WDW As The Only Vacation Option: Why?

SteveAZee

I dont think that's true (that people fall into two camps). I think the majority of people can both appreciate going somewhere familiar and comfortable, as well as the fun and excitement of going somewhere new. I think the majority of posts in this thread are by people who say they do both WDW trips and trips elsewhere.
My most comfortable and relaxing vacations are to return to familiar places, like Disney. I'd say that my most memorable vacations are places where I've gone someplace new, or even gone a place I've been before but explored outside what's familiar. I guess it depends on what I need at the time to recharge.

Goofyernmost

My most comfortable and relaxing vacations are to return to familiar places, like Disney. I'd say that my most memorable vacations are places where I've gone someplace new, or even gone a place I've been before but explored outside what's familiar. I guess it depends on what I need at the time to recharge.
Even on my first trip in 1983 it was a combo trip. We didn't have a lot of time. We had a three day world passport and still managed to squeeze in Kennedy Space and then Silver Springs and a tour of DC on the way home and expanded the exploring on subsequent visits. Those included parts of the parks that we didn't get to see on the first trips.

Last edited:

SteveAZee

Even on my first trip in 1983 it was a combo trip. We didn't have a lot of time. We had a three day world passport and still managed to squeeze in Kennedy Space and then Silver Springs on the way home and expanded the exploring on subsequent visits. Those included parts of the parks that we didn't get to see on the first trips.
What, no Six Gun Territory? ;) (it was probably on its death bed by '83)

rk03221

Honestly I’ve never understood why people vacation to wdw every year. I know a lot that do, especially being a former cm but there are much better disney experiences other than world. Instead of going to wdw every year, why not go to Tokyo Disneyland? Or a disney cruise? Both are much better experiences imo. Pre covid we stopped going to world and go to SoCal instead. Hit Disneyland for a few days and the rest go to the beaches and what not. Especially post covid with how expensive wdw has gotten…no thanks. I love wdw but the cost of taking my family there for a week is unjustifiable

MickeyLuv'r

2. National Parks are full of bears, mosquitos, and endless tourists and cars. There's nothing to do there besides walking. (I know because I live right next to a national park.)
I gather you've never visited any of the more urban National Parks or monuments? Like maybe DC's cherry Blossom Festival/Lincoln Memorial/Air and Space/Smithsonian Zoo, Gettysburg, Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island, Fort Mc Henry, Gateway Arch National Park, or Independence National Park? Our national parks and monuments are rather diverse....

Granted, the above have traffic and tourists, but few places have more tourists than WDW.

At Air and Space one can literally touch the moon! climb inside a space capsule, see the planes that made history. It is also free of bears and mosquitos. There is some walking, but it is also handicapped accessible. DC is home to too many National places to list, like seeing the Declaration of Independence, pandas, the Hope Diamond, and all the National Gallery paintings.

Gettysburg, Fort Mc Henry, and other battle fields are also not-at-all like our wilder National Parks. While they do involve lots of history, it is something to be in the place where Americans fought for our country. Fort Mc Henry is in downtown Baltimore and is where the National Anthem was written (technically in the harbor next to the fort.)

While maybe not your thing, there are also a number of national shorelines that are national parks. They aren't necessarily free 100% of mosquitoes, but generally the bugs aren't too bad during the day. I mention them just because most are quite different from the more wooded national parks. There's : Cape Cod, Cape Hatteras, Cape Canaveral (near Kennedy Space Center), and Apostle Islands (with sea caves!), to name just a few. Provincetown, MA is mostly part of the Cape Cod National Seashore, but just beyond the edge of the NP is the town with shops/dining/hotels/lighthouses.

It is fine if none of these appeal to you or anyone else, I'm just posting to say the NP are rather diverse and most are very inexpensive to visit.

spock8113

As someone who has vacationed across America 5 times, I find it hard to fathom that some people only do WDW vacations and nothing else. There is just so much more out there than animatronics and stuffed Figments. Affordable family fun is a much better value driving through Yellowstone or the Badlands or just down Route 66.

Daddyoh

Just my 2 cents...for my family, WDW has always been our happy place. My first time was our honeymoon in '93. I live at the Jersey shore and spent MANY summers here as a kid, so I've had enough of beaches...we're also not big drinkers, so sitting at a resort bar is not for us. I also don't like the feeling of not being in control of my own destiny (even though we fly down, I still rent a car), so as much as some of our friends and family rave about cruises, they're out too. IF I ever relented and went on a cruise, it would be to Alaska. I've spent MANY days and nights in Philly, Boston and NYC, so I've had my fill of city life. Same goes for traveling abroad...we just really have no desire to do it. I just don't understand why some on here think it's so strange NOT to want to globe trot or go sight seeing, museums or art galleries. IT'S JUST NOT OUR CUP OF TEA! We are not sick, deprived, underprivileged, uncultured or strange (well maybe a LITTLE strange, lol). That's just us.

My youngest DD (20), is now going to college in Northern California...2 weeks ago, we started 5 miles from our house in NJ, went to the beach at the Atlantic Ocean, and drove cross country to Cali. We took a week, just my daughter and I, she kept her car, and I flew back. So, we drove from the Atlantic to the Pacific (she's only a mile from the ocean)...we saw TONS of great things, did some "touristy" stuff...visited the American Pickers store in Iowa, saw Lake Erie, the Bonneville salt flats, the depleted Great Salt Lake in Utah and drove through the Rockies...AWESOME TRIP, crossed it off my bucket list, and next year, perhaps my DW and I will visit her and go to Disneyland (which I have never been to).

That being said, EVERYONE on here is entitled to their own opinions as far as vacation spots goes...while I don't understand spending a week in the Caribbean...traveling thru Europe or Mexico, going on a cruise etc., I would NEVER talk down to/at people who want to. My own family members think we're nuts for just opting for Disney. Now my Cali DD is "Disneyed". out, she went with us in May on our last family vacation...my other DD LOVES the Orlando mouse, did the DCP, and is going down solo in a few months. That's what she loves, that's what we love, and for just a week, we don't have to deal with the real world, always have smiles on our faces (even while opening up our wallets), and for all the complaints, upcharges, and extra $$, we never come home bitterly disappointed.

That's just us...are we nuts? Yup, and trust me, sometimes being a little nuts is NEVER boring.
Nicely said, sounds exactly like us. We too have driven cross country several times and it is the trip not just the destination that makes it worthwhile. As Beach Club members there is no better place and WDW really does make any daily worries you may have had just disappear.

arwebster

Just my 2 cents...for my family, WDW has always been our happy place. My first time was our honeymoon in '93. I live at the Jersey shore and spent MANY summers here as a kid, so I've had enough of beaches...we're also not big drinkers, so sitting at a resort bar is not for us. I also don't like the feeling of not being in control of my own destiny (even though we fly down, I still rent a car), so as much as some of our friends and family rave about cruises, they're out too. IF I ever relented and went on a cruise, it would be to Alaska. I've spent MANY days and nights in Philly, Boston and NYC, so I've had my fill of city life. Same goes for traveling abroad...we just really have no desire to do it. I just don't understand why some on here think it's so strange NOT to want to globe trot or go sight seeing, museums or art galleries. IT'S JUST NOT OUR CUP OF TEA! We are not sick, deprived, underprivileged, uncultured or strange (well maybe a LITTLE strange, lol). That's just us.

My youngest DD (20), is now going to college in Northern California...2 weeks ago, we started 5 miles from our house in NJ, went to the beach at the Atlantic Ocean, and drove cross country to Cali. We took a week, just my daughter and I, she kept her car, and I flew back. So, we drove from the Atlantic to the Pacific (she's only a mile from the ocean)...we saw TONS of great things, did some "touristy" stuff...visited the American Pickers store in Iowa, saw Lake Erie, the Bonneville salt flats, the depleted Great Salt Lake in Utah and drove through the Rockies...AWESOME TRIP, crossed it off my bucket list, and next year, perhaps my DW and I will visit her and go to Disneyland (which I have never been to).

That being said, EVERYONE on here is entitled to their own opinions as far as vacation spots goes...while I don't understand spending a week in the Caribbean...traveling thru Europe or Mexico, going on a cruise etc., I would NEVER talk down to/at people who want to. My own family members think we're nuts for just opting for Disney. Now my Cali DD is "Disneyed". out, she went with us in May on our last family vacation...my other DD LOVES the Orlando mouse, did the DCP, and is going down solo in a few months. That's what she loves, that's what we love, and for just a week, we don't have to deal with the real world, always have smiles on our faces (even while opening up our wallets), and for all the complaints, upcharges, and extra $$, we never come home bitterly disappointed.

That's just us...are we nuts? Yup, and trust me, sometimes being a little nuts is NEVER boring.
The reason we bought at DVC 23 years ago was always a safe place to go.Now we rarely ever to the parks and take advantage of the awesome Vero Beach DVC have made that our main disney stop.We will go to WDW and stay a few days mostly to enjoy golf and the restaurants in the area.Maybe go to epcot but that is getting rarer these days.Still believe it was a great investment and we have until 2042 to continue to enjoy will only be 92 years old.

JIMINYCR

There are many stunning vacation spots, but very few that don't have some "real world" sadness or discomfort for visitors: growing number of homeless camps in touristy urban areas, crime, and - in some of the most gorgeous nations across the Caribbean and elsewhere - extreme poverty that breaks your heart.

Or maybe it's a vastly different local culture that might disrupt the mood for some, (dominant blue feel if you're a red state guy/gal or vice versa & something like that bothers you.)

Pre-covid, WDW was incredibly safe and blissfully neutral: you knew you were in for a carefree day in a fun environment....no worries about personal safety. No looking over your shoulder or staying on guard constantly. The only stress - maybe a little longer line or hotter temp than you expected.

For solo females or single parents w/little ones, this is comforting - and hard to give up.
I always felt safer while in the Disney parks and walking anywhere on property than anywhere else Ive vacationed. I remember once when I happened to be strolling down a dark pathway very very late at night thinking how comforting it was to be here and the difference there was. Now I'm sure there has probably been incidents at Disney we dont know about that have happened that havent been disclosed publicly, but no ones ever given me a warning about "you shouldnt walk there" like they have at other destinations Ive stayed at.

Djsfantasi

Ever since freedom day (divorce), I’ve traveled to WDW twice a year. Covid reduced my 2020 visits to just one. In 2021, I blew out my vacation budget to one extended trip with my girlfriend. Since that trip, Disney announced the Genie+ program. I recognize it appealing to a certain group of people, of which I’m not a member. Genie+ had eliminated EVERYTHING I liked about a Disney vacation. It’s unlikely that I will return. Maybe for a short trip to see if my thoughts are correct, but it likely has removed the allure of a WDW vacation twice every year. Maybe once every five years. But it’s no longer my must-do vacation.

jloucks

Disney had us hooked for several consecutive vacations. Ultimately the bubble burst when the crowds got to a level that were nightmarish for us. An yes, we only went when crowds were supposed to be small.

I am not a huge fan of large crowds and my time is one of the most valuable things I have. I got the feeling WDW no longer respected my time, so I stopped going.

CP_alum08

I think you’re getting an unfair sample pool. Your “casual fans” are less likely to post regularly on a message board so you are only seeing the above average person here. I think if you were to question 100 random people at WDW they would not say they only vacation there.

Ayla

I live 2000 miles away from WDW. It is my only vacation destination. I don't care if Genie+ is going to charge $$$$, I am not going anywhere else for vacation, ever.

Reasons:

1. Other places are disgusting. Seattle (been there) is too hilly to walk, with lots of garbage and homeless people on the streets. New York city (never been there) is gross and full of crime. I have never seen a show about NYC without seeing somebody getting mugged or molested. In the Disney Channel Show JESSIE, Jessie the nanny took the kids to a subway ride in NYC, and some guy was shaving his head right next to the kids in the crowded subway, and lumps of cut hair was landing all over the kids!
2. National Parks are full of bears, mosquitos, and endless tourists and cars. There's nothing to do there besides walking. (I know because I live right next to a national park.)
3. Europe has disgusting restrooms, incomprehensible languages, huge lines for famous sites. There's nothing in Hawaii except sit on the beach.
4. We used to go on driving trip where you can stop and learn local history. History sucks. It's stuff they teach you at school to keep you busy, and you don't ever remember or care about it when you grow up.

And above all, there's nothing for kids to do. I assure you, they don't want to learn history. They don't want to wait in line to get on Eiffel Tower or the Space Needle or Van Gogh's museum. They don't want to hike endlessly to get to some lake with nothing in it. I don't want to walk among loud traffic in Manhattan while seeing garbage on the streets. And most importantly, I don't want to get mugged.

Here is what you can do in Disney World: you can sit on the white sand beach in Caribbean Beach Resort. You can visit France in Epcot, or Morocco if you prefer. You can watch a giant wave at Typhoon Lagoon, with numerous life guards around. You can ride a gondola for free. You can get a basic history lesson in Spaceship Earth (that's the only history lesson that doesn't bore me.) Everywhere you go, it's scrubbed spotless. You won't run into a homeless guy begging for food (that happened to me). You can take your kids to go on rides, watch parades or fireworks or shows, eat at an interesting restaurant or quick service spot. The fun is endless. Every day there's something to do, and everyday, everybody has fun.

I don't go to Disneyland (been there) or go on Disney Cruises (done that). Disneyland is too much of a dump, and the Disney cruises are too confining, I was stuck on a boat for 3 days. I've been to many other places, including Asia. They all suck. Disney World is the only place to be.
This is possibly the saddest thing I've ever read on this site.

Raineman

Original Poster
I think you’re getting an unfair sample pool. Your “casual fans” are less likely to post regularly on a message board so you are only seeing the above average person here. I think if you were to question 100 random people at WDW they would not say they only vacation there.
Yeah, I realized that, which is the reason why I posted it. Most of the general public have maybe been to WDW once, so this would not apply to them. On this board, it is pretty much 100% die-hards, so I figured that some of them would be Disney-exclusive vacationers.

The Colonel

I don't want to see museums, churches, old battlefields, zoos, or any sign of snow. Give me gambling, shows, beaches, food, and Disney. I want entertainment, comfort, enjoyment, and safety. I'm enlightened and cultured enough, thank you very much.

anlkVrPl.jpg

Last edited:

LovePop

THAT BEING SAID, while I love Disney, sometimes it's nice to have a change, for learning. If all you know is being treated like royalty at a Disney resort, the more you do it the more you're gonna hate experiences that AREN'T Disney.
I can't help it. As the years go by, I've gotten worse, and it's WDW's fault. It's totally spoiled me from going anywhere else, not even Disneyland. When I first went to Disneyland some 15 years ago, I thought it was awesome. I also took driving trips to nearby amusement parks and enjoyed them. I visited my national park many times and hiked to the lakes. I took my kids camping and slept in tents. We drove to Seattle every year and visited the Space Needle and the Pacific Science center and Woodland Park zoo. We went to San Diego and stayed at this 1400 square feet beach front condo with floor to ceiling windows facing the ocean, and we visited Legoland and the San Diego zoo.

Back in college, I studied French for 4 years. I was planning to visit Paris some day.

And then, I started going to WDW, and all that stopped. It showed me that everything I did in the past really sucked, I just didn't know it. I took the family back to Disneyland about 7 years ago. Instead of feeling awesome, I barely put up with it. I tried the Disney Dream cruise 10 years ago, after which we were taken back to WDW for 14 nights. I was so relieved to be back. I felt completely stuck on that boat even though we had perfect weather and we spent a day at Disney's private island. If I had gone on the cruise before WDW, I think I would have adored it.

Over the years I lost most of my French from lack of use. (While I was in France, Epcot, I listened to people speak and couldn't understand a word they were saying! However, I can still read most of it.) My mom's been nagging for years for me and kids to go to Europe with her (she will pay for it), but no way am I going. I've been teaching myself Spanish (I love languages) for years, and I'm getting pretty good. I can understand about 90% of what people are saying on Spanish Disney channel shows, and I can express myself on a basic level. But no way am I going to Europe, I tell my mom. There's no magic express, no dedicated buses to take us where we go and back, no dining plan, no MDE, no rides for the kids, no thanks! I know that many Europeans speak English, but many don't. Why, when I was at WDW a few months ago, I ran into an Uber driver who didn't speak English. I was able to speak Spanish to him, and he understood me and said I was good!

It is exactly as you say: "If all you know is being treated like royalty at a Disney resort, the more you do it the more you're gonna hate experiences that AREN'T Disney." There's nothing I can do about it. It's like developing an allergy as you get older, and you can't just will yourself out of an allergy. In fact, when I went to Disneyland last time, I felt GUILTY the whole time, like I was cheating on Magic Kingdom, and MK isn't even my favorite park, Epcot is.

And we are not even much of a royalty at Disney. We only stay at Pop mostly. It does make us feel like royalty, though. Especially when I remembered in our tent days, when it rained so hard that the roof of our tent gathered about a gallon of water and I pushed it out in the morning. That memory made Pop feel like luxury, so it was good for something.

It's unfortunate that WDW spoiled us with things such as DME and now taking it away, and not even providing a paid option. But that doesn't change the fact that WDW is my one true love and nowhere, nothing can compare to it. (My husband knows full well that WDW is my other lover that he pays for me to visit.)

However, if my one true love becomes unavailable, I am willing to explore other options. I recently booked a trip to Universal because WDW hotels are booked up for October, even though I said I would never go to Universal. When my one true love doesn't have time for me, I find my mind suddenly opening up to new possibilities.

Last edited:

Ayla

I can't help it. As the years go by, I've gotten worse, and it's WDW's fault. It's totally spoiled me from going anywhere else, not even Disneyland. When I first went to Disneyland some 15 years ago, I thought it was awesome. I also took driving trips to nearby amusement parks and enjoyed them. I visited my national park many times and hiked to the lakes. I took my kids camping and slept in tents. We drove to Seattle every year and visited the Space Needle and the Pacific Science center and Woodland Park zoo. We went to San Diego and stayed at this 1400 square feet beach front condo with floor to ceiling windows facing the ocean, and we visited Legoland and the San Diego zoo.

Back in college, I studied French for 4 years. I was planning to visit Paris some day.

And then, I started going to WDW, and all that stopped. It showed me that everything I did in the past really sucked, I just didn't know it. I took the family back to Disneyland about 7 years ago. Instead of feeling awesome, I barely put up with it. I tried the Disney Dream cruise 10 years ago, after which we were taken back to WDW for 14 nights. I was so relieved to be back. I felt completely stuck on that boat even though we had perfect weather and we spent a day at Disney's private island. If I had gone on the cruise before WDW, I think I would have adored it.

Over the years I lost most of my French from lack of use. (While I was in France, Epcot, I listened to people speak and couldn't understand a word they were saying! However, I can still read most of it.) My mom's been nagging for years for me and kids to go to Europe with her (she will pay for it), but no way am I going. I've been teaching myself Spanish (I love languages) for years, and I'm getting pretty good. I can understand about 90% of what people are saying on Spanish Disney channel shows, and I can express myself on a basic level. But no way am I going to Europe, I tell my mom. There's no magic express, no dedicated buses to take us where we go and back, no dining plan, no MDE, no rides for the kids, no thanks! I know that many Europeans speak English, but many don't. Why, when I was at WDW a few months ago, I ran into an Uber driver who didn't speak English. I was able to speak Spanish to him, and he understood me and said I was good!

It is exactly as you say: "If all you know is being treated like royalty at a Disney resort, the more you do it the more you're gonna hate experiences that AREN'T Disney." There's nothing I can do about it. It's like developing an allergy as you get older, and you can't just will yourself out of an allergy. In fact, when I went to Disneyland last time, I felt GUILTY the whole time, like I was cheating on Magic Kingdom, and MK isn't even my favorite park, Epcot is.

And we are not even much of a royalty at Disney. We only stay at Pop mostly. It does make us feel like royalty, though. Especially when I remembered in our tent days, when it rained so hard that the roof of our tent gathered about a gallon of water and I pushed it out in the morning. That memory made Pop feel like luxury, so it was good for something.

It's unfortunate that WDW spoiled us with things such as DME and now taking it away, and not even providing a paid option. But that doesn't change the fact that WDW is my one true love and nowhere, nothing can compare to it. (My husband knows full well that WDW is my other lover that he pays for me to visit.)

However, if my one true love becomes unavailable, I am willing to explore other options. I recently booked a trip to Universal because WDW hotels are booked up for October, even though I said I would never go to Universal. When my one true love doesn't have time for me, I find my mind suddenly opening up to new possibilities.
I hate to point out the obvious, but in 4 months DME will cease to exist, the death of MDE is imminent and there is currently no information on the dining plan returning (though it's been talked about for months).

eliza61nyc

Wait, you think Disney resorts treat customers like royalty?
Lol as much as I love on-site, you really have to go to other hotels if you think Disney is any where close to luxurious.
Now I admit I've never been camping, but I think camping automatically means a different experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom