Marvel Studios Developing Asian Superhero Film ‘Shang-Chi’

NateD1226

Original Poster
New poster:

1628521737214.png

MarvelCharacterNerd

As much as I was hoping for Premiere Access day and date for this (and frankly, all future movies), in today's earnings call, Bob Chapek confirmed they can't change the release strategy due to agreements already in place for it, so it will be an experiment in the 45-day window.

I personally have no desire to ever return to a movie theater again, so I guess I'll be stuck with trying to avoid spoilers as best I can for 45 days till it hits Disney+... Bummer... :/

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

This movie has BOX OFFICE BOMB written all over it. Poor man's Dr. Strange, which didn't even do that well itself. Now we are getting into that stupid part of marvel with C level heroes with no costumes or masks or even code names. Yawwwwn

Jedijax719

This movie has BOX OFFICE BOMB written all over it. Poor man's Dr. Strange, which didn't even do that well itself. Now we are getting into that stupid part of marvel with C level heroes with no costumes or masks or even code names. Yawwwwn
Thing is, "bomb" has such different connotations nowadays. Pretty much everything is a relative bomb, considering what they would have done outside COVID world. Even BW is somewhat of a bomb after its opening weekend.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Since you presume you won't like it, you assume no one else will.

Please stop mind controlling me.

G00fyDad

Ever since Tony stood at that podium and said "I am Ironman." the idea of anonymity has kind of gone out the window. Personally I do not mind.

Jedijax719

I presume nothing because I am not going to see it because the trailers looked like formulaic crap we have already seen in the MCU too many times.
Let's be honest. Most, if not all, content Disney puts out or any fantasy genre film for that matter, is somewhat formulaic. People like that. They all have their own slants and twists on it. It's part of the hero journey that people enjoy. It has been a proven success in many cases, especially with the more popular franchises (like MCU, Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc.).

While Shang-Chi may not have ever been the top tier hit like Black Panther or the Avengers films, it likely would have made near or over $200 million domestic if not for COVID-19. If it only makes around $100 million, the fault would probably not be on the movie itself at this point. If COVID was subsiding then maybe yes. But since it isn't, we are at a bad place again for movies in the theater.

DanielBB8

Shang Chi will be the Number 1 movie and still be a flop in the box office. That’s because they overspent at $150 million.

Projected to earn $35 to 55 million on opening. The movie needs to earn $500 million between box office and Disney+. Even Black Widow ($362M) didn’t achieve this, but F9 ($663M) did. Black Widow needs to earn over $600 with $200+M budget.

Disney needs to get these movies made under $100 million.

All Marvel movies remain banned in China.

LovePop

The fact that China is effectively banning the Shang Chi movie won't help its numbers no matter how this experiment ends.

The Jungle Cruise opened at 34 million domestic box office. If Shang Chi opens at 35 million or more, as experts predict, I would call it a success, but I am expecting it to do worse, more like under 20 million.

My reasons:

1. Jungle Cruise has big name lead actors, as does Black Widow. Shang Chi has a no-name foreign lead actor.
2. Marvel movies are all superhero movies. Shang Chi appears to be a kungfu movie, which enjoys a much smaller following in the US. In the last 10 years, I know of numerous big superhero movies. I know no big kungfu movie.
3. Based on its trailer, Shang Chi's story revolves around his excessively demanding father, which is a tired Asian stereotype that very likely offended the Chinese censureship bureau and is the main reason the movie got banned there. Such a storyline can't be exciting to US viewers who are culturally removed from such parenting styles.
4. Other Marvel movies are based on well-known characters like Spiderman. Shang-Chi is virtually unknown.

If I turn out to be wrong, and Shang Chi ends up opening at over 35 million or even 60 million, then Disney/Marvel will know that there was no need to hire ScarJo to be Black Widow and pay so much. They could have gotten away with some no name actor and the movie would have done no worse. Then in the future, Disney might want to consider going that route to save money on movies or TV shows.

I agree with Bob Chapek: Shang Chi is an experiment. I am waiting eagerly to see how this movie works out in the box office.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom