Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaughingGravy

Does anyone else here get emails from their parents with links to let's say..more than likely opposite opinions on topics similar( and not ) to the subject of this thread, in attempts to rile or ask your opinion, when they already know what it is?

Lilofan

I think you are much closer to the Mark here. I live in a state with no mask mandates and no Covid protocols whatsoever. Service industry businesses are still struggling to find employees. Many close early or have suspended to go orders etc. A lot of people don’t want to go back to those jobs. What will happen over time? Some people will go back and many businesses will have to improve working conditions.
One business to help improve working conditions and raise the staff pay was at my local bagel place. There is a posted sign " Due to Covid, we have to raise all of the menu prices ".

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Does anyone else here get emails from their parents with links to let's say..more than likely opposite opinions on topics similar( and not ) to the subject of this thread, in attempts to rile or ask your opinion, when they already know what it is?
My aunt. I’ve stopped responding. I already participate in social media, so my reserve of sadomasochism is dwindling.

Patcheslee

It would be a win for employers if the employers would make arrangements w health care providers for their employees to facilitate / make as convenient as possible getting vaccinated. Rather than threaten employees lively hood and careers.
My work has set up vaccination clinics at the plant 3 times now. Given people 2 hours paid to take time off for vaccination elsewhere. We're only at 53% vaccinated.
I don't think making it easy is going to change a holdouts decision.

DisneyCane

I think you are much closer to the Mark here. I live in a state with no mask mandates and no Covid protocols whatsoever. Service industry businesses are still struggling to find employees. Many close early or have suspended to go orders etc. A lot of people don’t want to go back to those jobs. What will happen over time? Some people will go back and many businesses will have to improve working conditions.
Are the people who don't want to go back still able to get unemployment compensation? In some cases (as in the case of somebody my friend knows) they were in the restaurant industry. When the restaurant shut down due to the "lockdowns" the person got a job driving for Doordash (or Uber eats, can't remember) and ended up making more money doing deliveries than working in the kitchen. When the restaurant reopened she kept doing deliveries and didn't return to her former job.

LaughingGravy

Here in NJ, you can get away with paying a server $3.13 per hour because of the possibility of making it up (or more!) in tips.
Gee, why would they have a problem filling that position? General public, attitudes, exposure risk, no tip? Hmmm...

sullyinMT

FB Messenger from a cousin. Actually had to block him because of the attacks he was levying against healthcare workers in general. I became convinced that the only person he was trying to deceive was himself. The rest of the family (paternal) thinks he’s nuts, but still talks to him.

My maternal family is broken in other ways 🤣, but 100% vaxxed where eligible. Their opinions reflect the regulars here: nuanced differences, but respectful and reasonable.

Patcheslee

51 new cases in our county today. We're now back to mid December 2020 numbers.
6 new positive student cases at DD12s school last week, which serves on 7/8th grade. No notification from the school.
For perspective the school only had 7 student cases for all of the 2020-2021 school year. Masks and distancing required last year, this year no mask requirement and no distancing. We've been in school since August 5th.

sullyinMT

I’m seeing a lot of this lately.
Question: does this also apply to eligible dependents? In a previous hospital that had a nicotine surcharge, that penalty was applied to members and their 18+ spouses and children. If DAL or others going this route hit people with a $200 PER MEMBER surcharge for all 16+ (the fully approved age, I’d concede EUA for now), that could add up very, very quickly if baggage handler Carl, his wife, and their UGA student child all remain unvaxxed and on the company health plan.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
For any of you (I think @helenabear is one) who is part of the 3rd dose trial, how were the side effects of the 3rd dose compared to the 2nd? My mom (who would be booster eligible at the beginning of October) is worried because she had a pretty bad reaction to Pfizer dose #2 (severe chills and rapid heart rate).

My reaction was similar to the one I had when I got the second shot (Pfizer study here). Of course, I don't know for sure if I got the real thing or the placebo, but I'd be shocked if it was the placebo, given that my reaction (sore arm, chills, tired feeling, bit of a headache) was identical to when I received the second dose (and was gone within 48 hours). I can't imagine a saline injection made me feel that way.

Timmay

No trial for me. I lined up my Moderna booster last Sat. For a day after the shot was headaches , arm ache and a little fatigue.After the second Moderna shot, was tough with flu like symptoms , fever , aches in bed for a whole day. I like the fact that the only way I got get my CDC card filled out by the pharmacist for the booster shot and handed back to me was I had to sit for 15 min observation monitored by an egg timer.
Do you meet the recommendations for a third poke?

Chi84

Premium Member
Question: does this also apply to eligible dependents? In a previous hospital that had a nicotine surcharge, that penalty was applied to members and their 18+ spouses and children. If DAL or others going this route hit people with a $200 PER MEMBER surcharge for all 16+ (the fully approved age, I’d concede EUA for now), that could add up very, very quickly if baggage handler Carl, his wife, and their UGA student child all remain unvaxxed and on the company health plan.
The article doesn't say, but the reason for the surcharge is the amount the company has to pay out for people who contract COVID, so I wouldn't be surprised.

mmascari

In some cases (as in the case of somebody my friend knows) they were in the restaurant industry. When the restaurant shut down due to the "lockdowns" the person got a job driving for Doordash (or Uber eats, can't remember) and ended up making more money doing deliveries than working in the kitchen. When the restaurant reopened she kept doing deliveries and didn't return to her former job.
News stories and service jobs all seem to talk about this like it's a surprise.

A year ago (give or take) a whole bunch of companies laid off huge numbers of employees.
Now, they want to hire them all back, ideally for them at the same pay as before.

But, as pointed out above, it's not like those people sat in suspended hibernation for the last year, doing nothing just waiting to go back to the same job they were dropped from. Sure, some may have been able to go on unemployment, with expanded benefits, just waiting to go back where they started. But, some huge number of them found other ways to earn a living.

Those companies looking to hire back the let go work force aren't primarily competing against someone doing nothing looking for a job. They're competing against the replacement job those people found. A replacement that may pay more. May have less risk. Is probably less variable due to changes in COVID spread, after all they got the job and have been doing it throughout the pandemic now. Even doing nothing, if the extra risk of the job or other things like child care or extra pandemic expenses make returning to a low paying job a negative value instead of actually making money.

Not to mention all the workers who don't exist at all anymore.

None of this is a surprise that low paying jobs that immediately dropped all their employees providing very little job security and generally not great working conditions would be harder to refill afterwards. They kind of count on a steady supply of new entry workers showing up as fast as existing workers move on to better things. This was a massive push to existing workers to move on faster than new ones are showing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom