoops
  • Starring Rolls Cafe
  • Sunset Ranch Market

Entertainment

• Disney's All-Star Movie Motorcade (daytime parade) - A revival of Disney Stars and Motor Cars with cars, vans, and buses detailed even more like parade floats.
Now, I left most of the stores and food services the same because I couldn't think how I can make them authentically Disney film/TV show/character-themed. But let me know in the comments below and kindly be sure to check on the update of Fantasmic too! Thanks!
I wish they would FINISH EPCOT before moving on Hollywood Studios that recently got Galaxies Edge and the Runaway Railway.....

mharrington

I just saw that one too. Reviewtyme and Yesterworld's disney oriented vids are always good. The latter one I've watched the same vids multiple times.

As for the name, I don't think Kaleidoscope would work. It's too hard to spell and not many people even know what it is. I'd stick with Hollywood Studios, it's not perfect, but still fits the front of the park.
But it doesn't even function as a studio anymore, which is why it should be renamed.

MickeyMouse10

That needs to be renamed, too.

They don't have to be working studios to fit the theming.

Most of the Disney parks are filled with things that are make believe.

Magic Kingdom isn't a real castle with a real princess living it.
Kilimanjaro at Animal Kingdom isn't a real safari.

mharrington

They don't have to be working studios to fit the theming.

Most of the Disney parks are filled with things that are make believe.

Magic Kingdom isn't a real castle with a real princess living it.
Kilimanjaro at Animal Kingdom isn't a real safari.
But Magic Kingdom's castle is at least named after a "princess" (who technically isn't even a real princess, she just married into royalty), and Kilimanjaro Safaris feels like a real safari with real animals.

The Studios used to be a real studio, with real movies being made, but that died out overtime. The production of real movies was abandoned pretty early on, at least in live-action movies. The only known actual production facilities was the animation studio, which produced films like "Mulan", "Lilo and Stitch" and "Brother Bear", but even the animation exhibit abandoned real animation production in the mid-2000s.

The following video below, courtesy of Yesterworld, shows how the Backstage Studio Tour, once supposed to be the crown jewel of the Studios, waned over time until it was scrapped entirely. I think its demise is emblematic of the Studios' change in direction and the need for a new name. Watch:

J4546

im fine with the studios name. its a place to showcase disneys various studios IPs. Marvel, Pixar, Lucas Films, etc. You can also put those IPs in other parks as well, but I like the theme of a theme of a park dedicated to the various studio ips even if there no studio on the premise.

itsy bitsy spider

"The Incredibles" ride sounds... well incredible, but I’d really miss the twilight zone theming. It personifies what Hollywood Studios has been.

It would surely be another step in retheming the whole park.

Hey it’s better than a Twilight retheme. I wouldn’t want any angsty, glittering vampires… and Kristen Stewart.

It would be very interesting to see what scenes they would put in. Especially For when it goes off the original tracks and looks around the facility.

Frankenstein79

It would be very interesting to see what scenes they would put in. Especially For when it goes off the original tracks and looks around the facility.

You could tour the facility and see each of the villains’ jail cells with them in it.

The evildoers could then breakout during your guided tour (by Edna) and try to kill you. I could definitely see Elastigirl using her incredible (I had to) abilities to stop the elevator from crashing at the end.

TheMrRamonlle

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I think a modified pixar pier would be great at DHS, with a one-off e-ticket flume/boat/water based ride thats themed to nemo/dory/luca. SOmething like this. the yellow area is the one-off e-ticket. Instead of TSMM, there would be something with a monster inc theme perhaps...

this would be an amazing view from the ToT. Also the ferris wheel would be lined up perfect with the park courtyard entrance to the area. keep the sunset strip with the little stands and they act as a kinda breezeway between sunset and the pier. I think it'd be pretty swell, but I know some people dont like the pixar pier area in CA
But it seems like there would be no room for Toon Backlot attractions. Maybe if you take out the two small moats or a small portion of the entrance, that'd be alright.

MickeyMouse10

It would be pretty cool to see some new villains on the ride, like Rollergrrl, Mezmerella and Screenslaver.

2053914-rollergrrl.jpg

Great ideas, I would definitely have different villains on the attraction.

It would make it feel like a real prison. Pixar has barely even scratched the surface for what they can do with the villains in the series.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom