Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

britain

Critter Country isn’t going anywhere. The new ride still is emphasizing anthropomorphic animals that play musical instruments (see silhouettes in background of new concept art). The attraction is not “moving” to NOS. It could still take place further up the Mississippi where there are hills.

And they aren’t going to add a New Orleans section to WDW’s Frontierland either. It fits as well as Country Bear Vacation Hoedown, which still plays just a stone’s throw away.

Sharon&Susan

Critter Country isn’t going anywhere. The new ride still is emphasizing anthropomorphic animals that play musical instruments (see silhouettes in background of new concept art). The attraction is not “moving” to NOS. It could still take place further up the Mississippi where there are hills.

And they aren’t going to add a New Orleans section to WDW’s Frontierland either. It fits as well as Country Bear Vacation Hoedown, which still plays just a stone’s throw away.
You mean Country Bear Jamboree? Vacation Hoedown has been gone at WDW for almost three decades now.

britain

Pooh and Splash Mountain being in the same land has always fascinated me in a weird way. Is it implying that Pooh and Song of the South inhabit the same universe?

Does Indiana Jones live in the same universe as Tarzan/Swiss Family Robinson? Did Captain Nemo live in the same universe as Snow White?

These themed lands are loose constructs, only in rare instances like galaxy’s edge are they super specific.

BasiltheBatLord

Does Indiana Jones live in the same universe as Tarzan/Swiss Family Robinson? Did Captain Nemo live in the same universe as Snow White?

These themed lands are loose constructs, only in rare instances like galaxy’s edge are they super specific.
Sure, but if Critter Country is the country of the critters then why is Toad in Fantasyland etc.

Obviously there is a logical answer to that question but I’m just theorizing thematically. The fact that CC is only Splash and Pooh almost seems like it’s trying to infer something. They both take place in “non-descript countryside” and so they think they can exist together somehow.

The Mom

Premium Member
Rather than having to go through and delete all political/social issues posts, just know that they will be deleted from this point forward. Posts similar to the one above by @BasiltheBatLord are perfectly acceptable, as they deal with the actual attraction change without going into all of the political/social issues behind it. I know some of you will consider this spoiling your fun. Too bad.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
They both take place in “non-descript countryside” and so they think they can exist together somehow.

That's pretty much it I think. There was an empty space for a dark ride and Disney thought adding Winnie the pooh would work where it felt like a country side. Frankly I like the quirky, cheap little dark rides. Something to do after waiting an hour for splash.

Professortango1

Sure, but if Critter Country is the country of the critters then why is Toad in Fantasyland etc.

Obviously there is a logical answer to that question but I’m just theorizing thematically. The fact that CC is only Splash and Pooh almost seems like it’s trying to infer something. They both take place in “non-descript countryside” and so they think they can exist together somehow.

CC is a "real-world" place in the American backwoods where animals talk and and interact, but are still animals. Pooh has British origins and half of the characters are technically stuffed animals, but those aspects have been heavily downplayed for decades. At a passing glance to most guests, they don't perceive Pooh as any different than Rabbit, Owl, or Gopher. They also wouldn't tell you that Pooh and Tigger are British.

Now Mr. Toad is similar, but a little different. Number 1, these characters are distinctly British. They also co-habitate alongside humans. Toad has a mansion and drives a car and plot is concerned with a legal document/fraud rather than naturalistic themes that we see from Pooh and Uncle Remus stories (finding food, surviving predators, surviving the elements, etc)

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Capture.PNG

Found this on Instagram today. I thought it was pretty neat. Also if they replace the body shells they could pretty easily turn Goosio here into a new character

Dear Prudence

Let's talk potential music changes. I know this has been covered before in these threads, but I think it's worth talking about since it's actual attraction discussion.
-DL and WDW Splash have completely different soundtracks because they are different ride experiences, are the rethemes going to be the same to fit their surroundings?
-Are we getting new songs, or is this going to be like Frozen Ever After, where it's all just recycled? (Much like the music of Frozen, I think PATF/ Randy Newman music for the most part is reductive, banal, and cliché , save 'Let it Go' and 'Friends on the Other Side,' respectively)(edit: 'Almost There' is also pretty good, but if it wasn't sung by Anika Noni Rose I don't think it would have been.)
-What is the likelihood of getting something of the scale of 'Compass of Your Heart' or the orchestral/ choral arrangements of DL's Splash? Or, given the budget that they've proposed, is basically the era of that kind of quality behind us?

Brer Panther

Let's talk potential music changes. I know this has been covered before in these threads, but I think it's worth talking about since it's actual attraction discussion.
-DL and WDW Splash have completely different soundtracks because they are different ride experiences, are the rethemes going to be the same to fit their surroundings?
-Are we getting new songs, or is this going to be like Frozen Ever After, where it's all just recycled? (Much like the music of Frozen, I think PATF/ Randy Newman music for the most part is reductive, banal, and cliché , save 'Let it Go' and 'Friends on the Other Side,' respectively)(edit: 'Almost There' is also pretty good, but if it wasn't sung by Anika Noni Rose I don't think it would have been.)
-What is the likelihood of getting something of the scale of 'Compass of Your Heart' or the orchestral/ choral arrangements of DL's Splash? Or, given the budget that they've proposed, is basically the era of that kind of quality behind us?
I honestly wouldn't expect Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom's versions to have different soundtracks, or for either version to have new songs. If this retheme is truly being done on the cheap, I'd say we'll at least be getting new arrangements of songs from the film and that's about it.

Roger_the_pianist

The soundtrack element is one thing that sets the two American Splash Mtns apart. The Critter Country one is more jazzy (New Orleans) and the Frontierland version is more country western (wild west, Country Bears)

I don't see the need for there to be any difference in the two with Tiana songs.

We'll probably get more incidental music. One thing about Splash is you ride around outside for a bit just listening to music. I love the ride through concepts some have posted with music straight out of the film.

Dear Prudence

I honestly wouldn't expect Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom's versions to have different soundtracks, or for either version to have new songs. If this retheme is truly being done on the cheap, I'd say we'll at least be getting new arrangements of songs from the film and that's about it.
Considering how much larger the WDW version is (and longer), I wonder how they're going to get the two to line up. 🤔

Dear Prudence

The soundtrack element is one thing that sets the two American Splash Mtns apart. The Critter Country one is more jazzy (New Orleans) and the Frontierland version is more country western (wild west, Country Bears)

I don't see the need for there to be any difference in the two with Tiana songs.

We'll probably get more incidental music. One thing about Splash is you ride around outside for a bit just listening to music. I love the ride through concepts some have posted with music straight out of the film.
The two American Splash Mountains are complete different, not just the soundtracks. The WDW has a different design, the characters look slightly different, WDW has a few more gags and scenes, is longer, etc. They're about 65% different from each other.

The bit about just riding around outside listening to music is that the music currently isn't built around the same 3 or 4 repetitive Newman chords. It's one thing if they're sprinkled in a movie and have capable singers. I am just not convinced they're going to hold up as instrumentals without considerable TLC.

misfitdoll

And yes, if they get anything close to Compass of Your Heart it would be a win, but that’s probably unrealistic. My family still randomly sings “Compass” all the time, despite the fact that 1. we haven’t been on the ride in four years and 2. it is mostly in Japanese. Alan Menken wrote Compass though, and he’s a much better songwriter IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom