Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

flynnibus

Premium Member
I can’t help but feel it was in many ways a reaction to the negative press they got when Frozen Ever After first launched.

Long lines for big new attractions is good PR... it shows 'popularity' and interest.. it drives traffic.

What it is not good for is park operations and costs - that's the real reason alternatives were done.

donsullivan

Premium Member
But where will the purchase of the paid lightning lane for Rise take place? Surely not a kiosk! It’s going to happen in an app. Are you saying it’s going to happen in regular “complimentary“ genie? I’m pretty darn sure it will happen in genie+.
It will likely be right inside the MDE app just like you pay for Mobile Order food now. The infrastructure is already there to support that.

Chi84

Premium Member
But where will the purchase of the paid lightning lane for Rise take place? Surely not a kiosk! It’s going to happen in an app. Are you saying it’s going to happen in regular “complimentary“ genie? I’m pretty darn sure it will happen in genie+.
I thought Disney already said you can purchase the rides without also purchasing Genie +.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Huh? In the app they give you a button to buy the LL option. It will be available to all MDE/Genie users.

Tjaden

Its a good question.

With Rise of the Resistance, they were concerned that a standby queue would overwhelm the park with the line extending far beyond the area. There was also the question of how long after park close it would take to clear the line, and what would happen with the frequent breakdowns and how they would handle the queue in that scenario. The boarding groups allow them to control those issues much more reliably.
There are a ton of queues going out of their area right now. I'd wager the main factor is that if you are in a 5hr line then you aren't out there buying food and merch.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm pretty darn sure you're wrong.

Have you read WDWMagic's FAQ yet?

15. Do I have to buy Genie+ before I can make an Individual Attraction Purchase?​

No. Individual Attraction purchases can be made via Disney Genie without needing the Genie+ add-on.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!

drew81

Agreed. And in terms of meet and greets, I'm thinking of the potential for premium M&G experiences at Town Square Theater, Adventurers Outpost etc. Seems a no-brainer from Disney's side.
Studios location with Minnie and Sorcerer Mickey, Anna and Elsa at Epcot, Princesses at Magic Kingdom etc.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Okay, thanks for the answers. How much of my Disney experience is getting replaced with genie?
Almost anything that has to do with reservations (rides, food, etc...) will likely be available under regular Genie (no plus). It's possible you'll still be able to do some reservations in MDE.

Think of Genie as a "wizard" or AI that helps you manage all your park plans and reservations. It's an overlay to MDE without taking it over.

tpoly88

They will have to severely limit the number that people can get one to justify a "lightning lane" designation. I don't see anyway they can give out as many of these as they used to with FP+.
i did not read every response so sorry if this was answered before; if i get a LL return at 11am and at 1015am i see the line is short and i go on the ride, do i still have my LL pass to ride again or will they know i went on and cancel the LL pass? i know that is something we did with the paper fast passes. youd ride after your time and go right back on again.

britain

I'm pretty darn sure you're wrong.

Have you read WDWMagic's FAQ yet?

15. Do I have to buy Genie+ before I can make an Individual Attraction Purchase?​

No. Individual Attraction purchases can be made via Disney Genie without needing the Genie+ add-on.

lol, thanks

OK , so nice to know that the $30-40-50-whatever Lightning Lane pass for Rise won’t require the initial $15 for the “privilege“ to buy.

This will still so confusing for a dad standing outside of Rise, with antsy kids, And he decides to purchase genie plus thinking that that has provided him with a way to get them into Rise.

It’s almost as if Disney said “Our reputation is that we make it hard for you to enjoy the park without us milking you for all your money. It’s time we lean into that reputation instead of overcoming it.”

James Alucobond

I was thinking that they didn't want to have similar optics as Hagrids when it first opened. I think the standby there got up to 8 hours at some points? Or am I completely misremembering.
I just remember not even following WDW much at the time and hearing about the massive waits for Frozen where the ride sometimes broke down and they had to distribute ice cream to folks in line to keep them from both dying and revolting.

jpinkc

The aggregate benefit of FastPass was that it pushed people towards attractions that might otherwise run partially empty. If Genie is effective in that regard, it should help overall wait times. This should be true of Genie's "smart itinerary" feature, regardless of G+/LL.
I think those days are long gone. I have seen Teacups with 60 Wait Times posted. The crowd levels have gotten so Massive this will never work. This is again all Disneys fault for not Reinvesting in the Parks. Especially WDW where they have the space!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom