Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

UNCgolf

Thinking about the coming slate, I don't think there's much risk of that.

MK: Tron will be all-consuming on a scale similar to Rise of the Resistance. Mine Train will be a distant second and everything else will be far behind either of those.

Epcot: Ditto the above, but for Guardians and Rat.

Studios: Rise of the Resistance stands alone. I could see some back and forth between Slinky and Falcon for the #2 slot.

Animal Kingdom: Not much going on at the top of the card besides Flight of Passage. I'd think they're more likely to go to 1 paid than 3.

I don't think that will happen with TRON (or Rat). There will be a short term period where it's super busy when they first open, then people will realize they aren't especially great rides. Neither of them are remotely close to being on the level of Rise. Guardians is more likely to end up like Rise, though -- I don't think it will be anywhere near as impressive as Rise (hard for a coaster to be), but the IP will give it a big boost too.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
What? No! That discussion you're seeing is human interaction, which is one of the main things you want out of a visit. It's also improvisation, adaptability, and figuring out what you FEEL like doing.

Honestly, what you said is nuts. You seem to think the point of a theme park visit is to march from ride to ride on a preprogrammed path like mindless automata, your only goal to maximize the number of attractions you see. That vision of the guest experience, held by execs, is precisely why WDW has declined so sharply over the last decade.
I loved the pre-planning parts of a trip because I did them with my family. I got the same human interaction you're talking about in advance of the trip, while getting the most out of my in-park time.

I'm not giving up the family interaction part, I'm just shifting it forward in the timeline so I can do it outside of a theme park that has a limited number of operating hours each day.

hopemax

Thinking about the coming slate, I don't think there's much risk of that.

MK: Tron will be all-consuming on a scale similar to Rise of the Resistance. Mine Train will be a distant second and everything else will be far behind either of those.

Epcot: Ditto the above, but for Guardians and Rat.

Studios: Rise of the Resistance stands alone. I could see some back and forth between Slinky and Falcon for the #2 slot.

Animal Kingdom: Not much going on at the top of the card besides Flight of Passage. I'd think they're more likely to go to 1 paid than 3.
With FP+, over the progression of 6 years it got to the point where I couldn't book BTMRR, Splash, and when Jungle Cruise was Jingle Cruise when our 7 day FP+ booking window opened. Kilimanjaro Safaris was another one, but that looks like might be headed to LL+

I don't think people who booked at 30 or 60 days knew that availability was getting that bad as uptake on FP+ increased. So I can see those selling out, certain times of the year by noon. Unfortunately.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I don't think that will happen with TRON (or Rat). There will be a short term period where it's super busy when they first open, then people will realize they aren't especially great rides. Neither of them are remotely close to being on the level of Rise. Guardians is more likely to end up like Rise, though.
Mine Train blows and it still draws 90 minutes.

Disney fans are all about the New Hotness, even if it's not all that new or hot.

cookiee_munster

I'm not totally au fait with this disney genie app and all the things it can do. I've watched the offhanddisney video on youtube explaining things.

The idea of booking reservations for food or rides 60 days in advance just blows my mind. I don't even know what i want to eat the next day, never mind in 30-60 days time.

I think like a lot of people have mentioned already. The problem here is the lack of attractions to cater for everyone in the park. The parks seriously need to start looking at opening a new attraction at least once a year, even if it's just some filler flat ride or some kind of show. Whatever it is, they need to be people eaters making sure ride throughput is high.

No one wants to stand in line for almost 2-3hrs to ride something, that's ludicrous. And I get it, that's why this app exists now, so you don't have to, and you can come back at a scheduled time. But honestly, when it comes down to it, it really is about the lack of rides/attractions at the park.

I don't know about you but the idea of having to use my mobile phone for everything while I'm there makes me want to run for the hills!

IanDLBZF

Apparently a lot of negative reactions to yesterday's announcement made it to YouTube, and now I'm surprised no one has called for demonstrations, or even protests, yet.
But calls for boycotts, however, have circulated on Twitter.

UNCgolf

Mine Train blows and it still draws 90 minutes.

Disney fans are all about the New Hotness, even if it's not all that new or hot.

Small kids can ride Mine Train, though, and it has some Snow White show scenes (not nearly enough, but they're there). I think that's a big part of it (the low height restriction moreso than the show scenes).

That will be true for Rat too (I assume) but TRON will be restricted to older kids.

Kirby86

The lightning passes seem to have the most value for Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. I can see them trying to use this app to say hey the Rides in Epcot don't have a long wait why not go there? To try to control capacity. Animal kingdom if your there on the morning you can get Everest and Avatar done relatively quickly using Standby lines.

IanDLBZF

The lightning passes seem to have the most value for Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. I can see them trying to use this app to say hey the Rides in Epcot don't have a long wait why not go there? To try to control capacity. Animal kingdom if your there on the morning you can get Everest and Avatar done relatively quickly using Standby lines.
Or Single Rider for Everest.

seabreezept813

Sounds like both. You'll be able to add length of stay at the time of booking or individual days day-of.
Thanks! Wish I could book it for individual in advance. I like the pre-planning.
Or Single Rider for Everest.
Even Magic Kingdom. Rope drop Mine Train then do Space. The rest of the rides you won’t be waiting forever in so even taking an hour or two to do so would be the most you’ll wait that day (assuming Genie+ works)

JusticeDisney

They are basically going back to the old system which needed considerably less planning, the only thing is you now have to pay for it, which is obviously a bummer for many (despite being expected for... years).

So despite the extra cost, this is a far more preferable system over the FP+ era.

I have a feeling even if you don't wake up at 7am... you'll be fine to get many LL passes throughout your day at the parks.
I was wondering that exact thing. If someone doesn’t get up exactly at 7am, will they still get some decent LL passes? I hope that you’re right bout that, and I suspect that you are.

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
Maybe LL could end up being a little longer of a wait than what you had with FP? And yes, I know FP didn't mean you didn't wait.
That's going to cause problems. Because FP+ was free, and you're paying for this. Especially for the Individual Attractions. Speaking as someone who generally doesn't hate this at all, if I'm paying for what was free, I expect to wait less, not more.

*Edited for typo - "wait" not "way"

Last edited:

Waters Back Side

Sounds like both. You'll be able to add length of stay at the time of booking or individual days day-of.

I wonder when you can buy it day of? It would have to be before 7am if you plan to select your first ride with genie +. Which means you might have to wake up earlier if you do it day of.

Some days I might not need it like my arrival and departure day so buying it in advance might not make sense cost wise.

Disney Analyst

I was wondering that exact thing. If someone doesn’t get up exactly at 7am, will they still get some decent LL passes? I hope that you’re right bout that, and I suspect that you are.

They should, it should just roll throughout the day. Some attractions will sell out of passes, as they did on the legacy system, but I feel that is normally by mid-morning/early afternoon. Hard to know how it will work with the 7am start.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom