Hello I am a DPA anyone else?

Muffinpants

Disney planning addict... I love planning. Sheets ,sheets and more sheets. ADRs , fast passes, snack bucket list. I love it all.

Saddly this year has really killed my love for planning. The lack of stuff and info I have has really curbed the feeling I used to get so close to a trip. 28 days till my trip and with all the new things.. I can't plan. And I'm rather embarrassed to admit but I am rather depressed and stressed out due to it.

Our days will be spur of the moment beyond ADRs and park passes telling us which park we are in. I kinda hate surprises and love planning. I am always ok with a pivot if things don't go the way we planned. But being able to plan was such a relief.

I understand genie+ is not "needed" but for a planner time is money and just not knowing how the system works is killing me.

I don't wanna sound like I'm complaining I fully know our trip will be great. I just miss the planner feeling since so much info is unknown.

Anyone else share the feeling ? Or am I just crazy?

SteveAZee

Not crazy. I like to plan (both enjoying the planning itself and also watching the plan unfold). I travel with my grown kids and their partners and friends, and I like knowing people's interests in restaurants, attractions and the like way in advance and then shape a plan using information from TouringPlans and other places. I'm a bit rattled as well with all of the changes. Unlike you, I have the luxury of time since my next trip won't be until 2023, so I have time for the World to settle, people to make their reports, and to see what strategies have worked best for people. I feel your pain being 28 days out and so much is still left unknown.

I guess my only suggestion is that you won't be alone in the chaos when you get there in four weeks. Also, perhaps, look at this upcoming trip as a 'break' from the norm and just see what you learn from going with the flow on this trip.

Upvote 0

kimberlymautz

I'm right there with ya! I LOVE planning and making Excel sheets, but all of this "unknown" stresses me out.
My best friend and I just scheduled a SUPER last minute "Mommas Only!" trip and aside from having our park reservations made I don't know anything else and I HATE that.
"Going with the flow" is very much NOT my motto, but at least with it just being us and leaving the kiddos at home (and it only being 3 days) makes me less nervous because wait times and such won't matter as much as they do when I have a 3 year old hanging on my leg whining about not being on a ride.

Upvote 0

Muffinpants

Original Poster
I'm right there with ya! I LOVE planning and making Excel sheets, but all of this "unknown" stresses me out.
My best friend and I just scheduled a SUPER last minute "Mommas Only!" trip and aside from having our park reservations made I don't know anything else and I HATE that.
"Going with the flow" is very much NOT my motto, but at least with it just being us and leaving the kiddos at home (and it only being 3 days) makes me less nervous because wait times and such won't matter as much as they do when I have a 3 year old hanging on my leg whining about not being on a ride.
I hope you have a great Momma trip!!

Upvote 0

elizzierose

I have been struggling with the same. I was always a HUGE Disney trip planner, big planner in general. I have been to WDW around 20 times in my life with the last time being in 2018. We will be going in about 6 months with our 2 kids for the first time and I feel lost and shut down not only due to all of the changes due to Covid but overall changed policies, new stuff, and advanced techology. I feel really out of the loop with little desire to take it al in and learn. Trying hard to stick in it! Hope you will feel connected to the fun planning again too.

Upvote 0

Namaari

Total Type A person here 🙋‍♀️ I'm with you on that sentiment. At the minimum, I like being able to have reservations for our dinners and (previously) FastPasses for the entire vacation, then fill in the rest of the day with activities and stuff in the parks. We'll usually make a list of things we want to see/do that day (with a Plan B and Plan C in case something doesn't work out) so we aren't wasting a bunch of time in the moment trying to decide what to do.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Not crazy at all. I do the same. We're not currently planning any WDW trips (just got back from one last month, the first since COVID), but I'm still stalking... er, I mean, following this board so I can do reconnaissance for a 2023-24 (or whenever Disney finishes with Tron and GOTG) trip.

I know that the diminution of onsite hotel perks and the introduction of Genie+ are likely to have a big impact on how we plan and what choices we make. I'm kind of sorry that the storehouse of planning information and touring strategies I've been amassing for the past 10+ years has suddenly become largely irrelevant, but at least I'll take some measure of joy in getting to "plan my planning" all over again.

Upvote 0

Po'Rich

I'm with you. We went this August, and I was probably more stressed about that trip than I had been about any of the previous ones. There was just so much uncertainty, and we didn't have FPs at the time. Generally, I like to make the plan in the comfort of my home, months before we go. We then (relatively) calmly go throughout the park, working the plan. This last trip was spent rushing from one side of the park to the other. My wife got blisters, and we frequently lost the rest of the group. Worse yet was getting up prior to 7 a.m. to see if we could scramble to get a virtual boarding pass. I understand that there are people who enjoy spontaneity, but forced spontaneity just creates a worse experience for those of us that like to plan.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom