Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Professortango1

The video just shows one of the big problems I have with the layover. Splash Mountain's topography doesn't feel like the bayou. The vistas at the start of the ride have you overlooking the area, nothing like being in a flat marshland thick with trees. The ride is clearly inspired by Georgia's landscape, not the bayou.

It would be like trying to retheme Big Thunder to the county faire from Oz the Great and Powerful and trying to make the mountains look like the Kansas plains.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
The video just shows one of the big problems I have with the layover. Splash Mountain's topography doesn't feel like the bayou. The vistas at the start of the ride have you overlooking the area, nothing like being in a flat marshland thick with trees. The ride is clearly inspired by Georgia's landscape, not the bayou.

It would be like trying to retheme Big Thunder to the county faire from Oz the Great and Powerful and trying to make the mountains look like the Kansas plains.

True. Unfortunately management cares not for thematic integrity, hence the warehouse fortress powerplant, and high school musical in tomorrowland theater.

Homemade Imagineering

Just got off of Splash a few hours ago. My gosh, they're really running this into the ground. The Mother Possum AA's latex mask had a fairly noticeable tear in it, Mr. Bluebird looked to be missing the back of his head, the swamp boys were in rough condition (eyes drooping) not to mention the air pressure on some of the AAs, which wasn't properly adjusted so movements were rough. You can tell they're not putting much effort into show maintenance, considering they want this project underway sooner than later.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Just got off of Splash a few hours ago. My gosh, they're really running this into the ground. The Mother Possum AA's latex mask had a fairly noticeable tear in it, Mr. Bluebird looked to be missing the back of his head, the swamp boys were in rough condition (eyes drooping) not to mention the air pressure on some of the AAs, which wasn't properly adjusted so movements were rough. You can tell they're not putting much effort into show maintenance, considering they want this project underway sooner than later.
Splash always falls apart. Even when there wasn't a retheme looming it'd still fall apart.

BasiltheBatLord

Not sure if Tokyo's splash is in good condition.
It is. I can count on one hand the number of times I've ever seen a show element not functioning properly at TDR after a dozen or so visits.

The only effect in the entire resort that has consistent problems that I'm aware of is the "cubed" Randall at the end of Monsters Hide and Go Seek.

Dear Prudence

It is. I can count on one hand the number of times I've ever seen a show element not functioning properly at TDR after a dozen or so visits.

The only effect in the entire resort that has consistent problems that I'm aware of is the "cubed" Randall at the end of Monsters Hide and Go Seek.
Exactly. And Japan has actually seasons the the traditional sense with more extreme weather than Southern California and Florida. Regardless of how you feel about Splash, it's embarrassing how the US parks have no issues charging guests exorbitant entry rates for dilapidated attractions. Splash could be kept up in the US parks. I mean, even looking at YouTube footage, and every other comment is, "wow, a version of this ride where everything is working!"

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Did anybody watch Mickey Views (Brayden's) last video? He's a pretty bright guy and I appreciate how he tries to be positive but isn't afraid to call Disney out. He mentioned that Splash will NOT be receiving a high budget, and we can expect a majority of animatronics will be taken out. We might get a small number of high tech ones.

All speculative of course, but I believe it. The execs have been boneheaded.

Roger_the_pianist

Of course many people have a nostalgic connection to the critters in Splash Mtn, but honestly there is a clear move away from furry animatronics maybe not so much at Disney but elsewhere in entertainment. Five Nights at Freddie's created a sense of horror around these things which led to the revamp of ChuckECheese, and kids are unanimously aware of the evil Freddy characters much more so than the Splash critters.

There are some super scary ~creepy pastas~ out there about Bad Rabbit in Splash Mountain too.

*kids these days* are another reason that lots of crittertronics might not show up in the new attraction

Brer Panther

Of course many people have a nostalgic connection to the critters in Splash Mtn, but honestly there is a clear move away from furry animatronics maybe not so much at Disney but elsewhere in entertainment. Five Nights at Freddie's created a sense of horror around these things which led to the revamp of ChuckECheese, and kids are unanimously aware of the evil Freddy characters much more so than the Splash critters.

There are some super scary ~creepy pastas~ out there about Bad Rabbit in Splash Mountain too.

*kids these days* are another reason that lots of crittertronics might not show up in the new attraction
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, I'd argue that the Five Nights at Freddy's animatronics don't look even remotely like the Splash Mountain/America Sings animatronics.

Roger_the_pianist

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, I'd argue that the Five Nights at Freddy's animatronics don't look even remotely like the Splash Mountain/America Sings animatronics.
My point is that Five Nights plays into the creepiness of aninatronics, especially malfunctioning ones, which Splash is becoming more and more full of...

Disney Irish

Premium Member

I've stayed out of this for various reasons, but this part I'll wade in on.

The revamp of Chuck E. Cheese away from their original animatronics started happening long before FNAF came out in Aug 2014. They had been adjusting their shows since the late 90s and continued in the 00s. The removal of animatronics completely in most CEC restaurants started in 2015, long before FNAF became popular with the YouTube crowd.

Sorry but you're completely wrong on this one.

Roger_the_pianist

My point is that kids are not so attached to animatronic animals as old school Disney fans might be. At the end of the day these new attractions are for kids and their families to enjoy together, so I wouldn't be surprised if new Splash takes a step back from a lot of critters with hurkyjerk movements and focuses on different aesthetics. I'm imagining a lot of the same elements we've seen added to Snow White's Enchanted Wish.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
My point is that kids are not so attached to animatronic animals as old school Disney fans might be. At the end of the day these new attractions are for kids and their families to enjoy together, so I wouldn't be surprised if new Splash takes a step back from a lot of critters with hurkyjerk movements and focuses on different aesthetics. I'm imagining a lot of the same elements we've seen added to Snow White's Enchanted Wish.
I disagree, the FNAF craze from the YouTube crowd has seen a resurgence of interest in animatronic animals.

The reality is that Tiana's ride will have modern animatronics, not with the "hurky jerky" movements of 1989, but smooth motion of 2021+. I suspect that Tiana herself will be an A1000 similar to Belle or the Na'vi Shaman with fluid smooth movement. In addition I also suspect any reused AAs will likely be static so maintenance is less of an issue.

Homemade Imagineering

The revamp of Chuck E. Cheese away from their original animatronics started happening long before FNAF came out in Aug 2014. They had been adjusting their shows since the late 90s and continued in the 00s. The removal of animatronics completely in most CEC restaurants started in 2015, long before FNAF became popular with the YouTube crowd.
This exactly. CEC simply doesn’t have the budget to repair shows anymore, nor do they care. Nowadays they’ll take hammers and destroy the mechs of the characters, whilst ripping up the cosmetics in order to avoid any complications with their intellectual property getting out. They stopped producing Munch’s Make Believe Band shows back in the mid to late 90s, and quickly moved to the “Studio C” format show with a singular character (Chuck) in animatronic form. FNAF has had zero influence on the removal of the animatronics, and if anything I’ve seen more children being interested in the animatronic show at CEC due to FNAF’s existence. Losing the America Sings AAs for screens would be the worst thing to come out of this re-theme, so I’m cautiously optimistic they’ll reuse a good handful of em.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I'm open to the possibility that a child might be frightened by the critters on Disneyland's Splash. As much as I love them, I'll admit most of them are ancient and chintzy.

But the critters on the Orlando and Tokyo versions? No way. They look fantastic, in a universal, timeless way.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This exactly. CEC simply doesn’t have the budget to repair shows anymore, nor do they care. Nowadays they’ll take hammers and destroy the mechs of the characters, whilst ripping up the cosmetics in order to avoid any complications with their intellectual property getting out. They stopped producing Munch’s Make Believe Band shows back in the mid to late 90s, and quickly moved to the “Studio C” format show with a singular character (Chuck) in animatronic form. FNAF has had zero influence on the removal of the animatronics, and if anything I’ve seen more children being interested in the animatronic show at CEC due to FNAF’s existence. Losing the America Sings AAs for screens would be the worst thing to come out of this re-theme, so I’m cautiously optimistic they’ll reuse a good handful of em.
Well if you wanna get technical Munch's Band (replacement for Rock-afire Explosion) was from ShowBiz Pizza (competitor to the original CEC) which came in 1989 after Chuck E. Cheese which started in 1977. The Chuck E. Cheese character was always there since 1977. It was after the merger of the two companies which saw the unification of all restaurants using the CEC name and character which started in 1990.

Fun fact I grew up near the original Chuck E. Cheese location that opened in 1977 and is still there today.

Brer Panther

I disagree, the FNAF craze from the YouTube crowd has seen a resurgence of interest in animatronic animals.
Indeed, I've been seeing a weird amount of fan art, photos, etc. for pizza restaurant animatronics in recent years.

As someone who finds the majority of pizza restaurant animatronics scary, that's not something I'm happy about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom