The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

Haymarket2008

He should have been there with Pinocchio. They found room to add a butterfly to Bambi.

There’s also no one from the Muppets, which has a long-standing attraction. But we all know these statues aren’t about Walt Disney World. 🙁

Ugh. I understand that they would never have picked obscure park stars, but not even Big Al, a Tiki Bird or the Hitchhiking Ghosts?? Very disappointing.

Cesar R M

He should have been there with Pinocchio. They found room to add a butterfly to Bambi.

There’s also no one from the Muppets, which has a long-standing attraction. But we all know these statues aren’t about Walt Disney World. 🙁
I think someone already confirmed that these are "Iger's 50 years of acquisitions"
I'm surprised they haven't made the simpsons yet.

Dan Deesnee

Anyone have a list of obvious characters that have so far been excluded from the Fab 50, like Jimminy?

I mean I get Pua and Heyhey (don't care about spelling them right) because they have 18 seconds of screen time... But there seem to be some obvious omissions.

Casper Gutman

Ugh. I understand that they would never have picked obscure park stars, but not even Big Al, a Tiki Bird or the Hitchhiking Ghosts?? Very disappointing.
Oddly, Universal is more respectful of the HHN icons like Jack or the Caretaker, which are not only park-specific but also seasonal, then Disney is to figures like Big Al and the pirates, who have been around every day for 50 years AND appeared in major films. You can find a lot more merch of the HHN icons then of any WDW park stars, and they’re trotted out every five years for new shows and attractions.

Almost like characters that originate in a theme park are valuable IPs.

BaymaxFan

Orange Bird, Figment, The Country bears, The Hitchhiking ghosts, and others are major park characters that deserve recognition imo. I know orange bird and figment are getting some but that's it. Even Jiminy Cricket, who is from a movie, has had a major role in the parks and deserves recognition.

JohnD

Any rumblings being heard about a October 1st 'ceremony' to mark the day in the Park?
I would LIKE to think something will take place....to honor the actual day itself.

We are twenty something days away at this point....surprised I haven't heard even a whisper yet about something possibly going down.

-
Probably. But you’ve already indicated the bloggers and vloggers will be racing to be first in the park. They can have it. I’ll wake up, have my leisurely free breakfast off-site, then will make my way there. But I’m not breaking my neck to get to those special events.

BaymaxFan

What are the chances Magic Kingdom opens earlier than 9am on the 1st? I know they are supposed to have the 30 minute early entry for resort guests but I don't think that's going to be the case.

When SW:GE opened in 2019 they opened DHS 2 hours early, that's why I wonder.

Also, for the 25th they had filmed Good Morning America live at MK, anyone know if that will happen again this year? That would be cool.

Cesar R M

I did notice when Disney posted an image of Miguel and Coco on Instagram to celebrate #HispanicLatinxHeritageMonth, almost all the top-rated comments were people with Latin American heritage making that exact point. Seems like they're undercutting what they're trying to achieve.

It's a very interesting clash of sensitivities and a bit of a minefield at the moment. Polls suggest Hispanic/Latino people by a large majority don't use or particularly like the term but it has become almost ubiquitous in corporate and academic language.

As for the sign, the current one is not perfect but I do prefer something like that tothe polaroids of the Let the Memories Begin sign.
I have YET to see a SINGLE latinamerican who wants to be dumped into a single umbrella.
Thats as bad as saying all tan people are "from Africa".
And everyone I know, online or real life..living in the USA or anywhere.. have said the same thing : This whole latinX was invented not by latinos.

Infact, its a recurring joke in twitter and tumblr under the infamous umbrella of "oh the caucasity!".

Cesar R M

Impossible since The Simpsons is currently at Universal, which is miles away from WDW.
That did not stop Disney from trying to use Marvel characters. Using the Guardians as loophole.

How do you take Frozone over Jack Jack from Incredibles? Seriously?

I think they also take into consideration how it will look into the golden style.
Who knows if JackJack looked hellish in gold XD

Anyone remembers THAT Ronaldo's statue? :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

BaymaxFan

I have YET to see a SINGLE latinamerican who wants to be dumped into a single umbrella.
Thats as bad as saying all tan people are "from Africa".
And everyone I know, online or real life..living in the USA or anywhere.. have said the same thing : This whole latinX was invented not by latinos.

Infact, its a recurring joke in twitter and tumblr under the infamous umbrella of "oh the caucasity!".
I'm Ecuadorian and I hate the term "latinx". I'm fine with just being called Spanish or Latin

James Alucobond

The clock looks good now the lamps need something lol.
The lampposts are in the process of being repainted now. The majority of the fixture remains the existing green color (though freshly redone), but there are two bands of gold at the base, and the crown-shaped detailing at the top is also gold.

CTXRover

20210905_172427.jpg
20210905_172535.jpg

A work in progress on the lampposts. At this time, it appears that every other lamppost on each side has the top done and the ones closest to the castle have extra bands.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom