News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Kirby86

Anyone remember (or know) if the human characters in the movie are able to understand the bayou critters or vice versa? Was that ever established?
As far as I remember non magical humans could only understand Tiana and the Prince in their frog forms. The other animals weren't able to talk to the humans. Now magical characters like Mama Odie were able to talk to the Louis the alligator and Ray.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Kate F

Attachments

• 897512D8-F483-4431-AB50-BE0089A6F9C5.png
    897512D8-F483-4431-AB50-BE0089A6F9C5.png
    166.9 KB · Views: 266

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
A lot of typical Disney PR mumbo jumbo with little substance. A ride about the story about someone leaving home because he thought the grass was greener on the other side but he soon realized it wasn’t? Not sure how that’s racist. But then again, I have a seemingly rare ability to enjoy the ride without trying to find things to be offended about.

FantasiaMickey2000

Magic Kingdom Vice President Melissa Valiquette comments on the progress being made on the reimagining of Splash Mountain at Walt Disney World​

So would the correct interpretation of her comments be we won’t see the attraction closed until at least 2023?

Kate F

The overwhelming majority of the GP and diehards alike would tell you Rise, Mystic Manor, Radiator Springs Racers, and Shanghai PotC are standout experiences.

There are many others you can debate about, but those are all attractions from the last decade.
Haven’t ridden any of the above so can’t say. Could have ridden Rise if it weren’t for the Boarding Group system. Now limit yourself to the American parks. I will throw out Flight of Passage as an example. I don’t think much else new in the American parks can compete with the classics.

But that wasn’t the main point of my Tweet anyway.

UNCgolf

The overwhelming majority of the GP and diehards alike would tell you Rise, Mystic Manor, Radiator Springs Racers, and Shanghai PotC are standout experiences.

There are many others you can debate about, but those are all attractions from the last decade.

The first three all look great; Shanghai PotC looks meh. Certainly not bad, but not even close to the Disneyland or even WDW versions and not anything spectacular.

lightningtap347

Haven’t ridden any of the above so can’t say.
The problem here is that your tweet is saying that.

There are plenty of reasons to be reluctant about the changes they are making, and you can use Frozen and other reasons as examples. However, saying Imagineers haven't created anything up to par within the last decade is strange, especially when you haven't ridden the quality offerings they have created!

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
This is one of the rare instances where Disney is at least acknowledging that not all guests are happy with the announced retheme and for those guests to have faith in the process and eventual outcome. Lot riding on this one. Good thing they realize that.

That said, after reading the PR blurb I'm even more convinced that this entire overlay concept was born just months ago. They got nothing.

UNCgolf

The Shanghai POTC is mind-blowing in person... The show scenes are massive...The overall attraction is quite impressive. Don't let the videos fool you...It is a real hit!

Too much stopping and watching movies on a screen. They're nicely incorporated into the attraction, especially compared to some other efforts, but they're still far too integral to work well for me. I never really feel immersed when I'm watching something happen on a screen in front of me.

I'm perfectly content being in the minority there, though -- screens are great for a lot of people.

Kate F

The problem here is that your tweet is saying that.

There are plenty of reasons to be reluctant about the changes they are making, and you can use Frozen and other reasons as examples. However, saying Imagineers haven't created anything up to par within the last decade is strange, especially when you haven't ridden the quality offerings they have created!
I didn’t say they haven’t created anything up to par, I said they haven’t created that many new attractions that are true standouts in recent years. How many of your top 10 Disney attractions are from the last decade?

I’m not even saying this in a “everything new sucks” kind of way, I genuinely just don’t think that Imagineers have the same creative spark and passion that they used to (with some exceptions). And I’m 25.

Last edited:

Bocabear

Too much stopping and watching movies on a screen. They're nicely incorporated into the attraction, especially compared to some other efforts, but they're still far too integral to work well for me. I never really feel immersed when I'm watching something happen on a screen in front of me.
There is no stopping...you never stop moving...and the screens in reality are pretty seamless. RAT stops at screens...POTC does not, and the screens are fully integrated with the practical sets blurring the lines of film and reality.
Again, probably video doesn't do it justice...especially the motion...It is not just forward motion...they are times you are going sideways and backwards...

SplashJacket

Too much stopping and watching movies on a screen.
Not to digress too far from the thread's original purpose. The ride never stops in front of a screen. The boat is always moving. The screens in the ride are, without a doubt, the best example of screens used as a primary element. Rise uses them in the background flawlessly, but As @Bocabear said, the videos don't do it justice. The ride really is mind-blowing in person. Hopefully, you get to experience it one day as it truly is in another realm.

UNCgolf

There is no stopping...you never stop moving...and the screens in reality are pretty seamless. RAT stops at screens...POTC does not, and the screens are fully integrated with the practical sets blurring the lines of film and reality.
Again, probably video doesn't do it justice...especially the motion...It is not just forward motion...they are times you are going sideways and backwards...

Not to digress too far from the thread's original purpose. The ride never stops in front of a screen. The boat is always moving. The screens in the ride are, without a doubt, the best example of screens used as a primary element. Rise uses them in the background flawlessly, but As @Bocabear said, the videos don't do it justice. The ride really is mind-blowing in person. Hopefully, you get to experience it one day as it truly is in another realm.

I'm aware of all that -- I can 100% guarantee you it would not work especially well for me.

As I said, the way the screens are integrated is more impressive than most other rides, but when a lot of primary action is happening on a screen it just doesn't do much for me. I can watch things happen on a screen at home; the motion element is almost irrelevant.

Again, that doesn't make it a bad attraction, and it's great that it blows some people away. Forbidden Journey and Flight of Passage also blow a bunch of people away and neither are on my list of favorite attractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom