The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

Speedy71

Here's one of the banners at Epcot.
6atnUWD.jpg
giphy.gif

Tay

I had such high expectations for the 50th. No night time parade announcement yet, Tron which is a copy, if we are lucky may be finished in time for the 55th and I’m sure they’ll raise the ticket prices again. Yeah I bet Walt and Roy are smiling down right now. 🙄 Hopefully I can make it to Tokyo’s 40th to actually honor Walt’s legacy and not shareholders.

Lil Copter Cap

Looks like the celebration is starting earlier than planned. 😧 Just a little joke. Seems like whoever coded this bad boy forgot a "0" in today's countdown spot on the MDE app. 😅

Attachments

• OCT1-wrongdate.jpg
    OCT1-wrongdate.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 41

Disneyson

Very little of Walt Disney World's 50th Anniversary has anything to do with Walt Disney World.

It's more like the one-year anniversary celebration of Disney+
Even this year’s Destination D ends with a D23 party rather than a birthday party. Big yikes.

Also, I’m so incredibly shocked that they followed up what was obviously going to be a polarizing announcement for fans with mostly negative sentiment (Genie) with a polarizing announcement for fans with mostly negative sentiment (Enchantment). I know that they threw some admittedly cool Cruise Line stuff in there to placate the fans, but this just makes me want to wait for a Disney Cruise rather than plan any trips to WDW. In fact, the guest experience after October 1 might be actively worse in the Magic Kingdom (with crowding and Enchantment depending on how it is received).

Casper Gutman

Even this year’s Destination D ends with a D23 party rather than a birthday party. Big yikes.

Also, I’m so incredibly shocked that they followed up what was obviously going to be a polarizing announcement for fans with mostly negative sentiment (Genie) with a polarizing announcement for fans with mostly negative sentiment (Enchantment). I know that they threw some admittedly cool Cruise Line stuff in there to placate the fans, but this just makes me want to wait for a Disney Cruise rather than plan any trips to WDW. In fact, the guest experience after October 1 might be actively worse in the Magic Kingdom (with crowding and Enchantment depending on how it is received).
They don't really care very much about the fans - or regular guests. They take them for granted. As far as management is concerned, streams of paying guests show up no matter what they do. Which is true. Look at how readily folks began shelling out for a $260 scaled-down holiday party - something that would have seemed like an absurd parody premise on these boards a few years ago. Until guests stop paying - or WDW is seriously scared that they will stop paying - things will get worse.

And at this moment, cruise upgrades seem like a very mixed blessing.

Dan Deesnee

For anyone wondering why this 50th celebration has almost nothing to do with the 50 year legacy of the parks allow me to explain:

Let's start with the new fireworks show because this example tells you everything about their REAL strategy -

• This show is not meant to be a 50th anniversary show. It's true purpose is to give something "new" to draw guests in.
  • This is a low cost alternative to a new attraction.
  • The show won't have much, if anything to do with the 50'th because it's true purpose is to run for years after the 50th officially ends.
  • It is too costly to create a 50'th focused firework show that can only run for 2 years.
  • With the announced characters, this appears to be meant to push Disney + subscriptions but Bob won't return my calls so I can't confirm.

Now, apply that to nearly every other thing they are ACTUALLY doing for the 50'th. Cosmic Rewind is an anomaly simply because it was too far along to cancel when Covid hit. Same for Rattatoulituie (not a typo). Almost (I think?) every costly addition that COULD be cancelled WAS cancelled (or indefinitely delayed).

1. The 50'th anniversary statues - Incredibly cheap compared to a new attraction and can easily bring perceived value to the parks for decades to come.
  2. The lights on Spaceship Earth - Not sure on cost but overall total project cost likely not more than a million dollars, possibly in the hundred thousands. Again, a likely cheap (compared to an attraction and other now cancelled Epcot changes) and permanent addition that has nothing to do with the 50'th but will add perceived value.
  3. Moana Splash Pads - This will almost assuredly be nothing like the experience that was originally planned, has nothing to do with the 50'th and will be around for decades.
  4. Special projections on park "monuments" - Cheap, simple, short term "value adders".
  5. Castle Overlay / Paint - Castle was looking faded, more of a necessity than a "let's do it for the 50th" in my opinion. The new castle paint job is growing on me. Other than that they just tossed some decorations on it (and they don't look expensive to me). An easy, inexpensive value add compared to new attractions.
  6. New Character Costumes - Life changing...
  7. Kite Tails Show - They simply don't know what to do with that lake. This is just a re-use of old Epcot fireworks show stuff. Cheap.
  8. THE CAST - I am not joking, they are advertising that the cast is part of the celebration (Here). Although it doesn't mention if they are including the tens of thousands they fired or not.
  9. MERCHANDISE - Again, this is not a joke, they are advertising that Merchandise is part of the reason to come to the 50th...link above, but NSFL warning as you may barf.
  10. Cupcakes out the A** - There will be at least 20 to 200 new "50th anniversary!" cupcakes. Enjoy at your own risk.
With all that said, you now see the strategy:

- Minimal cost
- Maximum "perceive value" to guests
- Long lasting where possible, far beyond the 50'th (double bang for their buck)
- Shill products and merchandise.

That being said, I am actually super excited to go. Why? Because I'm a Disney addicted ...

SEE YOU THERE!!!

Squishy

Looks like another of the 50th banners popped up at EPCOT, and it has a blue iridescent background instead of pink. So, either it differs by park or there will be clusters of different iridescent hues.
I'm guessing is many different versions of the banners. In the 50th commercial you can see another Epcot version.
Kqfe6jb.png

mikejs78

Premium Member
Might that HEA relying on projections for part of the show vs Wishes being a FIREWORKS show contribute to that meh’ feeling. I suspect the new show will rely even more on projections than expensive shells which are one time use.

You know the bobs favorite dance ‘The expense reduction shuffle’
You do realize that HEA is longer and has more fireworks than Wishes did, right?

But that would contradict your narrative.

UNCgolf

You do realize that HEA is longer and has more fireworks than Wishes did, right?

But that would contradict your narrative.

Yeah, HEA doesn't rely on projections at all. I'm not sure what he's talking about.

In fact, my only issue with it is the opposite -- I think the projections and fireworks sometimes compete with each other rather than complement each other. The viewer's attention is sometimes drawn in two different directions at once. It's still a very good show, but I think that aspect of the show design could be better.

Last edited:

Crazydisneyfanluke

Thought of this the other day pure speculation, but with the 50th celebration having phases.....

Magic happens is rumored not to return to DL until 2023 since its MSEP 50th Anniversary next year, which they are rumored to bring back. Could it be coming to FL?

I know insiders have said that DL wont lend a parade to WDW, but I thought it was interesting that this parade will be dark for nearly 2.5 years before it comes back.

jrhwdw

Thought of this the other day pure speculation, but with the 50th celebration having phases.....

Magic happens is rumored not to return to DL until 2023 since its MSEP 50th Anniversary next year, which they are rumored to bring back. Could it be coming to FL?

I know insiders have said that DL wont lend a parade to WDW, but I thought it was interesting that this parade will be dark for nearly 2.5 years before it comes back.
I'm sorry but I don't see any reason why MH can't run during the Day with MSEP! WDW had NO Problem running Day and Night Parades from 1977 to 2016!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom