Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Jeff4272

Does anyone think the recent low crowds are a result of fans being angered with Disney’s decisions with genie+ and annual pass price increases?

parks are empty. Not one date for the Christmas event is sold out.

is it because of Covid or are fans filially pushing back?

pdude81

Does anyone think the recent low crowds are a result of fans being angered with Disney’s decisions with genie+ and annual pass price increases?

I think it's a seasonal lull and usual low point anyway with everybody going back to school, plus a small bit of covid outbreak in FL, mixed with the eventual dropoff of people waiting until 10/1 to show up. Anybody using AP to get in for October has some of their reservations locked up and can't necessarily even show up right now. I don't think the recent announcements made people cancel vacations before those policies take effect.

As for Christmas events I have no idea.

GimpYancIent

I believe folk's have looked behind the curtain. The magic has been taken away and it's now just like everyone else. Disney is succeeding in one goal CROWD CONTROL!

Muffinpants

No people had these trips booked way before all this fall out

Disstevefan1

As for WDW, maybe locals are waiting for Sept 8 to get their new AP

aaronml

The Dolphin isn't exactly "offsite," though. Swan/Dolphin are physically located on Disney property, within walking distance of DHS and Epcot, they get pretty much all of the benefits of an on-property Deluxe resort (and they had Disney-run transportation pre-pandemic), and Disney does get a cut of their revenue.

That being said, Disney is still getting significantly less of your money, and I think you make a good point about people paying for Genie+ by cutting costs elsewhere.

Disney execs seem to be making the assumption that people are going to spend more for Genie+ on top of whatever they were already planning to spend. However, at least for us, that's not the case. Our trips have a set budget, so if we do choose to purchase Genie+ for our upcoming trip, we'll just reallocate the cost from somewhere else in the budget. Disney won't get more money from us by charging us for Genie+ because we'll just spend less on other things.
To be fair, Disney likely knows this (to some extent anyhow) and is rationalizing it with the higher profit margins from Lightning Lane. Unlike merchandise which costs Disney money to produce, paid LL/FP access is almost pure profit (once they recover the development costs, which shouldn’t take long). Of course, there will be software maintenance expenses also, but those will be trivial compared to how much money this will bring in for Disney.

EPCOT-O.G.

You’re right. I mean having the last E ticket open 29 years ago is completely understandable, unlike opening it 32 years ago. That would be just crazy.

Just think, all the folks who only visit every 25 years will be amazed how much has changed since the Cakestle. A Little Mermaid omnimover, small coaster Dwarf Hill, and a Buzz Lightyear shooting dark ride. It’s really like stepping into the future.
Wouldn’t 7DMT be considered an E-ticket attraction?

aaronml

It will be interesting to see how they handle RotR with VQ and LL.

Obviously they will issue fewer BGs (though I’d expect them to keep both VQ/BG drop times since the afternoon one is needed for Park Hoppers).

Right now, once your BG is called, you end up waiting around 50 mins on average (in my experience) and the “standby return” line they have you wait in seems fairly full.

I wonder if they will continue to issue / call enough BGs to fill the Standby Return line, in which case you’ll be waiting longer once your BG is called (due to LL/FP), or if they will call back fewer BGs / people at a time to keep the Standby Return wait time consistent with before.

jpinkc

Seasonal and Schools reopening. I think Christmas will sell out just fine, and I am going over Thanksgiving for DW 50th BD, ugh said I wouldnt do it again after how bad it was on her 40. But its the wife and I like sleeping in my bed than the couch (golden retriever who doesnt like to share :D ) I think it will be the normal Holiday Disaster at WDW. If anything Covid is something people are watching in Florida, but I think the Holiday demand will still fill the parks.

AFoodie

They're also free for hotel guests and Royal Pacific is like $300/night. It's not a fair comparison at all.
APs at the top level also get the after 4 p.m. Express Pass free. It was an awesome perk when I was a Universal AP. As much as I miss Disney, I’ll probably go back to Universal again once everything with Covid/delta improves. I’m sad about it, but I’ve got to go with where I’m getting a bigger bang for my buck.

pdude81

Isnt that the 3 park pass? So add 100 bucks on top of the disney pass to compare them. Uni is also far more generous across the board with black out dates. What about that free express perk? Also the discounts i see uni give pass holders seems to really make disney look stingy.
Top 2 park season pass at uni is 625 plus tax

Basil of Baker Street

Isnt that the 3 park pass? So add 100 bucks on top of the disney pass to compare them. Uni is also far more generous across the board with black out dates. What about that free express perk? Also the discounts i see uni give pass holders seems to really make disney look stingy.
I think its the 2 park. Disney is a 4 park pass

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom