News Walt Disney World to resume sales of Annual Passes (New sales resume April 20, 2023)

Basil of Baker Street

really puts it into perspective o_O

That's a good price. I've had UOAP's before. But I keep going back to I get bored there. After the 2nd 3 or 4 day trip I'm done for the year. I just enjoy my Disney trips. I can spend 2 days resort hopping and cruising around Fort. And another large portion of a day at DS. But sadly Disney is devaluing the AP so much I wont be repurchasing one of those either. I could *probably* break even on AP vs ticket prices since we usually take shorter trips. But I cant go enough to justify it especially when I factor in rising fuel costs of a 1,000 mile round trip. I think I'm just going to do an 8-10 day trip every other year or so and call it done.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I have to say that a lot of people are over reacting to all of this
When I got my first AP,
--There was no Memory Maker. That is only the last few years. We look at the ride pictures and do maybe one photographer per trip so it is a complete nothing burger to us. But 99 bucks for the who year or a hundred plus per trip, if we want it we will add it on.
--Before buying DVC, there was no choice but premier or premier plus for a Texas resident. So nothing has changed there, either Incredipass or Incredipass with Water Park add on.
Now that I have DVC, the Sorcerer Pass is where I will land, like my Gold Pass before. There never was a discount for DVC for this, Yes it has gone up 200 bucks, but what at Disney or outside of Disney has not gone up this year. Universal is not 625 for their top 2 park pass.
And after this year, there is a discount for renewing my Sorcerer pass. Right now it is 719.

Many like to complain about the "nickel and diming' and I say yeah. I prefer an unbundled price so I can get the benefits I want. I do not want Water Parks, I do not want Photo Pass, and I most certainly do not want Genie+ included. I will use it when I feel I need it and then I want the least people using it as possible. Do not charge me for these benefits, let me pay the minimum ... admission to the parks and a few discounts I might use. Just like the cable bill, I do not want packages and price breaks. Give me just what I need.
One question: what’s a “premiere” and “premiere plus” pass?

wutisgood

I get that they raised prices but 900 bucks for DVC members is still a great deal for that pass. Annual passes are meant for people that want to go a lot so even if someone went 15 days over 2-3 trips they're still saving a ton of money.
That you Chapek? How many people have the days off they want to spend exclusively in Disney to make that price a value? Most of the dvc members I know would break even at best. And frankly they would be much better off buying a 4 day ticket and selling the extra points for another vacation that isn't a rip off. What value even is a hopper when ride capacity is so constrained anyways?

I mean I know some people only want to go to Disney but I am definitely good for a few days a year vs spending that much on just Disney to make it "worth it". The universal seasonal pass I can value for just a few days a year and treat anything beyond that as a bonus. The single rider lines, Central location, and access to value hotels withing walking distance or cheap rideshare save me money as well. As an out of state visitor Disney basically costs me double per day on a budget.

Disney is now competing for domestic visitors with Europe or Asia depending on where you are in the US on prices and counting on people being to ignorant to realize other vacations are cheaper for more quality.

pdude81

Man. I renewed before the announcement my Weekend Select. Looks like the new equivalent tier surpasses that esp with being open availability during the Summer and possibly Bonus reservations. I probably would call to cancel my pass to get the new one, but that would cancel my Remy Epcot Passholder Preview on 9/23 lol! Overall that one is a better value with more days for like only a 40 dollar difference
If you're looking to spend more money, it's always worth checking your options at GS

disneygeek90

I have Universal AP. I have Disney AP.

Universal has too many screen attractions, but the best (HHN) seasonal event of the year. I have no plans to stop renewing either pass and I do believe they can co-exist and bounce off one another very well. The overall vibes at Disney are unmatched but there is a certain value in the Universal AP (especially the top tier) that can not be over stated.

Dan Deesnee

That you Chapek? How many people have the days off they want to spend exclusively in Disney to make that price a value? Most of the dvc members I know would break even at best. And frankly they would be much better off buying a 4 day ticket and selling the extra points for another vacation that isn't a rip off. What value even is a hopper when ride capacity is so constrained anyways?

I mean I know some people only want to go to Disney but I am definitely good for a few days a year vs spending that much on just Disney to make it "worth it". The universal seasonal pass I can value for just a few days a year and treat anything beyond that as a bonus. The single rider lines, Central location, and access to value hotels withing walking distance or cheap rideshare save me money as well. As an out of state visitor Disney basically costs me double per day on a budget.

Disney is now competing for domestic visitors with Europe or Asia depending on where you are in the US on prices and counting on people being to ignorant to realize other vacations are cheaper for more quality.

Okay but...why would someone be interested in an annual pass in the first place unless they're planning to go A LOT?

I mean that's the entire point...

raymusiccity

I think very few of the DVC owners realize they don’t get the $100 or so off anymore…

I also believe they haven’t addressed renewals…

Most - me included - had an initial “it coulda been worse” reaction. Disney has ingrained that in us.

and it could be worse. But this is a substantial price increase and is culling the herd.

I expect huge regular ticket increases after the covid dust settles as well. This is all one connected thing.

they don’t have enough ride capacity…so thinning out does cover for that. And when people get used to it…they’ll ramp the sales back up again. If chapek isn’t as dumb as he looks.

people believed King Bob I when he said they want to “lower attendance”….
Never true…realigning it and then selling more at higher yield per?….
…there you go

and I’m not sure they are guaranteeing 20% discounts…I think it will be more in 10% range that DVC and AP currently have.

tables was way better…it would have saved me probably another $200 or more this past week…

…but it’s gone. 0.01% chance we’ll see that again
This has just been a constant drumbeat of cuts and price increases. There's a line in the sand coming up that a lot of Disney fans just won't cross.
🙁 IMG_0396.JPG

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This has just been a constant drumbeat of cuts and price increases. There's a line in the sand coming up that a lot of Disney fans just won't cross.
🙁View attachment 583989
I’ve been beating this “drum” for 15 years…but there just has been very little indication that enough fans have the spine to “hold the line”

the housing bubble strategy
The dining plan
After hours
Moderate dvc
Massive price increases
“Magic your way”
Parking fees…ending DME…and more fees to come…
Now passes

…Disney has gotten what it wanted strategically every time

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

…ok then 👍🏻
I have Universal AP. I have Disney AP.

Universal has too many screen attractions, but the best (HHN) seasonal event of the year. I have no plans to stop renewing either pass and I do believe they can co-exist and bounce off one another very well. The overall vibes at Disney are unmatched but there is a certain value in the Universal AP (especially the top tier) that can not be over stated.
You have both, you say?

everybody “wins” then…right?

Mark Dunne

really puts it into perspective o_O

Although Disney will say, MK,EP,AK,HS,BB & TL, ESPN, plus there all under an area that they can get you to for free with the buses, they offer skyliner, monorail, firework shows, day shows, you could even say that with Black spire outpost and Pandora, is way better than what universal has to offer, haggrids ride is cool ( when it works ), universal are great, but just not quite as good as Disney IMO, good post though

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Although Disney will say, MK,EP,AK,HS,BB & TL, ESPN, plus there all under an area that they can get you to for free with the buses, they offer skyliner, monorail, firework shows, day shows, you could even say that with Black spire outpost and Pandora, is way better than what universal has to offer, haggrids ride is cool ( when it works ), universal are great, but just not quite as good as Disney IMO, good post though
Kind of an unfair comparison. Aquatica and (especially) Adventure Island are not on the same level as Volcano Bay or Typhoon/Blizzard. The graphic also picks the top level Disney pass but the mid-level Universal pass and ignores the number of parks the Disney pass allows you entrance to.

I agree that the new AP's are priced pretty high, but this graphic doesn't accurately describe the situation.

Jrb1979

I would take both Harry Potter areas over Star Wars land and Pandora. Velocicoaster is one of the best coasters in Orlando

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Kind of an unfair comparison. Aquatica and (especially) Adventure Island are not on the same level as Volcano Bay or Typhoon/Blizzard. The graphic also picks the top level Disney pass but the mid-level Universal pass and ignores the number of parks the Disney pass allows you entrance to.

I agree that the new AP's are priced pretty high, but this graphic doesn't accurately describe the situation.
But Disney really hasn’t touched those water parks since opening day…typhoon has had some upgrades but it took 20+ years. They are great parks…but built by better WDI/management that’s long gone.
I would take both Harry Potter areas over Star Wars land and Pandora. Velocicoaster is one of the best coasters in Orlando
No question

Pandora is good…but under equipped. Star Wars land is under whelming and under equipped.

did I mention I rode Rise of the Reboot For the second time last week? Better without the hype…but not much

Casper Gutman

SW Land is beautiful but the last minute cuts are more visible there then in any of the other modern, “immersive” lands - by a long shot.

Pandora is the only case in which an IP has made me LESS interested in a land. I’m fairly easy to please with blockbusters, but Avatar is actively off putting.

DisneyCane

But Disney really hasn’t touched those water parks since opening day…typhoon has had some upgrades but it took 20+ years. They are great parks…but built by better WDI/management that’s long gone.

No question

Pandora is good…but under equipped. Star Wars land is under whelming and under equipped.

did I mention I rode Rise of the Reboot For the second time last week? Better without the hype…but not much
Theming is good on the water parks and the wave pool is great at TL but they certainly aren't the most amazing water parks you can find.

Agree on Pandora, one great ride and a bunch of scenery. SW land one good ride, one OK motion video game with great theming and good theming of the land.

The first time we rode RotR, both the wife and I were underwhelmed compared to the hype (except for the transport to First Order ship transition). The second and third it was much more fun without expecting the greatest ride ever created like the hype built it up to. I don't think it's worth paying extra to ride it but that's easier to say once you've at least done it one time.

Probably the only rides that might be worth an IAS for me would be ToT, Splash (before they ruin it) and FoP. I know ToT won't have IAS but I'm just saying what I'd be possibly willing to pay a one ride fee to ride.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I have to say that a lot of people are over reacting to all of this
When I got my first AP,
--There was no Memory Maker. That is only the last few years. We look at the ride pictures and do maybe one photographer per trip so it is a complete nothing burger to us. But 99 bucks for the who year or a hundred plus per trip, if we want it we will add it on.
--Before buying DVC, there was no choice but premier or premier plus for a Texas resident. So nothing has changed there, either Incredipass or Incredipass with Water Park add on.
Now that I have DVC, the Sorcerer Pass is where I will land, like my Gold Pass before. There never was a discount for DVC for this, Yes it has gone up 200 bucks, but what at Disney or outside of Disney has not gone up this year. Universal is not 625 for their top 2 park pass.
And after this year, there is a discount for renewing my Sorcerer pass. Right now it is 719.

Many like to complain about the "nickel and diming' and I say yeah. I prefer an unbundled price so I can get the benefits I want. I do not want Water Parks, I do not want Photo Pass, and I most certainly do not want Genie+ included. I will use it when I feel I need it and then I want the least people using it as possible. Do not charge me for these benefits, let me pay the minimum ... admission to the parks and a few discounts I might use. Just like the cable bill, I do not want packages and price breaks. Give me just what I need.

So you’re ok with them raising “the minimum” by 25% and removing benefits that used to be included and now charge for so you don’t have to pay for them? I … have no words.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
SW land one good ride, one OK motion video game with great theming and good theming of the land.

The first time we rode RotR, both the wife and I were underwhelmed compared to the hype (except for the transport to First Order ship transition). The second and third it was much more fun without expecting the greatest ride ever created like the hype built it up to. I don't think it's worth paying extra to ride it but that's easier to say once you've at least done it one time.

I think you kinda proved my point. The “crown jewel” just isn’t that good.

I’m not a huge gringott fan…but the theming and design of both potter lands are fantastic. The nighttime show in hogsmeade tickles me in a way Disney can’t pull off anymore.

you know why I enjoy ROTR more the second time?…beyond no expectations?

…I spent 6 minutes (the ride is short…if that) looking at just how easy it would be to retheme the whole thing. Really easy…two new AA’s, some deep fake CGI that Marvel and ILM is good at…and some new armor for the troopers…and film.

really easy. Get James earl to record the lines before it’s too late!!!

SamusAranX

Theming is good on the water parks and the wave pool is great at TL but they certainly aren't the most amazing water parks you can find.

Agree on Pandora, one great ride and a bunch of scenery. SW land one good ride, one OK motion video game with great theming and good theming of the land.

Probably the only rides that might be worth an IAS for me would be ToT, Splash (before they ruin it) and FoP. I know ToT won't have IAS but I'm just saying what I'd be possibly willing to pay a one ride fee to ride.

Not to mention the incessant sequel delays and lack of overall high stature in the public consciousness. It's not a timeless IP like Star Wars, Disney films, etc. and honestly I think Disney was caught off guard by the success of Potter in Universal and moved quickly to snap up rights and use Avatar, as at the time it was still kind of a big film. This was before they owned Star Wars and found workaround's to use some Marvel in WDW. I think in hindsight it will be seen as a mediocre move and as good as FOP is, how much more can Pandora bring to the park? Especially if the sequels continue to be delayed or don't become massive box office hits.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not to mention the incessant sequel delays and lack of overall high stature in the public consciousness. It's not a timeless IP like Star Wars, Disney films, etc. and honestly I think Disney was caught off guard by the success of Potter in Universal and moved quickly to snap up rights and use Avatar, as at the time it was still kind of a big film. This was before they owned Star Wars and found workaround's to use some Marvel in WDW. I think in hindsight it will be seen as a mediocre move and as good as FOP is, how much more can Pandora bring to the park? Especially if the sequels continue to be delayed or don't become massive box office hits.
Pandora was absolutely a counter to Rowlings Giving Disney the shove…they HAD a deal in place prior but Disney’s concepts sucked. They proposed a miniland in magic kingdom 🙄. Iger couldn’t find enough dimes in the couch…

but Pandora is fine…they did a great job. Star Wars land is mostly a punt because they wouldn’t use the foundation franchise (even though they have a billion references to it) and came up with a nothing backstory….

oh and the other thing: designed two bad rides on two movies that have zero staying power.

anyone remember much about the source material? Anyone? It’s been 4-6 years 😂

rogue one land would be immensely more popular…who called that?

…ok. Off course. Back to passes

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom