News Disney World is Now Limiting Purchases for New Items

wendysue

What would prevent those people from just going store to store and getting the merchandise? I know it would be a hassle, but with help of family, etc. they could still take a lot of stuff.

Ripken10

What would prevent those people from just going store to store and getting the merchandise? I know it would be a hassle, but with help of family, etc. they could still take a lot of stuff.
There is only so much you can do, but it certainly makes it harder, and if it even deters a few people that's a win. It won't eliminate it, but should have an impact. I know a few people that like to collect items, and they have remarked how much more difficult it has gotten due to these people that resell online...at least it is if you refuse to pay the upcharge by those that do this. The number of people that do this seems to have exponentially increased in recent times.

flutas

There is only so much you can do, but it certainly makes it harder, and if it even deters a few people that's a win. It won't eliminate it, but should have an impact. I know a few people that like to collect items, and they have remarked how much more difficult it has gotten due to these people that resell online...at least it is if you refuse to pay the upcharge by those that do this. The number of people that do this seems to have exponentially increased in recent times.

Would be interesting to see Disney flagging APs that are bulk-buying items to sell like they did in DLR.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Would be interesting to see Disney flagging APs that are bulk-buying items to sell like they did in DLR.

I wouldn’t think it would be difficult to do. You have to show your AP to get the discount, modify the process to scan the card and update an attribute(s) on the back end. Anything that helps severely curtail the resellers is welcome at this point.

denyuntilcaught

I paid my way through college working at Abercrombie & Fitch, who similarly had a significant issue with resellers. In addition to a hard limit of number of items sold (I think 10?), every so often when a cashier would swipe the card of a reseller, a screen would pop up on the POS asking the cashier to decline the sale and notify Brand Protection. The process was much more automated then manually enforcing it.

This was ten years ago. I'm floored if Disney's more modern POS systems don't have the ability to do anything remotely similar.

VJ

I paid my way through college working at Abercrombie & Fitch, who similarly had a significant issue with resellers. In addition to a hard limit of number of items sold (I think 10?), every so often when a cashier would swipe the card of a reseller, a screen would pop up on the POS asking the cashier to decline the sale and notify Brand Protection. The process was much more automated then manually enforcing it.

This was ten years ago. I'm floored if Disney's more modern POS systems don't have the ability to do anything remotely similar.
really makes you wonder if disney actually wants to stop resellers or if they just want to pretend like they're doing anything about them

Gillyanne

If they ever tried to use payment method to track limits, I could see using gift cards as a work around to this; especially with Disney gift cards being available at so many different retailers. One could just load up on GCs (and even at a discount if from target, or warehouse store) and go through all those and pitch them when they use up the value. They'd have a different payment number each time.

JoeCamel

I think that's the hope. It used to be the limit was 10 items. Now it's 2.

If Disney would just sell the stuff on ShopDisney, they could solve the whole resale dilemma and increase their own sales…

They have done this many times over the years.

Here is one for Frozen. It comes and goes.

Seems very reasonable to me. Would be nice to see all the time.

really makes you wonder if disney actually wants to stop resellers or if they just want to pretend like they're doing anything about them

If only Disney had some online means of selling parks merchandise…
I've posted before that dis should open offsite bulk sales windows for the resellers. They are only getting the AP discount right? By the time you do packing and shipping they have to sell it for more than Disney can so let them have at it. Resellers stay in the game just not in the parks and dis still makes their obscene markup. More merch for everyone.

OH, @Wrangler-Rick they absolutely should be selling it online for full price, the days of park exclusive merch are waning fast.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom