News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainsOfDisney

So did they change the masks rules to only protect guests from covid in certain places then?

Is it really about safety, the look of safety, or are they trying to straddle the fence
Well you should still have a mask when walking through the restaurant. When you are sitting down to eat you aren’t in a large crowd - you are at a table with your immediate family.

Now restaurants should be doing some distancing I think.

Incomudro

Well you should still have a mask when walking through the restaurant. When you are sitting down to eat you aren’t in a large crowd - you are at a table with your immediate family.

Now restaurants should be doing some distancing I think.
Ok...
So, when sitting at a table with family (maskless) among other families who are maskless... Where does the exhaled and inhaled air from those patrons go?
Does it and the aerosolized droplets possibly containing covid simply fall down around each table?
Isn't it stirred up by passing waitstaff, and customers?
Plus the current of HVAC systems.
Stirring it all around.
It's like trying to keep two liquids separate from each other in the same vessel, when there's a spoon stirring things up.

TrainsOfDisney

Ok...
So, when sitting at a table with family (maskless) among other families who are maskless... Where does the exhaled and inhaled air from those patrons go?
Does it and the aerosolized droplets possibly containing covid simply fall down around each table?
Isn't it stirred up by passing waitstaff, and customers?
Plus the current of HVAC systems.
Stirring it all around.
It's like trying to keep two liquids separate from each other in the same vessel, when there's a spoon stirring things up.
I’m not particularly comfortable dining in restaurants still. There is certainly still a risk depending on the layout of the restaurant. But that risk is certainly lower than a packed attraction waiting area.

crawale

That's one reason why it would be interesting to see the data. It could go a long way towards proving that masks are helpful - or they are not. Hard data from actually real world situations is much more accurate than a test or an opinion. That's why so far I've only posted actual data directly from the CDC. I don't trust media/social media from the left or the right. For me, I am pro-vaccine, anti - mask. However, if data shows that in the time period that Disney went back to indoor masking, their guests have not gotten sick, vs. during the same period Universal guests have gotten sick, I would be a believer.
There is no way that anyone can prove a person got sick from Universal or from Disney. Standing in line at the airport among huge crowds bunched together as we were in June is a possibility. In fact anything is a possibility. When you look at the tiny size of the COVID virus and the mesh of a cloth mask constantly put on and off, constantly touched, hot and sweaty I don't think it reasonable to place your hopes on that. In almost all cases you are not standing next to someone with COVID so it appears anything works.
A question:- Why if the virus spreads like wildfire do the 'elites' feel they don't have to mask when partying and us ordinary folk be rebuked for congregating in much smaller numbers. Is it 'do as I say, not do as I do'? Every time I see a politician - past or present - defying the rules imposed on the rest of us I do question why we follow like sheep yet they either don't care about themselves or their families or, as is more likely the case, there is no need to do many of the things we are told to do.

crawale

I don't understand this comparison and I think you look at the masks in attractions strategy as Disney saying it's 100% safe elsewhere when that's not what they're saying at all. Some safety measures is better than zero safety measures.

At any given time there's what, 100 guests sitting in a restaurant? Compared to a thousand every hour moving through the HM queue? If someone is spreading it in the restaurant, at least they're not spreading it on HM, too.

I know wearing a mask in the outdoor queues really hangs some people up, but that is being done for simplicity sake. Masks on in all queues and on attractions.
'Safety' measures are useless if they don't work.

Jrb1979

That wasn't my point. My point was that many seemed to get vaccinated for the wrong reasons. The biggest one being to not wear a mask

Last edited by a moderator:

crawale

That wasn't my point. My point was that many seemed to get vaccinated for the wrong reasons. The biggest one being to not wear a mask
Alas those folks turned out to be wrong. With the new 'recommendations' mask wearing will continue for eternity.

doctornick

I don't understand this comparison and I think you look at the masks in attractions strategy as Disney saying it's 100% safe elsewhere when that's not what they're saying at all. Some safety measures is better than zero safety measures.

Right. I never really understood people bringing up restaurant protocols as a way to dismiss masks. Obviously, the virus can be transmitted while in a restaurant eating. Is not wearing a mask while seated at a table in a restaurant more risky than (say) not wearing a mask outside or wearing a mask while in a queue for a ride? Absolutely. But there's just no practical way to avoid that because you kind of, y'know, need a mask off to eat. so, it becomes a question of either no indoor restaurants being open or having a situation that is not minimizing risks. I'm under the impression that tables are still spaced apart in WDW, so that's about the only viable mitigation which still allowing food service to operate indoors.

But just because you have to bow to reality when it comes to table service, doesn't mean that you should just ignore potential beneficial measures elsewhere. Wearing masks in queues makes sense as long as there are unvaccinated in the parks. Wearing masks in those situations - which thankfully is also they are when it is most tolerable due to A/C and being out of the sun - makes logical sense. Not doing so because of how dining runs is the epitome of "perfect is the enemy of good" - do what we can to lessen risks when possible even if it isn't perfect.

pdude81

So how many kids were sick? How many kids had really serious disease? All my grandsons tested positive so were 'cases'. However none of them were sick and now they have natural immunity which is more powerful and lasts longer than the vaccine. None of them were vaccinated either.
Why do you think natural infection would have a more powerful response than vaccination? There are not a lot of studies on this, but the few that do show the opposite AFAIK

correcaminos

Why do you think natural infection would have a more powerful response than vaccination? There are not a lot of studies on this, but the few that do show the opposite AFAIK

I still am okay with a recent infection being treated kind of the same as vaccinated for mask purposes but not sure how long of a time I'd be comfortable with. I still think covid+ who can should be vaccinated.

I am still far more comfortable with being around vaccinated unmasked than unvaccinated. I will be working with some 6th grade students who cannot be vaccinated. As a 3 dosed vaccinated person as a part of Pfizer-BioNTech studies I still feel safer masking around them.

Heelz2315

What's the rolling positivity rate for Orange Co Fl? And how long did it have to go before Dennings was Ok dropping the maks the first time? Reason I ask is I don't believe the CDC will issue any further guidance. I think it'll be left up to regional authority.

Just trying to figure out if/when things improve in Fl will Disney walk the masks back indoors and what conditions that generate that response will look like.

celluloid

What's the rolling positivity rate for Orange Co Fl? And how long did it have to go before Dennings was Ok dropping the maks the first time? Reason I ask is I don't believe the CDC will issue any further guidance. I think it'll be left up to regional authority.

Just trying to figure out if/when things improve in Fl will Disney walk the masks back indoors and what conditions that generate that response will look like.

I think this is different as masks are not required, but suggested indoors. Only WDW is mandating face coverings in queues and buildings. The businesses are making their own call, so that is why I think tis will be different and more akin to what you say unless things get even worse.

DCBaker

Premium Member

As of yesterday, the 14-day rolling positivity rate is 19.72% for Orange County. Demings waited until it was under 5%.

Heelz2315

I think this is different as masks are not required, but suggested indoors. Only WDW is mandating face coverings in queues and buildings. The businesses are making their own call, so that is why I think tis will be different and more akin to what you say unless things get even worse.

I am more or less interested in when Disney will drop theirs and what the circumstances would be around when they will do that. I've moved/cancelled three trips since last year trying to go when I don't have to deal with Covid/wear a mask anywhere.

TrainsOfDisney

I am more or less interested in when Disney will drop theirs and what the circumstances would be around when they will do that. I've moved/cancelled three trips since last year trying to go when I don't have to deal with Covid/wear a mask anywhere.
Unless things change for the better, masks will still be required on transportation. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom