Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Then why is the Mayor asking people to limit washing cars, using pressure washers, and watering lawns?

See here -

Announcement happening from Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer asking residents to conserve water due to high usage of Liquid Oxygen at local hospitals -

"Long before hospitals were using liquid oxygen to help save the lives of COVID-19 patients, Orlando Utilities Commission has relied on the substance to help purify and clean its water.

Liquid oxygen is now in short supply due to a record number of hospitalized COVID-19 patients, and OUC said its supply is running low. That forced the utility company on Friday to call on its water customers to cut back on their water usage immediately.

OUC provides water service to Orlando residents as well as residents in unincorporated Orange County.

Company officials said irrigation accounts for about 40% of its consumption and they need to reduce that in the coming days to help conserve its liquid oxygen supply. The first step in doing so is asking water customers to stop watering their lawns.

Liquid oxygen removes hydrogen sulfide, a colorless gas, from the water. The gas, if not removed, gives the water a strong rotten egg smell.

The utility company said it has a lower than normal supply of liquid oxygen because it is also being used to help treat COVID-19 patients at local hospitals.

Doctors have found that using liquid oxygen helps better treat patients trying to fight the virus.

The record-high surge in COVID-19 patients in local hospitals has led to an increase in the use of liquid oxygen, leading to the shortage at OUC."

disneygeek90

I am sorry for your situation. If you are that upset and worried, maybe you should pull your kid from school. If you consider the risk to be too great and dangerous for your child, time to rethink sending him/her.
Unfortunately I don't think many schools in Florida are offering virtual education from their actual school. You'd have to go through the standard "online" FL virtual school which is just general for the entire state. It's not very realistic to ask parents and kids to switch to that permanently.

There should have been more in place for this school year, and the state should have been more accommodating given the current environment. It's really unfair to suggest parents just remove their kid from their school when there's really no other option.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Unfortunately I don't think many schools in Florida are offering virtual education from their actual school. You'd have to go through the standard "online" FL virtual school which is just general for the entire state. It's not very realistic to ask parents and kids to switch to that permanently.

There should have been more in place for this school year, and the state should have been more accommodating given the current environment. It's really unfair to suggest parents just remove their kid from their school when there's really no other option.
I only threw that out there because if I was as worried as the poster seems to be, I would work like heck to make other arrangements. That’s all.

Virtual Toad

I am sorry for your situation. If you are that upset and worried, maybe you should pull your kid from school. If you consider the risk to be too great and dangerous for your child, time to rethink sending him/her.
We’ve had that conversation (and continue to do so) but the virtual options for gifted and specialized program students are limited. I have a high school junior who is halfway through a specialized college-prep program that is not offered online. So we are stuck between pulling them at the risk of shortchanging their education or keeping them in a tense and untenable situation. Seriously open to suggestions at this point.

Virtual Toad

Correct, there is no “live via zoom” or virtual from your school option offered this year. The state did not provide funding.

DisneyDebRob

We’ve had that conversation (and continue to do so) but the virtual options for gifted and specialized program students are limited. I have a high school junior who is halfway through a specialized college-prep program that is not offered online. So we are stuck between pulling them at the risk of shortchanging their education or keeping them in a tense and untenable situation. Seriously open to suggestions at this point.
It’s really sad that there’s no options because of the limitations that are being made in the school systems. There should still be virtual for those that want it. For those that don’t, they can send their kids to school. It’s not like the pandemic isn’t still raging.. there should be options instead of the stranglehold the leaders are putting o everyone.

Virtual Toad

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here is the weekly report from the Florida DOH (data published 5:23pm).

The number of new deaths reported from last report to this report is 1,486.

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 5.26.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 5.26.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 5.27.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 5.27.15 PM.png

Animaniac93-98

Timmay

Well, theirs is due to lack of water from droughts, right? This is because of liquid oxygen - which I won't even pretend to know what that actually means. :D
For hospitals, oxygen is stored in liquid form in tanks on-site. The liquid oxygen is pushed through a system that coverts it back to a gas and then is distributed throughout the hospital. Oxygen use for an entire hospital is measured in inches from the tanks, and only so many inches can be used a day due to many factors, usually dependent on the volume of the gas system. Hospitals receive their liquid oxygen from a medical gas vendor. I’m assuming water treatment facilities that use liquid O2 to help purify water get it from the same source.

Don’t know if that’s helpful or not.

JoeCamel

So 20,500 cases per day in Japan. Which is what Florida has been hitting lately. Population Florida: 21.5 million. Population Japan: 126.3 million.

5.8x Population, similar case loads.

What was the point of this?
You know what the point is, the same passive aggressive posting of irrelevant charts trying to advance a personal agenda. A helpful comparison would be percentage vaccinated vs the spike and other countries that are doing better but that wouldn't push the "masks are useless don't do anything to fight" agenda as it would show vaccines work

StarWarsGirl

So I did something today...I'm torn between it being smart and stupid.

As some of you know, I had an anaphylactic reaction to a vaccine in the past. My doctor told me to get the covid vaccine at a hospital and that I could only get Moderna. I live in Baltimore, where we don't exactly have a shortage of hospitals, and I haven't been able to get an appointment and it's been MONTHS. Even my doctor's office was like, no we can't do it here.

So I went to Walgreens today and kind of fudged my medical history. I told them that my doctor said Moderna was fine (he did) and that I've had flu shots successfully (I have) and they gave it to me, and now I'm sitting at home with a bunch of Benadryl and my epi pen nearby just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom