News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

dsinclair

As of this second it has the second highest wait in the world’s most popular theme park, so I would say it’s far from stale. If anything, inserting a princess theme could push the teenage and older crowds away from the attraction.
Because teenagers love the brer characters but hate rides with a princess?

999th Happy Haunt

Because teenagers love the brer characters but hate rides with a princess?
I won’t claim teens love the brer characters, but there’s definitely less appeal to a ride for teens when you tell them there’s princesses in it.

I recently went on a trip with my friends who haven’t been in quite a long time, Splash was one of their favorite rides but I could not come close to convincing them to go on Frozen Ever After or anything in Fantasyland even though they’re also quality rides.

DCLcruiser

Then why not just build a new ride?
You could, but Splash has to be updated because as I said: "The IP could also be toxic in the future if Gen Z and Gen whatever after feels awkward about it."

I won’t claim teens love the brer characters, but there’s definitely less appeal to a ride for teens when you tell them there’s princesses in it.

I recently went on a trip with my friends who haven’t been in quite a long time, Splash was one of their favorite rides but I could not come close to convincing them to go on Frozen Ever After or anything in Fantasyland even though they’re also quality rides.
You could be right. That is for marketing to determine. I can see that for FEA as it is a slow boat ride and Fantasyland is also kiddie (ex 7DMT, etc.). Splash Mountain has a 49 ft drop into water. Even if it was Minnie's Polka Dot Drop it would still get people to ride on a hot Florida day.

EDIT: "ex" - meaning except, not example.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

You could be right. That is for marketing to determine. I can see that for FEA as it is a slow boat ride and Fantasyland is also kiddie (ex 7DMT, etc.). Splash Mountain has a 49 ft drop into water. Even if it was Minnie's Polka Dot Drop it would still get people to ride on a hot Florida day.

The bigger issue is getting people to ride when it's not hot. Splash was still one of the most popular rides in the park even on "colder" days. I was last there in January of 2020, and Splash had the longest wait in the park on a day in the low 70s.

I'm sure people will still ride regardless, but if they severely downgrade the attraction I wouldn't be surprised to see the wait times drop.

dsinclair

The bigger issue is getting people to ride when it's not hot. Splash was still one of the most popular rides in the park even on "colder" days. I was last there in January of 2020, and Splash had the longest wait in the park on a day in the low 70s.

I'm sure people will still ride regardless, but if they severely downgrade the attraction I wouldn't be surprised to see the wait times drop.
Downgrading the quality of the ride in terms of animatronics and design (which is a legitimate concern) is different than saying teenagers and older won't ride it if there is a princess attached to it, which is a ludicrous statement.

UNCgolf

Downgrading the quality of the ride in terms of animatronics and design (which is a legitimate concern) is different than saying teenagers and older won't ride it if there is a princess attached to it, which is a ludicrous statement.

Sure, but I didn't say anything about that? I was responding to the suggestion that it's only popular because it has a drop into water on hot days.

DCLcruiser

I hear your concerns. Marketing will do its thing and this will be a hit as usual.

Kirby86

For what its worth, I'm always grateful for anything that shines a spotlight on PatF. It was unfairly deemed a flop, in my opinion.
Looking at its box office returns it definitely underperformed. Disney was expecting more than a 269 million gross at the worldwide box office. That has nothing to do with quality since I personally like the film.

Bleed0range

As of this second it has the second highest wait in the world’s most popular theme park, so I would say it’s far from stale. If anything, inserting a princess theme could push the teenage and older crowds away from the attraction.

I think it is so popular because it is a water ride with a big drop and lasts a decent amount of time. I would argue the IP associated with it has never really been that big of a reason why people love Splash Mountain. A lot of people like the song at the end, but otherwise I don’t know if the IP really had ever had much to do with it. I love the ride and I could care less about it. I certainly don’t want to watch Song of the South.

UNCgolf

I think it is so popular because it is a water ride with a big drop and lasts a decent amount of time. I would argue the IP associated with it has never really been that big of a reason why people love Splash Mountain. A lot of people like the song at the end, but otherwise I don’t know if the IP really had ever had much to do with it. I love the ride and I could care less about it. I certainly don’t want to watch Song of the South.

It's not the IP -- it's the overall quality. The IP is basically irrelevant.

If it was like the Little Mermaid ride inside, it wouldn't be nearly as popular.

DCLcruiser

If it was like the Little Mermaid ride inside, it wouldn't be nearly as popular.
I don't agree. The draw is the drop, not the old animatronics of possums.

If the animatronics were underwater creatures and Ariel was singing about thing-a-mabobs at the end, it would be just as popular. Maybe more since people would recognize the IP.

Bleed0range

I agree. I don’t think the retheme will affect the popularity at all. In fact, I expect it’s going to be as popular as 7DMT when it reopens.

I think the ride will pretty much be the same with maybe less animatronics but still cool effects. I don’t think any of the animatronics on the ride are so amazing that it would be a big loss. The number of them are just a cost cutting measure from the past anyway.

Bleed0range

If the animatronics were underwater creatures and Ariel was singing about thing-a-mabobs at the end, it would be just as popular. Maybe more since people would recognize the IP.

I am not sure if I misunderstood his question but I agree with your sentiment. Everyone loves the drop, the water… it’s Orlando.

UNCgolf

You're not getting my point.

If it was a high quality version of the Little Mermaid it almost certainly would be a bigger draw because of the IP. I'm saying if it was like the Little Mermaid ride that actually exists -- which is poorly designed and nearly always a walk-on -- it would not be as popular as what currently exists at Splash because the quality would be much lower.

The drop is a big part of the draw, but it's not the only draw. If it was, there'd be no reason to bother with a theme at all -- just throw in a bare bones log flume and save money. The overall quality of the attraction is why it still gets among the longest lines in the park even on days when the water is not refreshing.

Bleed0range

I do think the ride should retain a gender-neutral title so that it isn't stereotyped as a "girl's attraction." To be clear, I love Disney princesses, but I know there's a large segment of male park-goers who would avoid a ride with a title like "Tiana's Magical Adventure!"

I don’t think they should even change the name. Maybe just add a subtitle to it.

DCLcruiser

You're not getting my point.

If it was a high quality version of the Little Mermaid it almost certainly would be a bigger draw because of the IP. I'm saying if it was like the Little Mermaid ride that actually exists, which is bad and nearly always a walk-on, it would not be as popular as what currently exists at Splash because the quality would be much lower.

The drop is part of the draw, but it's not the only draw. If it was, there'd be no reason to bother with a theme at all -- just throw in a bare bones log flume and save money. The overall quality of the attraction is why it still gets among the longest lines in the park even on days when the water is not refreshing.
I get your point, but I don't expect the current animatronics to change much. They already fit the movie. Just replace the big bear butt with Louis stuck in the wall and a couple of new Tiana's and you have the ride. I don't expect a massive downgrade.

Splash Mountain: New Orleans
Splash Mountain: Dr. Facillier's Revenge
Splash Mountain: Under New Management
Splash Mountain: Bayou Edition

The name will probably not change much. Splash Mountain: Tiana's Bayou Adventure

LittleBuford

Has anyone tried to explain a "mountain" in the southern Louisiana bayou? Is it DISNEY MAGIC?!?
I know the bolded was meant sarcastically, but I would say that’s a good answer to your question. People are being so literal-minded about the whole thing, ignoring the fact that we’re talking about a theme park in which animals walk and talk and a castle overlooks an American high street. If it’s OK to turn Chickapin Hill into a mountain, I see no problem with doing the same for Tiana’s bayou. It’s meant to be fun and fantastic, not a like-for-like representation of US geography.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom