Is this it after Guardians: Cosmic Rewind ?

When will Chappie get the heave-ho? How many more monorail doors must fall down? How many more Karens and angry Dad fights will we see? When will we see switchbacks to hold the queue at Guest Relations that out distance the Peoplemover? (When the peoplemover is operational, that is)
When will Chappie get the heave-ho? How many more monorail doors must fall down? How many more Karens and angry Dad fights will we see? When will we see switchbacks to hold the queue at Guest Relations that out distance the Peoplemover? (When the peoplemover is operational, that is)
You’d think for someone his age, he’d be more nostalgic for the old Disney, but when money talks, money talks

Little Green Men

I don’t think there is any atmosphere entertainment left in the park. Mermaid, Fantasmic, and Indy are closed.

I’d take the former park personally along with the former Epcot!
Fantasmic and Indy will reopen. I’ll take 9 rides over 2 anyday
Agreed, especially because we would get the Streets of America back, which means we would get Osborne back!

SOA that sat empty for nine months with empty facades? That SOA?

TrainsOfDisney

Fantasmic and Indy will reopen. I’ll take 9 rides over 2 anyday
2?
Tower, rock’n, great movie ride, backlot tour, star tours, midway mania. That’s 6. And I count Indy and lights, motors as major attractions as well but I realize they aren’t rides.

SOA that sat empty for nine months with empty facades? That SOA?
No. The SOA that had live entertainment all year long. (Mulch, streetmosphere, etc.)

Vegas Disney Fan

I dont expect any major additions other than Gurdians, Tron, and new spectaculars during the 50th celebration, which they’ll probably milk for 18 months, smaller things like finishing up Moana and possibly some smaller additions like the delayed Mary Poppins at Epcot and a replacement for the spinning coaster in AK. Hopefully the resumption of the Marvel E ticket for DCA also. I won’t be surprised if they use the time to keep making infrastructure changes to help traffic flow and spruce up the resorts and parks.

Disney‘s been building pretty steady over the last decade, it’s just spread out over all the parks… they redid DCA, added Pandora at AK, added 2 Galaxys edge, added Toy Story land at HS, added Marvel at DCA, redid fantasyland, built Tron, Guardians, Ratatouille, etc… not to mention building a whole new park in Shanghai, a major expansion happening at DL Paris studio park, and a major overall happening at HKDL. Also non park projects like the skyliner, new DVC resorts, new cruise ships, etc.

As fans I think we all want more but they’ve been spending billions a year for over a decade, I wouldn’t be surprised if they use Covid and the 50th as a reason to take a couple years off from announcing major expansions.

Little Green Men

2?
Tower, rock’n, great movie ride, backlot tour, star tours, midway mania. That’s 6. And I count Indy and lights, motors as major attractions as well but I realize they aren’t rides.

No. The SOA that had live entertainment all year long. (Mulch, streetmosphere, etc.)
Referring to opening year and only 5 up to 2008. And then you can still count Indy, the Cars show, B&TB.

All of which is replaced with chars in SWL

tagoofy

To my knowledge, the only project Disney has planned after TRON and Cosmic Rewind is the Splash Mountain retheme (and that's assuming construction doesn't start on that until after those rides are finished). I've also heard that some projects have been cancelled to fund the retheme.
To paraphrase Mr. Incredible... "You mean you killed off real new rides so you could build a pretend new ride?"

That is the part that really gets me, more than loosing the nostalgic of the old ride, spending money that should be used on additional attractions to "fix" an attraction that is still immensely popular.

Hawg G

Referring to opening year and only 5 up to 2008. And then you can still count Indy, the Cars show, B&TB.

All of which is replaced with chars in SWL

But all of what they did the last 7 or so years was basically forced upon them by the parks being severely overwhelmed. They fixed 3 of the parks, meaning they are just normal overcrowded. But absolutely still in need of more new stuff. And Tron sure won't fix the MK.

JusticeDisney

Disney better have something cooking.

A bunch of months back some people were arguing with me on here that Epic Universe wouldn't be worked on again for a very long time. They started up back earlier this year and will be openness early 2025.

If WDW let's them open Epic Universe with nothing major to counter it - monumental mistake. I would expect something huge to get announced by WDW sometime in 2023. 1.5 years before Epic Universe opens is perfect timing to steal some hype away.

Universal is eating Disney's lunch. They better step up or things may be very different in 5-10 years.
Just out of curiosity, when all 4 WDW parks outdraw both Universal parks, how exactly is it that you feel that Universal is “eating Disney’s lunch?” I mean, setting aside any personal preference that you may have as to the particular parks, all that really matters to both companies is the bottom line.

Hawg G

Just out of curiosity, when all 4 WDW parks outdraw both Universal parks, how exactly is it that you feel that Universal is “eating Disney’s lunch?” I mean, setting aside any personal preference that you may have as to the particular parks, all that really matters to both companies is the bottom line.
Because satisfaction numbers were plummeting for Disney due to overcrowding? And all of Disney’s recent changes to prices and ride access are most certainly not going to both increase satisfaction and attendance?

Disney attendance may be fundamentally changed going forward. Especially after the 50th surge. Once EU opens, Universal will absolutely be a full week resort.

When you compare the number of rides built this century at WDW and Universal, especially after EU, Disney looks pretty sad. Especially if you add in all of IOA from 1999. I just don’t see another generation brainwashed into thinking their happy place is staying for a week, riding 30+ year old rides, and staying at $400 a night motels with 20 foot long water slides at the main pool.

JusticeDisney

Because satisfaction numbers were plummeting for Disney due to overcrowding? And all of Disney’s recent changes to prices and ride access are most certainly not going to both increase satisfaction and attendance?

Disney attendance may be fundamentally changed going forward. Especially after the 50th surge. Once EU opens, Universal will absolutely be a full week resort.

When you compare the number of rides built this century at WDW and Universal, especially after EU, Disney looks pretty sad. Especially if you add in all of IOA from 1999. I just don’t see another generation brainwashed into thinking their happy place is staying for a week, riding 30+ year old rides, and staying at $400 a night motels with 20 foot long water slides at the main pool.
You might be right with a lot of what you just said. Then again, you might be wrong. People have been predicting similar things about Disney for quite some time, and up to now it has always proven to be wrong. Again, maybe that changes going forward and you might be spot on. In any event, most of what you put in your post is speculative. And up to this point in time, which is all we can really talk about right now, Universal has done anything but eat Disney’s lunch. Indeed, to the contrary Disney has utterly dominated Universal when it comes to the one and only thing which matters - attendance revenue.

Dan Deesnee

I don't prefer Universal over Disney at all, quite the opposite (outside of the Wizarding World which I adore).

I don't have time to find it right now but I read in at least a few publications that Universals attendance numbers had been steadily increasing over the 5 years leading up to 2020 and WDWs were decreasing.

In a recent pool Magic Kingdom slipped from number 1-2 all the way to position 9. Although Universal didn't make the top 10.

Again I'll try to find the links but the gist of it was that Universal was climbing while WDW was slipping. Epic Universe is only going to accelerate Universal while Disney continuous to penny pinch guests (unless they course correct, obviously). But even if Disney lowers prices, adds new free services, etc. that won't change the fact the Epic Universe will be a massive draw, even more so if Disney has nothing to counter it but new cupcakes.

JusticeDisney

I don't prefer Universal over Disney at all, quite the opposite (outside of the Wizarding World which I adore).

I don't have time to find it right now but I read in at least a few publications that Universals attendance numbers had been steadily increasing over the 5 years leading up to 2020 and WDWs were decreasing.

In a recent pool Magic Kingdom slipped from number 1-2 all the way to position 9. Although Universal didn't make the top 10.

Again I'll try to find the links but the gist of it was that Universal was climbing while WDW was slipping. Epic Universe is only going to accelerate Universal while Disney continuous to penny pinch guests (unless they course correct, obviously). But even if Disney lowers prices, adds new free services, etc. that won't change the fact the Epic Universe will be a massive draw, even more so if Disney has nothing to counter it but new cupcakes.
I agree with that you are saying. But I will believe Universal outdrawing WDW when I see it with my own eyes, and not before then. Heck, at this point in time, Universal should simply strive for not coming in 5th and 6th out of the 6 parks. Just one Universal park beating out just one WDW park would be a victory for them.

Hawg G

You might be right with a lot of what you just said. Then again, you might be wrong. People have been predicting similar things about Disney for quite some time, and up to now it has always proven to be wrong. Again, maybe that changes going forward and you might be spot on. In any event, most of what you put in your post is speculative. And up to this point in time, which is all we can really talk about right now, Universal has done anything but eat Disney’s lunch. Indeed, to the contrary Disney has utterly dominated Universal when it comes to the one and only thing which matters - attendance revenue.
Potter took a MASSIVE bite out of WDW.

Dan Deesnee

And yet Universal still can’t beat any of the WDW parks in attendance.

That is irrelevant. It's growth, that is all that matters. Right now and for a while Universal has been closing the gap and Disney is extremely concerned (as a publicly traded company they have to be).

You can read the AECOM report in 2019 in this here https://aecom.com/theme-index/

I took a few screenshots. Look at that gap closing in a massive way:

Screenshot_20210908-114032_Xodo Docs.jpg

Screenshot_20210908-114004_Xodo Docs.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom