Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

Robbiem

My understanding is that the trains are compliant as they exist. Monorails are part of separate section that mostly references intercity rail cars for its standards but in terms of platform coordination says this: “ The design of cars shall be coordinated with the boarding platform design such that the horizontal gap between a car door at rest and the platform shall be no greater than 3 inches and the height of the car floor shall be within plus or minus 5/8 inch of the platform height under all normal passenger load conditions. Vertical alignment may be accomplished by car air suspension or other suitable means of meeting the requirement.” (1192.175).

My guess is the portable ramps suffice as “other suitable means.” Most of the standards are built around individual cars, not entire trains, and we didn’t see changes made for Monorail Peach which has either new or substantially rebuilt nose cars (I don’t recall which).

The main standards for intercity rail cars also have exceptions for new and rebuilt cars operating at existing stations. My understanding is that the only issue on the trains preventing level loading is the doors but they could be changed to a different design that didn’t drop down. The far bigger issue would be rebuilding the platforms. Just raising the platforms would require rebuilding the exist stairs and ramps at the Transportation and Ticket Center. Trying to ramp up to the trains would require very precise work to meet slope and cross slope requirements. That’s a lot of work which is why the various ADA design guidelines have a variety of exceptions for existing conditions.

That sounds right to me. I’m not sure about the ADA but UK law is similar. You can provide wheelchair access by either physically altering things (platform and train floor height) to provide a permanent solution or you can use a ramp. Both have pros and cons. Ramps are cheaper but require staff to deploy and allow different height trains to use the same platforms. They also take time to use so can upset services on metros by delaying train departure. Physical solutions are more expensive but allow less able people to travel without assistance. They tend to be more expensive and disruptive to install

I think ramps would be an OK solution in WDW if wheelchair users use a designated car staff can be ready at the exit station to keep things moving smoothly.
The Mark VIIs were not brand new. Look at the body, except the nose, and you will see that they are the same ones from the Mark V. One Mark V was scrapped but they were taken off one at a time to be rebuilt.
Couldnt Disney do this is Florida? Rebuild the trains on the existing chassis so they are as ‘new’ as the ones in Disneyland

Brad Bishop

This is the Bobs

and what i ever so “slightly” jibe the praetorians about…

pricing is not microeconomics at Disney. They aren’t AT&T…for them to continue to charge more and more and more…regardless of the changing face of the customer demographics…they have to drain their “emotional reservoir”

that is not what other business have and what truly makes them unique.

which means they have a safety net AND A very delicate balance that could turn catastrophic rather quickly with bad decisions or management.

disney has always been “expensive”….but few would label it a ripoff over the years…

if that were to happen…If they were to fall in line as just a bunch of short term, greedy hacks and it becomes the consumer consensus…there is no going back.

this BOD and management structure doesn’t seem to understand that…part of that responsibility was always to balance hedge funds and customers 10-20 years from now.

As much as I think Bob is trying to find the "market price" for the parks/resorts/anything else at Disney, I think what Bob just doesn't get is the "Emotional Reservoir" that you mentioned (Nostalgia).

There's a very real problem for a business when it goes too far that its name just become synonymous with "crap". Six Flags, while never on Disney's level, used to actually compete in the "theme park" market (alongside Busch and others). Now? They're the "discount theme park" which most people associate as a kind of "Family Dollar Amusement Park". It seems to work for them, in some way, but they would have to spend a ton of money and have a multi-decade plan to ever get back to some "premium" level. Once you've soiled your name/brand, it's THAT much harder to gain it back.

I think Disney will eventually go down the "it's not worth it - they don't even keep the place up" rabbit hole at some point, which will be sad. Recovering from that will be unlikely. Right now they're burning through their nostalgia capital about as quickly as they can. People put up with the maintenance issues and rising costs and nickel and diming because: Disney is in their heart.

One by one, however, I think they're slowly coming around to: What am I doing? Each year I pay more and more and I'm getting less and less for it. It's not happening all at once. It happened to me about 5 years back. You can see where it's happening to others.

At some point all people will talk about is "How expensive it is" and there won't be any followup of, "Oh, but it's so worth it," and that's when, probably not Bob - he'll have his bonuses for meeting Wall Street forecasts, most likely his successor, will have to deal with, "How do I get this back on track?" - it'll be too late.

Rich Brownn

Thats not why 20k closed. It was an ongoing maintenance issue but had nothing to do with the boats or tracks. Just like Disneyland's it tended to leak a lot of water. Unlike Disneyland, its on the roof of another building.

deix15x8

I still think there has to be a way to build hydraulic ramps in the stations to avoid the need to modify the trains to be flush to the platform. The main issue was getting the trains to stop in the right spot each time, but the automation should have taken care of that.

lazyboy97o

Don't they also would need to make the contemporary's monorail station taller?
Yes. What I’m suggesting is a total update of the monorail system.
The vertical clearance at the Contemporary would likely involve removing access to rooms. It would only be necessary if you were switching to a different bogie design to allow pass-through between trains. That would involving raising the platforms even higher making stairs, ramps and elevators an even bigger bust or replacing beams to lower their top elevation. None of that makes sense when there are perfectly viable options that require a lot less work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom