Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewisc

Except "we" (I guess "we" in medicine are the "they", and I'm speaking for colleagues in Flordia) do want people to have the treatment. If they meet the criteria.

We also want people to do all the other preventative things so that they don't need the antibody infusion.
Getting the treatment as advised by a medical professional is good

Getting the treatment, on the advice of politicians, as a means of preventing Covid for constituents who think they may have been exposed maybe not good

Heppenheimer

The vaccines didn't exsist overnight....im talking about the entire amount of resources and effort. I bet it would do wonders for cancer research etc. Simply pointing out that people are all so enthralled in solving this and i have yet to see the same level of enthrallment to cure cancer is all.
An observation.
Cancer is not a single disease with a single cause. COVID-19 is. There wasn't a flood of cancer patients overwhelming hospitals last year that required emergency action to stem. There was for COVID-19.

And if you think people have not been working very hard on cancer treatments for decades, then you have willfully not been paying attention.

maui2k7

In the latest DCL update today, it looks like Disney will expand the 12+ vaccination requirement for all sailings -

"For all sailings, Guests 12 years of age and older must be fully vaccinated and take a COVID-19 test upon embarkation. Guests 11 years old and under are not required to be vaccinated but must take a pre-trip rapid PCR test or lab-based PCR test for COVID-19, as well as a rapid COVID-19 test upon embarkation. Learn more below."

Nothing about cruising right now seems appealing.

Virtual Toad

The vaccines didn't exsist overnight....im talking about the entire amount of resources and effort. I bet it would do wonders for cancer research etc. Simply pointing out that people are all so enthralled in solving this and i have yet to see the same level of enthrallment to cure cancer is all.
An observation.
My father died of a brain tumor when I was 24 years old. He was 47.

My best friend since junior high school died of the very same disease in November 2019. He was in his early 50s.

If there was a cure for this I would gladly celebrate.

But as someone that’s lost two people to the same disease, I find your post extraordinarily offensive.

Because scientists have been working their tails off for decades trying to cure cancer.

Trying to prevent people like my father and my best friend from dying and leaving loved ones behind.

We don’t have a cure for cancer yet.

But we do have a safe and readily available vaccine that drastically reduces pain, suffering and death from COVID.

And instead of celebrating that, we denigrate it, resist it, downplay its effectiveness. What in earth is wrong with people who would do that?

Please read the article I posted earlier today about what healthcare workers and families are facing in a hospital overwhelmed with tragic —and almost completely unnecessary— COVID cases.

And ask yourself why we shouldn’t be celebrating and promoting at every possible opportunity a vaccine that almost entirely eliminates that pain and suffering?

If it would be good enough for cancer, why in the world is it not good enough for the crisis we are facing right now?

lewisc

In a nutshell :D, if these sailings leave out of Florida, why can't Disney do the same for the parks?
It's not a DCL rule. The Bahamas won't let a ship enter the Bahamas, including private islands, unless passengers 12 and over are vaccinated. Disney has nothing to do with the policy. They are making sure pax are acceptable to the Bahamas

Maybe Batuu and Pandora could establish a vaccination policy

GoofGoof

Premium Member
An observation.
So we shouldn’t have done much of anything to respond to covid? We wasted time and money on the vaccine? Just let covid rip since cancer exists? I am not following your logic.

DCBaker

Premium Member
It's not a DCL rule. The Bahamas won't let a ship enter the Bahamas, including private islands, unless passengers 12 and over are vaccinated. Disney has nothing to do with the policy. They are making sure pax are acceptable to the Bahamas

Maybe Batuu and Pandora could establish a vaccination policy

No longer just because of the Bahamas. This requirement is also for sailings out of San Diego.

Wendy Pleakley

In a nutshell :D, if these sailings leave out of Florida, why can't Disney do the same for the parks?

It's also debatable whether or not they'd want to.

If someone gets COVID on a cruise ship it's more problematic in that it's more likely to spread as everyone is on an enclosed ship in tight quarters AND there will be no doubt that it occurred on a Disney ship and will garner media attention.

In contrast, it seems less likely COVID would spread to everyone at a theme part and it's far less likely anyone will be able to trace a case of COVID back to a WDW theme park specifically and report as such.

Wendy Pleakley

My father died of a brain tumor when I was 24 years old. He was 47.

My best friend since junior high school died of the very same disease in November 2019. He was in his early 50s.

If there was a cure for this I would gladly celebrate.

But as someone that’s lost two people to the same disease, I find your post extraordinarily offensive.

Because scientists have been working their tails off for decades trying to cure cancer.

Trying to prevent people like my father and my best friend from dying and leaving loved ones behind.

We don’t have a cure for cancer yet.

But we do have a safe and readily available vaccine that drastically reduces pain, suffering and death from COVID.

And instead of celebrating that, we denigrate it, resist it, downplay its effectiveness. What in earth is wrong with people who would do that?

Please read the article I posted earlier today about what healthcare workers and families are facing in a hospital overwhelmed with tragic —and almost completely unnecessary— COVID cases.

And ask yourself why we shouldn’t be celebrating and promoting at every possible opportunity a vaccine that almost entirely eliminates that pain and suffering?

If it would be good enough for cancer, why in the world is it not good enough for the crisis we are facing right now?

Yes.

I've said this so many times.

It is incredibly fortunate that when facing COVID there is a safe and effective vaccine, that is readily available for free and was delivered with remarkable speed.

Most of the world was jealous that the USA in particular had vaccines for everyone earlier this year. While many countries were still dealing with heavy restrictions and only beginning to vaccinate, if at all, the USA was poised to have COVID largely under control, by April or May.

The fact that didn't happen is remarkable for all the wrong reasons.

Tony the Tigger

As I said above we hardly waited in long lines but when we were in line, even indoor, we did our own distancing and felt pretty safe. There was one exception to this and it was Friday evening at MK. There was a boo bash which lets people in before park close and it seemed to get a little crowded.

Sorry, that was me. I was at that Boo Bash. 😜

That’s why, contrary to normal after hours advice, I think we entered around 7:30, wandered a bit and got to our 8:50 ADR at Skipper Canteen a little early. So we mostly avoided the “double” crowds and enjoyed a nice meal that kept us full for the night.

As to the rest: we drove, avoiding a plane. We stayed in a Ft Wilderness cabin, avoiding hallway hotel foot traffic (and noise! Bonus!)

We found folks were more mask compliant than not, except for the under nose people, and some who just looked oblivious, acting like we are not in a pandemic. Most were respectful and kept a reasonable distance. I never even had to give anyone “the look,” although I did feel the need to get away from some.

Most attractions were walk-ons or close to it. Even Smugglers said 20 minutes and was nowhere near it. There were brief moments in tight queues or the stretching room at HM where I wanted to hold my breath, but overall it was fine. Table service restaurants were either decently spread out (Topolino’s) or had dividers between booths (Brown Derby.)

It was all good, fairly empty, and I’ve been home for 2 days and seem to be fine.

mmascari

For comparison my employer the same one that isn't mandating vaccines legitimately hired somebody to watch my child and do the school work with them etc since my job is in the field it cannot be remote.
That's an awesome benefit. I thought my employer allowing 3 vacation days for anything vaccination related for anyone in your family was good. (Need a day, because your uncle needs support, take it. It's a very broad definition of what counts.)

I think it's interesting that they'll pay for that but aren't requiring vaccines. Unless maybe they're requiring testing or something else to nudge everyone to get vaccinated. I imagine the math that says it's cheaper/bigger advantage/less risk to pay for extra support staff has some interesting assumptions built in. I suppose they could be assuming that the rest of the state will not get better, so the support staff will have lots of longer term uses.

Whatever the reason, that's an awesome benefit.

DisneyDebRob

An observation.
Quick googling from the cancer reasearch foundation and government agencies I see in 2018, 5.94 billion was spent on cancer research. Can’t find anything after that but I’m guessing it’s increased. That’s one year.

The FY 2018 funds available to the NCI totaled $5.94 billion (includes $300 million in CURES Act funding), reflecting a increase of 5 percent, or $284 million from the previous fiscal year.

I would say people are “ enthralled “ to find a cancer cure.

mmascari

Company my spouse works for just pulled a huge conference out of Orlando scheduled for this fall. Will have to do it virtually instead after most guest speakers turned down invitations to speak in person due to the ongoing COVID situation in FL.

Company will take a bath economically as hotels and convention space were reserved years in advance and no refunds are coming. Cancelled conference will also negatively impact the Central FL economy. Company is currently discussing pulling future conferences out of FL as well because attendees no longer see it as a safe and viable destination.
I think we're going to see more of this. Just like personal vacations this year tended to favor drivable destinations. Personal vacations are easier to change quickly. Last year, all those business functions dropped. Now, they're starting to come back, and I think they're going to hedge against the transmission levels in different areas. We're still seeing stuff being cancelled or going virtual this year as lead times are long enough that decisions need to be made early. Planning the next business event, eliminating cancellation risk based on transmission levels is going to be a bigger and bigger thing.

dreday3

That’s why, contrary to normal after hours advice, I think we entered around 7:30, wandered a bit and got to our 8:50 ADR at Skipper Canteen a little early. So we mostly avoided the “double” crowds and enjoyed a nice meal that kept us full for the night.

As to the rest: we drove, avoiding a plane. We stayed in a Ft Wilderness cabin, avoiding hallway hotel foot traffic (and noise! Bonus!)

We found folks were more mask compliant than not, except for the under nose people, and some who just looked oblivious, acting like we are not in a pandemic. Most were respectful and kept a reasonable distance. I never even had to give anyone “the look,” although I did feel the need to get away from some.

Most attractions were walk-ons or close to it. Even Smugglers said 20 minutes and was nowhere near it. There were brief moments in tight queues or the stretching room at HM where I wanted to hold my breath, but overall it was fine. Table service restaurants were either decently spread out (Topolino’s) or had dividers between booths (Brown Derby.)

It was all good, fairly empty, and I’ve been home for 2 days and seem to be fine.

Did you have fun at Boo Bash??? :D

sullyinMT

Nothing about cruising right now seems appealing.
Very little besides an ocean breeze on a balcony. And that’s not worth the price and risk of entry, IMO. But, at least DCL has finally standardized the fleet (I think the Magic UK sailings are still only for fully-vaxxed age eligible, right?).

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I was pleasantly surprised by the mask compliance and lack of drama over the rule. People seemed to just accept it for the most part except that one night. We did HM as a walk on so the stretching room had about a dozen people in it total and we could spread out. The same with ToT where it was 6 of us and 4 other people in the pre-show. We did Smugglers Run about half a dozen times and never waited more than 10 mins. 1 of our rides the pre-show was shut down. Crazy empty.

mmascari

It's also debatable whether or not they'd want to.

If someone gets COVID on a cruise ship it's more problematic in that it's more likely to spread as everyone is on an enclosed ship in tight quarters AND there will be no doubt that it occurred on a Disney ship and will garner media attention.

In contrast, it seems less likely COVID would spread to everyone at a theme part and it's far less likely anyone will be able to trace a case of COVID back to a WDW theme park specifically and report as such.
It's like a movie. There's plausible deniability. That's good enough.

I know we've all read stories about people back from a WDW trip with COVID. But, maybe it was the airport, or some event they did on the trip that wasn't WDW, or the flight down, flight back, any of a thousand things. Maybe it was while doing something in a park. All those "maybe" meaning what they're doing can be called good enough.

Maybe it is good enough too. We also see lots of reports about people back from a WDW trip and they're just fine.

It's like the number of licks to the center of a tootsie pop, we may never know. :)

My opinion, for a vaccinated person, what they're doing at WDW probably is good enough. Said with no proof at all, but still my thought.

mf1972

With crowds as low as they are right now in Universal and WDW, the risk has reduced since July/Aug simply by the fact that there are far fewer people in the parks right now.
we’re probably canceling our late october trip too, unfortunately. granted the crowds are low right now, but i think they’ll probably pick up with the 50th anniversary celebration starting soon.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Yes.

I've said this so many times.

It is incredibly fortunate that when facing COVID there is a safe and effective vaccine, that is readily available for free and was delivered with remarkable speed.

Most of the world was jealous that the USA in particular had vaccines for everyone earlier this year. While many countries were still dealing with heavy restrictions and only beginning to vaccinate, if at all, the USA was poised to have COVID largely under control, by April or May.

The fact that didn't happen is remarkable for all the wrong reasons.
USA will have COVID largely under control by next year. I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom