Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Jrb1979

Capacity was an issue even with old fp+. The reason people hated it was because you woke up early and since other people's trip dates melded into yours most things were taken already. With day of that race is more even but still the same amount of people trying for the rides. So waking up early to make sure to snag the must do genie + ride might be a nightmare.. I hope not tho.
With only holding 1 at time I don't think it will be bad. The only people it will be bad for is those that sleep in and go into the parks at noon.

Ripken10

Unlimited tier 2 rides as long as they have slots available . . . You could conceivably ride 2 rides and go to get a time for a 3rd and have Genie+ tell you “Sorry all time slots are full” Right??
Just remember the number of lightning passes given out will be a fraction of the number of fast passes. Not everybody that used the free system will buy into this. It is a subset of those. We could argue all day what that exact percentage is, but it will be a subset. Furthermore, all individuals for 3 initial fast passes, here each person gets 1. So the number of lightning passes given out will always be a fraction of what fast passes was

Jrb1979

I never walked into a park before 10am in 7 trips. Ever once. Staying late a different story. But with FP+ I booked my 3 rides 60 days in advance. I woke up at 7am one day and chose my FPs for every park day once and that was it. And I got my 1 headliner and 2 tier 2s always later in the day. To me that seems more flexible.

Genie + has potential. Some things I like about it...they seen to be very lenient and open to including some previous headliner rides and you can book your next ride right after checking into your previous one.

I do believe (someone can correct me) if I want a ride and at 7am I choose it for next available and it's late in the day i can still pick my next ride 90 minutes after the park opens (the 90 minute or you use your last pass rule before booking another) so I can handle getting one for much later in day in thst case. But if I waited until after 7 for a little while hoping to get a later slot and it's gone that will be a problem for people.
They have not confirmed that you will be able to pick another ride 90 minutes later. That was how it was done with Max Pass. I have this feeling that isn't happening this time. I say that cause I see it becoming an issue in that people will find a way to hold multiple rides.

cslafferty

This is a different case. You chose to make that 3rd ride 3rd in your list. That's on us. I do not like it either but that is our doing. My issue is the first one at 7am being booked for a time too early or that conflicts with something else.
Right. I think many are thinking if they pay for Genie+ they can walk onto any tier 2 ride all day long and I don’t think that’s the case.

Waters Back Side

They have not confirmed that you will be able to pick another ride 90 minutes later. That was how it was done with Max Pass. I have this feeling that isn't happening this time. I say that cause I see it becoming an issue in that people will find a way to hold multiple rides.

You only hold multiple rides if your next one is much later in the day. Like at 10am when choosing your second ride and it is not available until 4pm 6 hours later. Then at 11:30 you can pick another based on availability. That's the only scenario you hold 2.

Muffinpants

You only hold multiple rides if your next one is much later in the day. Like at 10am when choosing your second ride and it is not available until 4pm 6 hours later. Then at 11:30 you can pick another based on availability. That's the only scenario you hold 2.
Seems they are making it way more complicated when I thought it was meant to make things simple.

Waters Back Side

Then if you end up with a Genie + ride late in the day with first or even 2nd choice you are screwed. You basically gave them $15 to access LL twice. If you are allowed as many as you want one at a time they have to make it so that you have flexibility. You know..the thing Genie + promised?

Besides..at what point would you then choose your 2nd ride after the first? There has to be a certain time they allow you to pick the next one

Muffinpants

Then if you end up with a Genie + ride late in the day with first or even 2nd choice you are screwed. You basically gave them $15 to access LL twice. If you are allowed as many as you want one at a time they have to make it so that you have flexibility. You know..the thing Genie + promised?

Besides..at what point would you then choose your 2nd ride after the first? There has to be a certain time they allow you to pick the next one
Maybe they think that there will always be a pass available within the next hour so it will just be after tap in. Like if you tried to make one at 7am it would never give you an option for later than 10am.

Joeamc

Seems they are making it way more complicated when I thought it was meant to make things simple.
I don’t really see what’s so complicated about it. You go to the park, you pull up the genie+ app, genie+ tells you what rides to go on in the lightning lane right now (or at a given time within the hour or so), you go on that ride/attraction. Then repeat the process through the day.

Last edited:

Waters Back Side

I don’t really see what’s so complicated about it. You go to the park, you pull up the genie+ app, genie+ tells you what rides to go on in the lightning lane right now, you go on that ride/attraction. Then repeat the process through the day.

Theoretically that is correct. But the common trend will be the first ride will be the one you want the most. And if its first available you might have to get to the park early. Unless they spread out availability like mentioned.

If I want Big Thunder and at 7am the first available is 8am and i choose not to go on it that early so I choose another ride or wait a bit that ride might be no longer an option later if it's a busy day. I'm sure we will learn more about this but IMO it's a valid concern especially if we like to get to the park later.

Touchdown

If Genie plus is like Maxpass, it benefits you to pick ride return times in the morning that will become available in >1 hour for 2-3 rides. Then (assuming you park hop) you start picking up rides in park 2 starting with the most popular for an mid afternoon time, then 90 mins later do the next popular one, etc. I could use this strategy to fully FP most of DCA when starting in DL.*

*(I would use SRL for RSR, and on busy holiday Saturdays did sometimes fail to get TSMM, but that was rare. Usually I would walk into DCA with TSMM, GotG, Soarin, around 12-1 and book Incridicoaster and GRR FPs while there and in the next 4 hours do all those rides plus Monsters, Mermaid, and a Cars spinner.)

cslafferty

I don’t really see what’s so complicated about it. You go to the park, you pull up the genie+ app, genie+ tells you what rides to go on in the lightning lane right now (or at a given time within the hour or so), you go on that ride/attraction. Then repeat the process through the day.
Right. But the most popular tier 2s are going to book up fast, which will leave you with the least popular ones being available - the ones that you can pretty much walk on anyway, unless it’s a super busy time of the year. So you could end up paying $15 per ticket to use LL for attractions that have relatively short standby lines. “The 1st available time for ToT isn’t until 7pm, but you can use the LL right now for MuppetVision!”

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Because I'm feeling particularly moody this morning Can I just say that everything about Genie sucks and... and even the logo it's terrible!
Seriously. It's asymmetrical yet unbalanced, the colors are too matchy-matchy but still somehow "off", They didn't realize or don't fully understand if the swirl in Genie's beard is supposed to be the tittle over the "i" in Genie or not. And the scale of the type elements are all wrong. All in all it's just a crappy logo for a crappy service.

Oh and for what it's worth, WDWmagic wore it better!

Last edited:

Waters Back Side

Right. But the most popular tier 2s are going to book up fast, which will leave you with the least popular ones being available - the ones that you can pretty much walk on anyway, unless it’s a super busy time of the year. So you could end up paying $15 per ticket to use LL for attractions that have relatively short standby lines. “The 1st available time for ToT isn’t until 7pm, but you can use the LL right now for MuppetVision!”

Well if your first preferred ride is not available until 7pm that I'd imagine is different. You choose it and wait until after the park opens 90 minutes or whatever time they allow to book the next ride which is technically your first one you ride. The big issue is the first one you pick being too early and then becomes unavailable fornthe rest of the day so you lost out.

Patcheslee

With only holding 1 at time I don't think it will be bad. The only people it will be bad for is those that sleep in and go into the parks at noon.
Wouldn't that be alot of people considering crowds get worse as the day goes on though? Maybe that's part of Disneys idea of crowd flow/control. Influence people to come at a time they normally wouldn't.

Jrb1979

I'm not so sure you will be able to book a LL for late in the day that early.

Waters Back Side

I'm not so sure you will be able to book a LL for late in the day that early.

Resorts guests get to book and purchase LL IAS ride at 7am before the general public. Non resort guests can purchase once the park opens. And also pick a time if available and if you are on at 7pm I'd think pretty scattered times are available with less people booking even if it's all resort guests. Other then having to pay a steep price I'm not worried about getting on FOP or Slinky etc because of this. You have an advantage and are paying a lot for that advantage.

Genie + rides its 7am for all guests and next available time slot.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom