Creations Shop opening this summer

Sir_Cliff

I thought it was strange that Zach never mentioned the artist’s name in his epically long description. According to Twitter, it’s Francisco Herrera (@herrerabox). Talented guy, but not really my thing.
Yeah, I was quite surprised he didn't name the artist. Was an odd choice to emphasise that the artist's brush strokes could be seen, but then not to mention who the artist was and act as though it was just anonymously churned out of the big DisneyParks machine. Maybe it would have helped to head off some of the criticism if people could at least see they had commissioned an artist who has a particular style and who had worked with Disney before.

castlecake2.0

Yeah, I was quite surprised he didn't name the artist. Was an odd choice to emphasise that the artist's brush strokes could be seen, but then not to mention who the artist was and act as though it was just anonymously churned out of the big DisneyParks machine. Maybe it would have helped to head off some of the criticism if people could at least see they had commissioned an artist who has a particular style and who had worked with Disney before.
It’s usually a tradition in the parks to not mention individual artists/imagineers contributions to projects and leave it as a collective effort of the organization. “There’s only one name above the door and it’s Walt’s”.

JohnD

I'm not outraged about the mural. But I agree that an Epcot mural would have been much more appropriate. The 'Epcot is dead' crowd is starting to get to me.
With a mural like that, how about something that makes more sense. Well “Mouse” it’s about Mickey Mouse after all. And, well, gear is sold. I know, “Mouse Gear”! Gad, I’m good.

Sir_Cliff

It’s usually a tradition in the parks to not mention individual artists/imagineers contributions to projects and leave it as a collective effort of the organization. “There’s only one name above the door and it’s Walt’s”.
I guess that makes sense to some degree, though I still think making a point that "you can see the brushstrokes and movement directly from the artist’s hands" and then refusing to name the artist because they all work for the Walt Disney Company and that's the only name that matters reads as weirdly cold and corporate.

castlecake2.0

I guess that makes sense to some degree, though I still think making a point that "you can see the brushstrokes and movement directly from the artist’s hands" and then refusing to name the artist because they all work for the Walt Disney Company and that's the only name that matters reads as weirdly cold and corporate.
I’ll have to dig out my Marty Sklar book, he explains it well there. It’s not mean to be cold, more that the overall show is a collective effort and no one person is more important than the other in brining the show to life.

lazyboy97o

Marty would praise him. My impression of him is that he was a company man, at least in public.
Marty publicly attacked fans, including the Blair family and current creative head of Pixar, over their dislike of the changes to “it’s a small world”. Zach’s Instagram is probably the contemporary equivalent of how he got his start.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Marty publicly attacked fans, including the Blair family and current creative head of Pixar, over their dislike of the changes to “it’s a small world”. Zach’s Instagram is probably the contemporary equivalent of how he got his start.
The IASW stuff rings a bell now that you mention it. He got rather testy over criticism of the changes, didn’t he?

Inspired Figment

Well.. yes, he was defensive. Though I understand he was doing it basically to protect his job. The only problem with that though is the fact that management clearly has/had no respect or care for him, his colleagues, or the attractions in the parks for that matter unless it strictly benefits them in essence, not the brand they’re supposed to be representing, along with if they believe it’ll please shareholders. So doing what Marty did in all honesty it doesn’t benefit really anybody in that situation.. as clearly upper management just doesn’t want Disney to be Disney for whatever bizarre reason.. despite that getting them more popular & providing more profits long term to shareholders. I get why he did it.. but unless there was solid evidence management would change and he could stay in there to eventually push the needed change in continuing Walt’s legacy with everyone else there that wants do the same, what he did with the fans was ultimately useless.. as upper management is most certainly not on his side. The fans are though. I also get the hope/faith that it eventually would and to continue having good relationships with management to they could wait for that moment and be in the position to do what they ultimately wanted to do.. it’s a bit difficult to really explain. The truth is, Upper management just hasn’t given a s**t about Disney as an entity, it’s integrity or it’s legacy, or anybody working there that’s doing all they can to keep it’s legacy, values, & spirit alive. Which is completely detrimental to everybody, including the shareholders they’re supposed to be pleasing. As what made Disney so long lasting & profitable to begin with was it’s creativity, thematic integrity, and attention to detail & quality. So I mainly blame Bob Iger & co. in upper management for that problem. As I understand it, Disney was willing to completely bulldoze Small World in favor of another Film IP attraction in that space. But it was thanks to proposals of shoehorning in film ip characters that saved it, as then the executives could boost sales on more Film IP character merch in that space for their own bizarre agenda.

Ultimately though, both any film IP ride pitches & the shoehorning of the characters inside was useless/pointless. As if you look now, Small World merch on its own.. sells lots & is very popular. If they had simply did that to begin with & simply enhanced the spfx & AAs within the attraction. It would’ve done just as well if not better than what they ended up doing to it .

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

Also, considering how well Disney merch as a whole’s sold over the years. I ‘highly’ doubt that film ip characters revamp would’ve had much effect on sales to begin with.. Disney merch sells in general anyway. If it’s well-made and unique/creative enough. It’ll sell.

Last edited:

doctornick

That's fine, but you could then mention multiple people who contributed to the work including the artist. Acknowledging that it is a collaborate effort.

hpyhnt 1000

"...iconic EPCOT landmarks and characters." So, I guess that means lots of zombie Mickey and off-brand Mickey merch!

Snark aside, I genuinely like the look of the items shown. Certainly wouldn't say no to the backpack or mug.

ToTBellHop

"...iconic EPCOT landmarks and characters." So, I guess that means lots of zombie Mickey and off-brand Mickey merch!

Snark aside, I genuinely like the look of the items shown. Certainly wouldn't say no to the backpack or mug.
Let’s hope it is the start of more Epcot-exclusives here and I’ll be too mesmerized by the retail to notice the “art”.

lazyboy97o

Well.. yes, he was defensive. Though I understand he was doing it basically to protect his job.
He was retired. Firing him from being Imagineering Ambassador probably would have made the whole thing worse.

I see what you’re saying but that’s just not imagineering’s SOP
The Instagram account of a single individual creative executive being used as a PR mouthpiece also goes against that same conceit of a group effort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom