News Expose reveals WDC control in online fan community

scottieRoss

I am really confused by the hatred for Genie and Genie+. Other than people not wanting to personally pay for it. The biggest complaints boil down to it is not very Disney.
But Disney pioneered the "Pay to get in the gates" then pay for each attraction and some would cost way more than others model. Other park operators in 1955 thought Walt was crazy to charge people to get into his little park.
Then Disney introduced all of the upcharge activities at Walt Disney World in 1971. Free waterski show on the lagoon, but pay extra so you can have a seat. Close the park at sunset, so you can charge people to ride a boat around the lagoon and Bay Lake while you spend money on cocktails. Or you can pay to go to a Dinner Show at the Top of the World or Luau Cove.
Want to get around the World, pay for transportation to WED for the monorail, bus, ferry or trains. "
Not staying on property, then don't get on a bus, you had to show your resort ID card for a quick jaunt to Fort Wilderness to ride the ponys (pony or horse rides are an additional charge) This is the exact business model that Uncle Walt and Uncle Roy designed for vacation.

bcoachable

I am really confused by the hatred for Genie and Genie+. Other than people not wanting to personally pay for it. The biggest complaints boil down to it is not very Disney.
But Disney pioneered the "Pay to get in the gates" then pay for each attraction and some would cost way more than others model. Other park operators in 1955 thought Walt was crazy to charge people to get into his little park.
Then Disney introduced all of the upcharge activities at Walt Disney World in 1971. Free waterski show on the lagoon, but pay extra so you can have a seat. Close the park at sunset, so you can charge people to ride a boat around the lagoon and Bay Lake while you spend money on cocktails. Or you can pay to go to a Dinner Show at the Top of the World or Luau Cove.
Want to get around the World, pay for transportation to WED for the monorail, bus, ferry or trains. "
Not staying on property, then don't get on a bus, you had to show your resort ID card for a quick jaunt to Fort Wilderness to ride the ponys (pony or horse rides are an additional charge) This is the exact business model that Uncle Walt and Uncle Roy designed for vacation.
For clarity purposes… which Bob are you?
JKJK

peter11435

And yet they went ahead with it anyways.

This whole thing says a lot about what the executives and BoD think of Disney's guests.
Not exactly. They knew there is a vocal community that would react negatively to this news. They also know that the majority of their guests including a substantial percentage of that vocal community will still pay for the service. Further they know that a large number of guests expect to pay for services like this.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
…the dumb one 👍🏻
the adventures of pete and pete episode 3 GIF

mikejs78

Premium Member
Not exactly. They knew there is a vocal community that would react negatively to this news. They also know that the majority of their guests including a substantial percentage of that vocal community will still pay for the service. Further they know that a large number of guests expect to pay for services like this.
I actually don't object to the Genie+ Maxpass-like service. It's the pay per rides that I object to. I'd pay $25 a day just to have MaxPass with all the attractions.

UNCgolf

I think the backlash to this goes far beyond the normal vocal community (the one where they'd expect a backlash, that is). It seems like even the people who are normally fully supportive of Disney are angered by this move. With the caveat that I think social media is generally a terrible way to judge overall reaction, my understanding is that their current social media response is overwhelmingly negative when it is typically full of positive support, even for decisions that are unpopular on forums like this.

They're likely correct that those people are still going to go anyways, though. I think they believe their guests are idiots and/or addicts -- unfortunately they're probably right, at least about enough of them to make this a good move for the business (at least in the short-term).

I'm mainly talking about the individual attraction payments, by the way.

UNCgolf

Why the heck is there a Genie+ discussion in this thread?

Good question. I didn't even notice what thread this was.

I have an answer to the question, though. Genie is obviously a way for Disney to further their reach into controlling the fan community by installing software on your smartphone that lets them post great reviews and positive comments all over the Internet.

rio

I actually don't object to the Genie+ Maxpass-like service. It's the pay per rides that I object to. I'd pay $25 a day just to have MaxPass with all the attractions.
For me it’s Disney implementing a lottery system to ride new or low capacity attractions, and then having genie as a bypass. Otherwise this isn’t a terrible system.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom