Creations Shop opening this summer

ImperfectPixie

While I certainly appreciate the intent behind the homage to John Hench's E.P.C.O.T. painting, I can't help but think that: 1) these statues are yet another place they're jamming characters in simply to make it more "Disney" rather than using setting-appropriate design, and 2) the whole concept of a series of matching artist-painted statues just seems kind of dated in 2021.

The concept burst on to the scene in 1999 with the Cows on Parade in Chicago, and has been copied by countless other cities around the world in the time since. They started in big trendy places, and quickly expanded to mid-level markets, to the point that nearly every city had their own spin on the idea. It seemed to hit it's peak in the mid-00s (as @Cmdr_Crimson pointed out, even Disney commissioned a set for Mickey's 75th in 2003 that toured the country for several years), but the statues have lingered around in public spaces ever since.

Pigs in Cincinnati, pandas in DC, manatees in Jacksonville, bead dogs in New Orleans, horses in Rochester, crabs in Baltimore. Big cities, small tourist destinations, self-important suburbs: they've all done it at this point. It's just been done so many times by now that the whole thing feels a little passé.

Coincidentally, the original Chicago cows included a faux-jewel-encrusted cow with a not-so-hidden-Mickey wearing a virtual reality headset near the short-lived DisneyQuest:
cows-on-parade1.jpg

It's not that there's anything about the artistry the one we've seen that feels inappropriate for Epcot. But in 2021, it just doesn't feel like something that really evokes a sense of cutting-edge futurism.

Then again, for a space whose design seems to be based on a suburban Apple Store circa 2008, maybe it's just right.
Yep. Lobsters in our town.

ImperfectPixie

While I certainly appreciate the intent behind the homage to John Hench's E.P.C.O.T. painting, I can't help but think that: 1) these statues are yet another place they're jamming characters in simply to make it more "Disney" rather than using setting-appropriate design, and 2) the whole concept of a series of matching artist-painted statues just seems kind of dated in 2021.

The concept burst on to the scene in 1999 with the Cows on Parade in Chicago, and has been copied by countless other cities around the world in the time since. They started in big trendy places, and quickly expanded to mid-level markets, to the point that nearly every city had their own spin on the idea. It seemed to hit it's peak in the mid-00s (as @Cmdr_Crimson pointed out, even Disney commissioned a set for Mickey's 75th in 2003 that toured the country for several years), but the statues have lingered around in public spaces ever since.

Pigs in Cincinnati, pandas in DC, manatees in Jacksonville, bead dogs in New Orleans, horses in Rochester, crabs in Baltimore. Big cities, small tourist destinations, self-important suburbs: they've all done it at this point. It's just been done so many times by now that the whole thing feels a little passé.

Coincidentally, the original Chicago cows included a faux-jewel-encrusted cow with a not-so-hidden-Mickey wearing a virtual reality headset near the short-lived DisneyQuest:
cows-on-parade1.jpg

It's not that there's anything about the artistry the one we've seen that feels inappropriate for Epcot. But in 2021, it just doesn't feel like something that really evokes a sense of cutting-edge futurism.

Then again, for a space whose design seems to be based on a suburban Apple Store circa 2008, maybe it's just right.
I wanted to add that I really dislike these statues - no matter what they are of or the intent, etc. They're far too reminiscent of the suburban clay studios that moms bring the kids to so they can paint already-made clay figures.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Having anything showing the original EPCOT City plan just serves to confuse 99% of people and I'm not sure why they're pushing it. It was a dead idea shortly after WDW opened.

James Alucobond

I feel the exact same way. From the concept art I'm not sure this is going to happen. When I looked at the concept art my first impression was it looked no diffrent than an Old Navy or GAP store. Other than the Mickey Mouse mural there was nothing to say this is a Disney gift shop. Hopefully I am 100 percent wrong. I'll see it in person in 16 days so fingers crossed.
I'm not quite sure what the appearance has to do with the merchandise offered, which was what the post you quoted was talking about.

CJR

What is the plan for the current, temporary Mouse Gear? Is that the new Electric Umbrella?

It wouldn't be hard to work it into more seating space for the restaurant or use it for Festival related activities for a bit.

If not, it could also be a merch location for Guardians, if they're not going to have one in the old energy building.

Cmdr_Crimson

It wouldn't be hard to work it into more seating space for the restaurant or use it for Festival related activities for a bit.

If not, it could also be a merch location for Guardians, if they're not going to have one in the old energy building.
Was that the plan? I'd figure it being in the former exit area..Then again we're not even sure since it was gutted bare..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom