News Walt Disney World to resume sales of Annual Passes (New sales resume April 20, 2023)

tagoofy

That or the points rental sites are going to see a big bump for those dates. Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants if DVC members with extra points figure out how to take money from the bucket that Chapek thought was all for Disney?
Count me in on that.

Not counting bonus rental $$ for special times like this, I can rent my points for 6K+/year. Time to start using that $$ to plan other vacations.

CJR

That or the points rental sites are going to see a big bump for those dates. Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants if DVC members with extra points figure out how to take money from the bucket that Chapek thought was all for Disney?

You'd come out ahead, undercut Disney's insane base prices, give people free parking, and possibly give that money to Disney's competition (not just talking about Universal, since that's often what people think of, but anything that competes for vacations).

doctornick

The reason is to obfuscate comparisons in search engines. Think less synergy more insidious.
While I get that, it would be nice if the new names had some sense of hierarchy. For example, just make them all Pirate themed and do something like scallawag, crewman, captain, admiral (these are just off the top of my head; someone could surely do better). These names they chose are completely irrelevant to the value of each pass which makes them more confusing.

Last edited:

matt9112

Why do they offer so many different options to FL residents then?

If they didn't care, they wouldn't offer the monthly payment plan. That would surely scare away a good portion of APs.

They care....enough. APs are great for filling in slower times of the year. Making some money is better than maling no money. The thing is they want to be able to push APs put of the say when its busy and the hotels are full. The way the lower tier passes are set up reflect that imho. If you want to just show up whenever you want you need to pay for it. Otherwise you need to work around the mouses schedule.

doctornick

Looks like DVC hotels are going to have trouble filling Christmas/Thanksgiving. I’m sure WDW is banking on booking regular guests into those rooms for the holiday rush. Can’t imagine what a cash price on a bungalow is for that time.
I doubt this changes anything much. Those were already relatively soft times for DVC usage - the trend is for DVC highest demand to be when points are lowest (i.e. the off season to the extent that it is like early December, Feb, late August). While certainly there are DVC owners who will go during those busy times, I’m not sure there are all that many that were dependent on Gold Passes to make it work (and there’s still a Platinum equivalent out there if needed).

doctornick

Why do they offer so many different options to FL residents then?

If they didn't care, they wouldn't offer the monthly payment plan. That would surely scare away a good portion of APs.
They offer so many passes to Florida residents to maintain good relations with the state government. It’s a way to show they “care” about the residents in the state to try to get as good treatment as possible.

that said, I do agree that I don’t know why they have a payment plan. Why not get all the money up front? It always seemed odd to me that such a thing even existed

SirLink

While I get that, it would be nice if the new names had some sense of hierarchy. For example, just make them all Pirate themed and do something like scallawag, crewman, captain, admiral (these are just off the top of my head;someone could surely do better). These names are completely irrelevant to the value of each pass

They are they based on how many muscles a thing has. Superheroes always have more muscles, its just a fact.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
For me, the calculus isn't the cost of old APs v. new APs.

That's because I'm out of state and had been going to WDW several times a year. I only got an AP because it was cheaper than the cost of the day-tickets for those trips.

And the cost of day-tickets have gone up, just like for the AP.

So, both in the old calculus v. the new calculus; it is the same: Once I go to WDW for more than 12-14 days (depending if I get the AP renewal discount), then the AP is cheaper than buying the day-tickets.

This doesn't change anything for me, except that WDW is more expensive, no matter what ticketing scheme I use.

ToTBellHop

They are they based on how many muscles a thing has. Superheroes always have more muscles, its just a fact.

How much does Mickey bench press?

1630351427468.png

Granted, doing this daily would give him mad cut deltoids.

Kevin_W

For me, the calculus isn't the cost of old APs v. new APs.

That's because I'm out of state and had been going to WDW several times a year. I only got an AP because it was cheaper than the cost of the day-tickets for those trips.

And the cost of day-tickets have gone up, just like for the AP.

So, both in the old calculus v. the new calculus; it is the same: Once I go to WDW for more than 12-14 days (depending if I get the AP renewal discount), then the AP is cheaper than buying the day-tickets.

This doesn't change anything for me, except that WDW is more expensive, no matter what ticketing scheme I use.

Good points, @MisterPenguin . That's the calculus of WDW vs. other vacations. (Or other Disney parks. It's a 15-hr flight instead of a 2.5 hour flight, but even including the plane cost I think visiting Tokyo Disney is cheaper than WDW.)

We have had AP''s twice before. If we did two week-long trips in a year (we went end of summer, then beginning of summer the next year) it made the math work vs. regular tickets. Now it's close and with dining discounts probably gets there, but otherwise not quite.

(Of course, both times we had AP's we also ended up making quite trips at Halloween or Christmas, which is the type of extra $$ WDW can earn by having AP's.)

DisneyCane

No mention of free parking, right? Are they going to charge for every level of AP? That would be a dealbreaker for some locals.
The link I went to from the email they sent me said that all passes get free standard parking. I'm just trying to translate what my current Gold pass would be in the new naming scheme.

It looks like they got rid of the photopass being included from all of the passes and made it a $99 add on.

Edit: @disneygeek90 beat me to the parking by a few seconds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom