The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

el_super

I just noticed on the Disneyland website that Big Thunder Mountain Railroad will be closed for refurbishment on 9/3 and will reopen in "fall 2021". I really hope that means all the explosion effects will be coming back.

The smoke effect in the final lift hill is just a rather unreliable effect. It is highly dependent on how many trains are running and whether the smoke can charge up in between trains. For what it's worth, it's been working on and off all this week.

The projection mapping has been around since the refurb in 2014, it just wasn't really obvious with the smoke going off.

Generally though.... projection mapping is garbage. Especially on Indy.

mickEblu

Original Poster
She has arrived!

869D420F-9EC8-4BCA-BC8B-58B39C7B470E.jpeg

Brer Panther

Why aren't things designed to be fun and colorful anymore? Complain about DCA 1.0 all you want, but at least it tried to be fun and colorful. Everything lately has been so drab. Galaxy's Edge is an obvious example of this, but it's not even just Disneyland. McDonald's used to have red roofs, neon lights, character statues, and sometimes even a jukebox. Now they're gray and brown coffee shops. That's no fun! Even commercials on TV used to be more fun. I was randomly recommended an old Chips Ahoy ad from the early 2000's and I just loved how unapologetically silly it was. It wasn't trying to be serious or hip, just advertising chocolate chip cookies through stop motion animation. Great stuff. Pop music's even the same way. Billie Eyelash is so drab compared to her early 2000's counterpart, Avril Lavigne. Is there no demand for fun anymore? Have people become so depressed and apathetic that they desire the drab? Well I don't! I want fun! Maybe I'm just nostalgic for the early 2000's, but they were so much simpler and things weren't so sad everywhere.
I've been wondering the same thing.

socalifornian

In two weeks, I'm taking a one-day trip to Disneyland Park. I normally stay for two or three days and also do DCA, but I'm limited on time so I'm just doing Disneyland on this trip. Does anyone have any advice/strategies for maximizing my time?
A lot of the old tricks feel over the top or dead with the current state. If I were going as a day player right now: Book ROTR in the first round to be safe, plan on standing in the hub near Walt and Mickeys statues by opening, then slowly move clockwise starting with Adventureland but favor e-tickets like Indy first

josh2000

A lot of the old tricks feel over the top or dead with the current state. If I were going as a day player right now: Book ROTR in the first round to be safe, plan on standing in the hub near Walt and Mickeys statues by opening, then slowly move clockwise starting with Adventureland but favor e-tickets like Indy first
Thanks for the advice! I'll plan accordingly.

I guess I've been doing it wrong my whole life, traditionally I've always started at Tomorrowland and then worked my way through the park from there. That's just how my family always did it when I was growing up so it's a habit at this point.

socalifornian

Thanks for the advice! I'll plan accordingly.

I guess I've been doing it wrong my whole life, traditionally I've always started at Tomorrowland and then worked my way through the park from there. That's just how my family always did it when I was growing up so it's a habit at this point.
Eh there’s no wrong way. Traditionally we’d rush Peter Pan since that line never dies, but also send a runner to get everyone space fastpasses at the same time. Maxpass made the latter part nicer throughout the day

smooch

Why aren't things designed to be fun and colorful anymore? Complain about DCA 1.0 all you want, but at least it tried to be fun and colorful. Everything lately has been so drab. Galaxy's Edge is an obvious example of this, but it's not even just Disneyland. McDonald's used to have red roofs, neon lights, character statues, and sometimes even a jukebox. Now they're gray and brown coffee shops. That's no fun! Even commercials on TV used to be more fun. I was randomly recommended an old Chips Ahoy ad from the early 2000's and I just loved how unapologetically silly it was. It wasn't trying to be serious or hip, just advertising chocolate chip cookies through stop motion animation. Great stuff. Pop music's even the same way. Billie Eyelash is so drab compared to her early 2000's counterpart, Avril Lavigne. Is there no demand for fun anymore? Have people become so depressed and apathetic that they desire the drab? Well I don't! I want fun! Maybe I'm just nostalgic for the early 2000's, but they were so much simpler and things weren't so sad everywhere.
While I agree about places all being boring now I disagree about the music part partially. In my town we had an old Taco Bell that was old and had its original theme of like an almost vaporwave style with golf themes (maybe cause it's sorta near a golf course around here, weird but unique at least) and recently they rethemed it to just be brown / grey and it looks identical to the other locations around here as well as the same as the McDonalds / etc. around here. I wish there was more use of color in terms of places like stores / restaurants / etc. but I guess as of now it is considered modern and stylish for everything to look the same. I wish companies would let interior designers have more fun and play around with more colors and fun shapes and stuff again. Everything blends together. As for the music, mainstream music can be pretty boring but there are plenty of artists / genres that still have fun. I listen to hyperpop and the aesthetics are very bright / eccentric and the music varies widely (it isn't even necessarily a genre just an umbrella term for a certain music scene) and doesn't take itself too serious and just has fun with the production / lyrics / etc. I think Apple's newest iMacs having all the fun colors and their iPhones having different colors can hopefully be a good start to reintroducing more color into products and such, although the colors are kinda muted it's better than the old selection of only black / silver / gold phones and only silver computers. Any time I watch a movie from the early 2000's I miss how fun and unpolished and unique logos for brands were and the interiors for different restaurants / stores had more color and fun stuff going on.

Darkbeer1

Hi folks, long time no write/read!!!

So, all of June and early July, was back East, a wild and busy 6 weeks. Learned a lot, got to speak at Bowling Green SU, Sandusky campus.

Lots of meetings, sat down with Vikki Hultquist, HersheyPark's GM. She wanted to know what was up in California currently. And other things.

Lisa was a wonderful spouse, and took it in stride.

We got a first floor room in one of the original wings of Hotel Breakers. (Nice large room), though we got kicked out a day early due to Cedar Point closing Two days a week.

Came back to having my Councilmember (District 2) resign because he was a stupid idiot. My West Anaheim community group finally agreed the current leader was failing on all aspects of her job, that issue is almost solved. The City Council is currently figuring out who to appoint, a good friend of mine will probably get the job, working on that currently.

Ashleigh Aitken has already taken out papers to run against the Mayor (Election is November, 2022. Anaheim has no primaries, the person with the most votes, even if not a majority, wins).

Dr. Moreno is termed out, and 4 folks have pulled papers in District 3.

District 2, well, the short term replacement needs to be made first, though seeing the applications will give you a good idea who will run in the 2022 election.

District 6 should be fairly safe. Here is a link to news stories.

There is a open seat on the planning commission, District 2 and I am thinking on applying, depending on who is named the replacement councilperson.

DisneylandForward is on hold until COVID calms down a bit, and they can hold neighborhood meetings in person.

Last week, got to attend the Opening Night of the RISE Bar at the Westin.

Here is a video of the Fireworks from the bar.

Darkbeer1

I am uploading, so you might not see it all at first.

This is is the special 150th Parade and evening show held after the parade.

Note, everyone working at CP got a minimum of $20 per hour plus nice signing bonuses (if you stayed working), Performers, ushers, etc.. due to Labor shortages, and no access to the foreign visa program they normally use (6 month Visa that is designed to help teach English, plus learn about the USA for Students)

Darkbeer1

Here is something I loved, we nicknamed her "Mummy".

She made her home on a Trash Can cabinet in front of one of the Hotel Breakers entrances. All the others have plants on the top. But the gardeners left her alone. (16 second video)

high plains drifter

Here is something I loved, we nicknamed her "Mummy".

She made her home on a Trash Can cabinet in front of one of the Hotel Breakers entrances. All the others have plants on the top. But the gardeners left her alone. (16 second video)

I also saw "Mummy" there when I stayed at Breakers in May!

brb1006

Since @Darkbeer1 return, he mentioned taking trips to various theme and amusement parks across the East coast. As an East coast resident, Darkbeer unlocked a core memory that I remember fondly. For those curious, its Dutch Wonderland located in Lancaster, Pennsylvania that my Aunt and Cousin took me bear the bed of Fall 2006 (a few weeks before my second trip to Walt Disney World). Will explain more later.

Edit: Scratch that might as well talk about some of the East Coast Parks that I visited in the past. Stay tune everyone.

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

Dutch Wonderland is part of the Palace Entertainment Group. So a Castle Park (Riverside) Platinum Pass gets you in the park. Also, Castle Park started to use Duke as its Mascot when it was bought by Palace.

brb1006

Dutch Wonderland is part of the Palace Entertainment Group. So a Castle Park (Riverside) Platinum Pass gets you in the park. Also, Castle Park started to use Duke as its Mascot when it was bought by Palace.

Any history behind Duke the Dragon (since its tricky to find history about the character)?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom