News Gangway being prepped near to the Contemporary - second level access coming to the ferry boat?

castlecake2.0

Fair question -- but I always assumed that with a water depth of ~14ft the upper deck would be above water if one sank. Obviously there are other types of emergencies.
It just seems similar to all the extra stairs they added to the monorail stations lately

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I wonder if this is something planned for normal operations or more about all the work being done to improve emergency evacuation capabilities.
Loading ferries post fireworks is almost as bad a waiting for the monorail. It always resulted in extensive lines and frustrations. With the new evening shows, this would be a quicker way to get people on the boat and lower dispatch times.

I don't expect any changes on the other side at the TTC because unloading is always faster than loading. It also looks as if, it's only going to be done at one ferry slip, since the other slip doesn't look like it can accommodate it as easily due to its location and angle.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Loading ferries post fireworks is almost as bad a waiting for the monorail. It always resulted in extensive lines and frustrations. With the new evening shows, this would be a quicker way to get people on the boat and lower dispatch times.

I don't expect any changes on the other side at the TTC because unloading is always faster than loading. It also looks as if, it's only going to be done at one ferry slip, since the other slip doesn't look like it can accommodate it as easily due to its location and angle.
I don't disagree, I experienced it a few weeks ago on a Saturday night. I was more referencing a general effort underway to improve the ability to evacuate the Magic Kingdom in an emergency situation. As it's been described to me, that was the driver for the stairs in the MK and TTC monorail stations. It was also the driver for the MK to GF pathway. That path wasn't about giving folks a walking path, it was about having a way to get everyone out of the Magic Kingdom quickly in an emergency.

lazyboy97o

I wonder if this is something planned for normal operations or more about all the work being done to improve emergency evacuation capabilities.
I feel like this is more for emergency exit than normal ops?
An emergency evacuation doesn’t seem like the time to be bothering with operating, moving and trying to align extra equipment that is not used often.

castlecake2.0

An emergency evacuation doesn’t seem like the time to be bothering with operating, moving and trying to align extra equipment that is not used often.
I just don’t see how this could make a big enough impact in efficiency in normal ops. But I’m open to being proved wrong.

The monorail and skyliner both have extra equipment to assist in evacs that are not typically used, so it’s not without precedence.

lazyboy97o

I just don’t see how this could make a big enough impact in efficiency in normal ops. But I’m open to being proved wrong.

The monorail and skyliner both have extra equipment to assist in evacs that are not typically used, so it’s not without precedence.
Just a couple of minutes can improve turn around times. Just more width means more people getting on and off which will reduce dwell times.

The equipment used for the Monorail and Skyliner are used by Reedy Creek Emergency Services and don’t replicate something already present on those vehicles. These are essentially extra stairs near the existing stairs. What scenario would have the ferry in the dock with both stairs blocked and it safe to go past the stair nearest the dock?

cranbiz

I could see additional embark/disembark points being good for operational efficiency at rope drop and park close. It would be interesting to see if the TTC gets included in this also. These changes could easily allow one to two additional trips across the Seven Seas lagoon and or decrease the need to run 3 boats at those times therefore reducing the need for more CM's.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Sorry I was unable to get a picture. But in the clearing in front of Contemporary where a lot of these materials now are, yesterday we watched construction of the steel structure that I assume is the framework for this for a while yesterday (breakfast in Cali Grill). It looks like one structure is almost complete - we watched a couple large pieces of steel added to it.

cranbiz

Makes me Wonder if the Weight ratio, will
Make it too top heavy, and tippy??
For moving the gangway setup or are you concerned about the ferries?

The ferries won't be an issue, they already load the top decks. All this is doing is making egress easier and faster than merging everyone at the stairs on the ferry. It will easily make turn around faster at the MK. I do wonder if the same improvements will occur at the TTC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom