Trip Report Hurry back... Hurry back... (Now a trip report!)

Its Happening The Office GIF by NBC
That's right! Baby's first "post" (? perhaps peri-) pandemic Disney trip. When? Why, during the absolute brutal heat of August, of course! Details are subject to change because technicallyyyyyy my time off hasn't yet been approved however... I booked everything anyways 😛. At the moment, looking at a stay at Pop! and will be hitting up Epcot, MK, and MGM/DHS (?). And I must be honest with you. I really must...
IMG_7675.PNG

Yes I... I....
tenor.gif

I'm trying to get Boo Bash tickets. Yes, Ms. I Will Never Pay for An After Hours Event is attempting to pay for an After Hours Event. But as you can see, it sure ain't working! So that is up in the air right now because I got bored calling over and over again. Honestly feel like I'm spending more money than usual but rationalizing it by saying "ohhhh but I haven't been in sooooooo long". And if I'm being ENTIRELY HONEST, the big allure for Boo Bash is more Haunted Mansion time lol.

How the heck does one get a boarding group for ROTR these days? What's the freshest strategy? Also I have no dining reservations because I can't decide where I should eat/if it's worth sitting down for a real meal. Any recommendations?

It sure has been a while (I was kinda too bummed out to read the forums without being able to go), so hi everyone!!!

tonystark

Original Poster
IMG_8966.jpg

Tomorrowland at night
standing ovation GIF

IMG_8968.jpg

It is TIME.
I know I'm getting old when a ride on Space Mountain incapacitates me for like 5 minutes and it hurts to turn my neck. I know, I know, it's because I tense up.
IMG_8972.jpg

One day I shall leap over this partition into the ball pit!!
ATTRACTION 51 COMPLETE!
There's only one way to un-incapacitate myself...
IMG_8974.jpg

Again!!!
IMG_8975.jpg

forgive the hat hair and ignore what my eyes are doing because they are disturbing me ok let us move on. This was a much smoother go-round and I emerged feeling less beaten up.
ATTRACTION 52 COMPLETE!
IMG_8976.jpg

On my way to my next attraction, I passed this... dance party. They were playing Party Rock Anthem. I kid you not. I could have done without that, thanks.

IMG_8977.jpg

You know what we've gotta do....
IMG_8980.jpg

climb GIF

65094808046__A03410F0-39C5-49F1-BCBD-F8072240EB75.jpg

Hat hair again, FORGIVE ME!!
ATTRACTION 53 COMPLETE!
IMG_8986.jpg

On my way out of Tomorrowland for the trip, I stopped for some candy.

tonystark

Original Poster
IMG_8988.jpg

Quiet...
IMG_8989.jpg

JK, I'm faking you out with this. I got out of line because it wasn't moving fast enough and it was now 11:11 pm (oooh)
IMG_8990.jpg

dblbcuy.gif

JK I love Pirates.
ATTRACTION 54 COMPLETE!
65095039760__F30BD154-3408-4B29-9BCA-B8B787A775D4.jpg

Where to?
original.gif

IMG_8992.jpg

Oooh very spooky lighting. I didn't stop to watch Carlotta because I didn't care (just as you have not seen a single cavalcade image for Boo Ba$h, because I didn't... care.)
IMG_8993.jpg

Eric Andre GIF

IMG_8994.jpg

IMG_8996.jpg

guys omg im TRAPPED in this room that has no windows and no doors!!! someone send help!!
IMG_8997.jpg

And now, a carriage approaches to take you into the boundless realm of the supernatural...
ATTRACTION 55 COMPLETE!
12:18 am... the clock is ticking... what to do next?
schitts creek comedy GIF by CBC

IMG_8998.jpg

tonystark

Original Poster
IMG_8999.jpg

Got stuck with Leota for a minute or two but I didn't mind... I SAVORED it.
IMG_9002.jpg

12:28 am... Over too soon. If I had sprinted, I probably could have made it on one last ride... But... I like even numbers, so ATTRACTION 56 COMPLETE (PHEW!)
IMG_9004.jpg

Good night castle...
IMG_9005.jpg

Good night Mickey pumpkin light and also Main Street and also the Hub...
IMG_9006.jpg

Good night entrance plaque...
IMG_9007.jpg

Must I...?
IMG_9008.jpg

Yes... I'm afraid I must.
Cry Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

IMG_9009.jpg

Why I thought this would somehow display incoming bus times, I don't know. You can't blame me, it was nearing 1 am and my usual bedtime is 10pm ok I was no longer lucid at this point.
IMG_9010.jpg

Bob Iger's final cruel joke was to send a Figment bus to pick me up and carry me back to Pop at 1:04 am.

I got back to the room, showered, pj'd, and read like 3 pages of my book because a daily goal is a daily goal REGARDLESS OF WHAT TIME IT IS!!
ATTRACTION COUNT FOR THE DAY: 21
STEP COUNT: 26,251
GRAND TOTAL ATTRACTION COUNT: 56

tonystark

Original Poster
I was all set to sleep in. I had my alarm set for 9:30, I wanted to be on the road by 11, I didn't have to be back at work until the following day...

My brain woke me up a little after 7:00. OKAY, FINE! I got ready, packed up the car (did not have to stop at the front desk to check out which was nice), and made one last stop at the gift shop to grab my sister SOMETHING and.... in the end... myself something as well.
IMG_9013.jpg

For my sister (she really loved the pin)
And for myself?
IMG_9021.jpg

IMG_9022.jpg

Did I drop this the following day and dent the bottom?
Winona Ryder Movie GIF by filmeditor

But I'll never tell....

I made it home in one piece, did not contract COVID, and have a lot of after-trip thoughts that will have to come in a follow-up post likely tomorrow. Thanks for following along!

Laurenciaa

View attachment 584860
Got stuck with Leota for a minute or two but I didn't mind... I SAVORED it.
View attachment 584861
12:28 am... Over too soon. If I had sprinted, I probably could have made it on one last ride... But... I like even numbers, so ATTRACTION 56 COMPLETE (PHEW!)
View attachment 584862
Good night castle...
View attachment 584864
Good night Mickey pumpkin light and also Main Street and also the Hub...
View attachment 584865
Good night entrance plaque...
View attachment 584866
Must I...?
View attachment 584867
Yes... I'm afraid I must.
Cry Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

View attachment 584868
Why I thought this would somehow display incoming bus times, I don't know. You can't blame me, it was nearing 1 am and my usual bedtime is 10pm ok I was no longer lucid at this point.
View attachment 584869
Bob Iger's final cruel joke was to send a Figment bus to pick me up and carry me back to Pop at 1:04 am.

I got back to the room, showered, pj'd, and read like 3 pages of my book because a daily goal is a daily goal REGARDLESS OF WHAT TIME IT IS!!
ATTRACTION COUNT FOR THE DAY: 21
STEP COUNT: 26,251
GRAND TOTAL ATTRACTION COUNT: 56
Really liked your Boo Bash pictures @tonystark! Also very much jealous how you can keep this lighning speed pace during the day/night. Kuddos for that!

Songbird76

you all have earned my esteem with your oohing and awwwing... all it takes for me to make a purchase is 1. it's haunted mansion related 2.... it has a holographic effect
I saw on DFB the other day that they have a haunted mansion projector on I think it was shop Disney. It made me think of you!

tonystark

Original Poster
Really liked your Boo Bash pictures @tonystark! Also very much jealous how you can keep this lighning speed pace during the day/night. Kuddos for that!
revenge of the sith episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

my Disney STRATEGY!
I enjoyed your trip report, I am amazed at how much you were able to do.
Thank you!
I saw on DFB the other day that they have a haunted mansion projector on I think it was shop Disney. It made me think of you!
Supposedly they are selling them at Home Depot/Lowe's.... I am going to investigate. I've also heard that Spirit Halloween is stocking a lot of HM items for some unknown reason, so I'll be checking that out when the one in my town finally opens!
Hmm…. An apple with a single bite taken from it? Where have I seen that before?…

snow white apple GIF

no way do not want GIF by CBC
But WHO would leave a poisoned apple on Main Street USA?
334im.jpg

tonystark

Original Poster
THE GOOD
  1. Despite WALLCOT being an absolute mess, I had a great day there productivity-wise. 20 rides in one day at WALLCOT of all places is pretty unheard of. Not to mention, the weather was nice and cool that day.
  2. School bread continues to amaze me
  3. I rode Haunted Mansion a LOT. 10 times I think? I can't show you guys my on-ride photos because I believe screenshots are probably not allowed, but each time I did a count with my fingers because I'm #cool #like #that. I also never look at the camera even though I'm certain that I look at it every time.
  4. The chicken nuggets I consumed were good.
  5. La Hacienda de San Angel was great! I feel like it doesn't get enough hype.
  6. My room at Pop was quite comfortable and I couldn't have asked for a closer location to the food court/parking lot.
  7. I got some good merchandise! (Most of these were wants rather than needs which required reflection upon returning home once the Disney blinders had been removed).
  8. My Boo Ba$h strategy was successful.
  9. I surpassed my previous record of 53 attractions in the span of 3 days - now I'll have to ride/do 57 attractions LOL. Hey, if you count my 4 rides on the Skyliner, that would get me to 60, but... That's obscene, so we're not counting them.
  10. (the Skyliner, while terrifying, was actually pretty fun and I definitely felt like I was getting to EPCOT/DHS much faster than if I had taken the bus, but don't tell Bob that I said that)
THE BAD
  1. My sandwich at the Plaza was wretched.
  2. It was hot - I knew it would be hot going in. I think any sort of belief that Floridians know how to handle heat better than X/Y/Z is incorrect. I think we actually know how to stay inside when it is too hot to function. A trip to Disney in mid-August is killer. I KNEW this going in, and I still went. But never again lol.
  3. I didn't get to ride Jungle Cruise! The line for it was long no matter the time of day, and I wasn't going to waste precious Boo Ba$h time on it. I imagine this is due to the film, but who knows.
  4. Tensions were running high. I had to stop two CMs in Tomorrowland to let them know that a fist fight was breaking out in line at the Mad Tea Party (no joke, guys, I was scampering to find someone so that security could be called). I also heard a lot of snide comments about wearing masks - which, like, whatever, but you've chosen to come to Disney knowing that these are the rules but WHATEVER I DIGRESS WHATEVER.
THE UGLY
This is the first time I've come home from a Disney trip and felt frustrated. It's hard to put into words, really, but I think the overwhelming thing I feel is that I don't think the value is there anymore. I was looking up flights to Paris this week for fun and had the sudden realization that for what I spent at Disney World for 3 DAYS, I probably could've gone to Paris for a week. There are roundtrip flights to Paris for 489$. Granted, I can't go to Europe right now (TEEHEE THANK YOU CORONAVIRUS YOU SURE STAY DOING THE MOST!), but the fact remains that there's a lot of the world out there that I still haven't seen, and I have started to ask myself whether Disney is the best bucket for met to dump my money in. I know you guys don't come on here to read depressing stuff, but it's how I feel. Especially after the announcement of Genie+, if my eyes could roll completely backwards into my skull, they would have. Paying for something that was free in the not so distant past is not something that I am willing to do. BUT PAYING TO PARK AT DISNEY HOTELS!, you cry, thinking you've caught me. And you know what? You're right. There's really no benefit to staying on property at present - I don't care about an hour of EMH in the mornings, and I think it's classist that they're holding nighttime EMH for Deluxe resort guests only. You can argue that Disney's current business strategy in general is classist, and you'd be correct - but this continuing trend of valuing certain customers over others does put a bad taste in my mouth. Consider Boo Bash - it is a rip off. There's no denying that. I paid 130 some odd dollars for 5.5 hours of park time. That's absolutely crazy. Yes, I was able to get a bunch of rides in, but there was no possible way to do EVERYTHING at Boo Bash. If I had cared about treats, cavalcades, and character meet'n'greets in addition to riding rides, I probably would have accomplished nothing. And I do feel like After Hours Parties will prevail over MVMCP and MNSSHP, even though I tore Boo Bash to shreds in the survey I received, because I don't WANT that to be the case.

I tell you what, Bob, start selling a ticket that allows me to walk through MK and only ride HM and PeopleMover, and I'll happily buy it, because that's really all I care about lol. Maybe one ride on Carousel of Progress, too. And I don't think I'm feeling this way because of COVID - I don't care about having to wear masks, and as I've said, I don't really care about fireworks. But maybe the ambiance was a little lacking? Maybe some subconscious part of me expects to be held up by parades and kind of enjoys it? Who knows. Heck, when they announced new APs, I did take a look - but it doesn't feel like many perks come with it, so I'm holding off. I'm not going to lie to you and say I'm NEVER GOING BACK TO DISNEY WORLD!, because I'd also be lying to myself. My grandma wants to do a trip in January, and I won't turn her down because that's our thing. All these rambling thoughts to say, I got my fill of HM, and will enjoy reading everyone's TRs - but for now... Man, I wish I was sitting outside at a Parisian cafe right now drinking French hot chocolate and eating a croissant.

BuckyMom

Thank you for being honest. I'm headed down in 11 days (baby girl is 21- this was her birthday wish) and for the first time, I'm oddly sad. Genie+ is certainly part of that- but I can't put my finger on it. We were there in January- the masks are irrelevant. We'll do what we do, but we also are thinking of changing the mother daughter tradition after this trip. She's studying in Paris in spring. (If covid allows). She'd love to hold a spot for you at that cafe.

tonystark

Original Poster
Thank you for being honest. I'm headed down in 11 days (baby girl is 21- this was her birthday wish) and for the first time, I'm oddly sad. Genie+ is certainly part of that- but I can't put my finger on it. We were there in January- the masks are irrelevant. We'll do what we do, but we also are thinking of changing the mother daughter tradition after this trip. She's studying in Paris in spring. (If covid allows). She'd love to hold a spot for you at that cafe.
Enjoy yourselves! I hope you get lucky with low-crowds which has seemed to be the case for the past couple of weeks (it's Labor Day, I just checked wait times and HM is at 10 minutes, my goodness). I'll cross my fingers that your daughter gets to go to Paris, I loved studying abroad!

amjt660

Premium Member
Hey @tonystark thank you for a great trip report but most of all for your wrap up posts.

One thing that none of us can stop is time.
We have limited time and resources to do the special things in life.

The Disney corporations approach to the parks is a concern for me too.

Kudos for you for re evaluating and maybe considering alternate usage of your travel dollars

Max

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom