Disney cancels free tickets for Anaheim sixth-graders, cites pandemic - OCR/SCNG

Sailor310

I’d genuinely be curious how much this actually cost them a year? This is an incredibly slimy move, even from Disney.

Id rather they raise churros by 25 cents and keep this program.
5000 kids x $100/ticket=$500,000 (I read the newspaper article to get the 5,000 number)

Last edited:

waltography

5000 kids x $100/ticket=$500,000 (I read the newspaper article to get the 5,000 number)
That is pennies to Disney. Shameful.
Moreover, that -$500,000 on paper is really more like +$1,000,000 in practice, if you consider the sixth grader's parents + sibling(s) have to purchase tickets of their own to accompany them/redeem the free ticket. It really makes no sense.

Figments Friend

Seems to me this wouldn't really cost Disney anything.
Free admission for deserving kids costs them 'nothing' to let them click through the turnstile.
And the parent/ guardian would be paying a admission to accompany said kids....and paying for meals, etc.
So ......money is changing hands regardless.

Why dispose of that good will to the community by stopping the program?
Yeah, Disney has the right to end it....but...
Seems a bit of a shortsighted move considering the long term benefits it was likely providing.

-

TP2000

The company also is ending a similar, much longer arrangement with Walt Disney Elementary in Anaheim – a school that Disney himself reportedly used to visit after it was renamed in his honor. A Disney official said the agreement with Walt Disney Elementary was folded into the “Happiest Class” program five years ago.

On Friday, news of the program’s end had yet to reach most Anaheim schools. Once students learn about it, they will be crestfallen, local educators said.

“It was something sixth graders look forward to all school year,” said Disney Elementary Principal Regina Ford.

With schools fully reopening, students “are hoping everything is back to normal, and they’re very excited,” Ford said. “It’s going to be heartbreaking to tell the kids.”

Just as an FYI for those not familiar with OC, the neighborhood that Walt Disney Elementary School is in is not the glamorous version of OC you may see on TV. It is just west of Disneyland itself. It is solidly working class. It is majority non-white (for those of you who like to keep track of who is white and who isn't). It is a neighborhood that is visually non-glamorous, or even attractive.

Walt Disney Elementary School as seen from Orange Avenue.

0922933e8b2a19177a7ec65294871d8fa6e4e069_400x260_crop.jpg

Walt Disney Elementary serves the children in the 92804 Zip Code.
Anaheim Zip Code 92804 Demographics
School Age Population = 68% Hispanic, 16% Asian, 10% White, 3% Black, 3% Mixed Race
92804 Median Household Income = $58,000
(California Median Household Income = $76,000 - Orange County Median Household Income = $91,000)

A Disneyland Resort official called it a business decision.

Perfection. Absolute perfection. :rolleyes:

TP2000

Here's Walt addressing the faculty and students of the newly renamed Walt Disney Elementary School in Anaheim circa 1962. This was when the students at that school first started getting free tickets to Disneyland once they reached the 6th grade.

OCR-L-DISNEY6THGRADERS-01.jpg

Walt Disney Productions Net Profit Fiscal Year 1962 = $11 Million

Walt Disney Company Net Profit Fiscal Year 2019 = $11 Billion (with a B)

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Just as an FYI for those not familiar with OC, the neighborhood that Walt Disney Elementary School is in is not the glamorous version of OC you may see on TV. It is just west of Disneyland itself. It is solidly working class. It is majority non-white (for those of you who like to keep track of who is white and who isn't). It is a neighborhood that is visually non-glamorous, or even attractive.

Walt Disney Elementary School as seen from Orange Avenue.

0922933e8b2a19177a7ec65294871d8fa6e4e069_400x260_crop.jpg

Walt Disney Elementary serves the children in the 92804 Zip Code.
Anaheim Zip Code 92804 Demographics
School Age Population = 68% Hispanic, 16% Asian, 10% White, 3% Black, 3% Mixed Race
92804 Median Household Income = $58,000
(California Median Household Income = $76,000 - Orange County Median Household Income = $91,000)

Perfection. Absolute perfection. :rolleyes:

About 10 Blocks from my house. Also a couple of Blocks from In-n-Out!

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
One more interesting thing about Walt Disney Elementary, located in the city of Anaheim. Much of the land around it is not in the city, but in the unincorporated part of Orange County, called Garza Island.

1630311912927.png
on the middle bottom part.

This Map is District 2 of the city of Anaheim. All the white is basically Garza Island.

Orange Avenue is basically where the H in Brookhurst street.

Walt Disney Elementary is on the north side of Orange, the South side is County, behind WDE to the north, County. Property including a Church to the east, County. Even a bit to the West. basically, WDE became City land when it was built.

City land gets APD, County land is the Sheriff. Same with Fire Departments, though there is an agreement where each department allows the other to take the call if they would be faster.

One good thing, West Anaheim has its own Elementary School District instead of Anaheim Elementary SD. Alas, our Junior(Middle) and Senior High Schools are part of Anaheim Union HSD.

AndyS2992

Very unfortunate and very much in line with the new money grabbing and penny pinching Disney so I'm not at all surprised and well done to all the kids who participated over the years, however, not to be that guy but I think teaching kids that charity work is something that should be done to be rewarded is an iffy mindset to be sending out.

Last edited:

DrAlice

Very unfortunate and very much in line with the new money grabbing and penny pinching Disney so I'm not at all surprised and well done to all the kids who participated over the years, however, not to be that guy but I think teaching kids that charity work is something that should be done to be rewarded is an iffy mindset to be sending out.
I realize this is heading off topic, but.... I hear what you are saying about charity and rewards. Yes, you should do charity for charity's sake. Of course. However, this type of program is really to introduce the idea of charity work at all to the kids in the area. And to be fair, even scouts use badges as a reward and adults can claim donations on their taxes, so... 🤷‍♀️

Disstevefan1

>>Five years ago, with much fanfare, Disney started a program in which Anaheim sixth graders who fulfilled a community service project got free tickets to Disneyland.

A promotional video featuring Mickey himself at an Anaheim school captured the excitement: Two students smile and hold a sign bearing the program’s name, “Happiest Class on Earth,” as they say “I’m in sixth grade and I’m going to Disneyland!”

The giveaway, launched to kick off Disneyland’s 60th anniversary, was slated to last 10 years.

Now, one pandemic later, Disney is quietly ending the “Happiest Class” program.

The company also is ending a similar, much longer arrangement with Walt Disney Elementary in Anaheim – a school that Disney himself reportedly used to visit after it was renamed in his honor. A Disney official said the agreement with Walt Disney Elementary was folded into the “Happiest Class” program five years ago.

On Friday, news of the program’s end had yet to reach most Anaheim schools. Once students learn about it, they will be crestfallen, local educators said.

“It was something sixth graders look forward to all school year,” said Disney Elementary Principal Regina Ford.

With schools fully reopening, students “are hoping everything is back to normal, and they’re very excited,” Ford said. “It’s going to be heartbreaking to tell the kids.”

A Disneyland Resort official called it a business decision following the year-long COVID19-related closure of Disneyland and California Adventure theme parks. “As a result of the pandemic, we had to make many difficult decisions related to our business and unfortunately ending this program was one of them.”

The Disney official noted that the company has “a long history of supporting Anaheim schools and kids,” citing a bevy of programs and donations. She also said the company will be offering in the future new opportunities for schools and non-profits to earn tickets.<<

IS ANYONE ON THESE BOARDS SURPRISED???? :mad: TWDC WILL BE USING THE COVID CARD FOR YEARS TO COME!!!!

BuzzedPotatoHead89

What’s really weird to me is with all the effort going into the PR engine that is DisneylandForward (at some point in the future), this seems Iike the kind of shortsighted decision making that could leave a sour taste in folks’ mouths.

Combined with unbundling many of the free customer services, closing Disney stores, outsourcing Imagineering to Florida, very public spats with talent, etc., TWDC leadership really hasn’t been doing themselves many reputational favors lately.

Simply hiding under the cloak of their “more magic” and “more inclusion” messaging really isn’t going to cut it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom