HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
*Looks at mural…*

1630695525976.gif

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Sigh... I'm sorry, but to say some "edgy" looking Mickeys are continuing the legacy of EPCOT's catalog of attraction murals is just...no.

Some palate cleansers below. Do Zach and his team really believe Mickey in Motion is even in the same league as these (and not just execution, but meaning and symbolism, too)?

View attachment 584296
View attachment 584297

View attachment 584299

View attachment 584311

View attachment 584312
View attachment 584324

[Edits made to the first section for better word choice.]
The Horizons mural always pulls at the heart strings. All of them do, to be honest, but that one… such a masterpiece.

vikescaper

This would have been a good opportunity to reinstall the Prologue and the Promise, which is an absolutely gorgeous piece of art.

Or, you know, do almost anything other than this. It doesn't even look like Mickey!
When I saw the new mural, I immediately thought of Prologue and the Promise.

Sir_Cliff

Epcot old school had some truly memorable murals and even decades later it still amazes me how truly ahead of their time much of that stuff was. These days the reuse of disney character ips seems like an artistic deevolution compared to what we use to have.
Epcot did have some great murals... but I really think they are of their time more than ahead of it. I'm sure no-one here will agree with me, but I think that to most people those murals would look very much like something from the 1980s.

This shop really seems to divide me from the bulk of Disney fans. The description in Zach's post is overblown and I get why that annoys people. The mural, though, looks to me like it will probably look good within the store. The more stylised representations of Mickey also look fine to me in context.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
This would have been a good opportunity to reinstall the Prologue and the Promise, which is an absolutely gorgeous piece of art.

Or, you know, do almost anything other than this. It doesn't even look like Mickey!
I need to go look at my high-res digital copy of that mural now. And maybe listen to the ride audio and watch Martin’s Complete Ultimate Tribute. 😍

ToTBellHop

So everybody hates it…

…anyone gonna back it up and not give their money/business?

…Carry on then…
I will angrily take my business to Emporium or Hollywood Blvd. where I can buy the same hoodie without being made to feel uncomfortable.

Honestly, I have not really minded anything about this shop until this. If you are going to characterify the park, at least do it well.

Wait til they show the Pinocchio mural.
1630697591505.jpeg

Please take care of yourselves in this shop, all.
1630697762401.gif

UNCgolf

That is...yikes. Of all the things to screw up, how do you screw up a picture of Mickey Mouse at Walt Disney World?

It's Meckey Mouse, not Mickey. See how he's carrying an EPCOT pennant? The first e stands for EPCOT and that's why he looks different.

Then he slowly changes into classic, Magic Kingdom Mickey at the end of the mural because he's leaping out of EPCOT and back into the Magic Kingdom. Don't worry -- Zach will explain it all in a forthcoming Instagram post.

Last edited:

hpyhnt 1000

Honestly, the backgrounds for the temporary Character Spot would be a huge improvement. I just don't get what they were thinking with that Mickey artwork.

1630698878192.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom