News Disneyland Magic Key Program (all pass types will be available to purchase beginning March 5, 2024)

Californian Elitist

We used to go weekly for date night. Drinks/dinner at Hearthstone/Storytellers/Napa Rose, etc. followed by a walk around one of the parks. We rarely rode anything - maybe 1 ride a month. We'd always go in the stores and almost always find something to buy (hello Pandora) and then we would always hit one of the candy stores on the way out. I know there were APs who spent nothing but some of us spent quite a bit.
Plenty of us ate at the parks. The belief that APs were cheap folks who brought in cups of water and never ate meals at the parks is just false. Some of us went to the parks specifically to eat and then headed out.

CaptinEO

Plenty of us ate at the parks. The belief that APs were cheap folks who brought in cups of water and never ate meals at the parks is just false. Some of us went to the parks specifically to eat and then headed out.
People act like all APs are cheap which is really funny since at least the high end ones are very expensive and require a lot of purchases to make it worthwhile.

SoCalDisneyLover

I rarely bought merch when I went, but I almost always bought food and drink. If Disney feels that someone like me is not helping their bottom line, because I'm not buying an $80 Spirit Jersey or $30 Ears, then I guess they won't miss me that much. It's one thing for me to overpay for food/drink when I'm hungry/thirsty, but it's another to expect me to pay $20 for a $2 souvenir that I don't need nor want.

CaptinEO

I rarely bought merch when I went, but I almost always bought food and drink. If Disney feels that someone like me is not helping their bottom line, because I'm not buying an $80 Spirit Jersey or $30 Ears, then I guess they won't miss me that much. It's one thing for me to overpay for food/drink when I'm hungry/thirsty, but it's another to expect me to pay $20 for a $2 souvenir that I don't need nor want.
The whole concept that you have to drop a ton on merch and food to be a "real fan" or justify your AP is rediculous.

The only people to blame for Disneyland being overly crowded is Disney management.

We always like sit down meals in the parks, but if someone wants to bring in food, more power to them.

Californian Elitist

People act like all APs are cheap which is really funny since at least the high end ones are very expensive and require a lot of purchases to make it worthwhile.
Exactly. A cheap Disneyland-goer is most likely not going to pay for an annual pass at all.

I can bet a lot of those sporting the various ears and other merch at the parks were annual passholders. Before the cancellation of the program, there were, and I guess still are, groups of annual passholders who were foodies and mainly used their passes to eat.

mickEblu

I think all the APs provided great value but the thing is how many times would one really go if they didn’t have an AP? The AP created demand that wasn’t really there. Now they te trying to bank on that demand that they created artificially will still be there without the thing that created it. Or maybe not. This new “membership program” could very well be a rebranded “annual pass” program.

SplashGhost

Even if I was just in the park for a few hours, I often at least got a snack, which would cost 10 dollars considering the price of the drink as well. I probably very rarely spent no money in the park when I went as an AP, and I would consider myself a low maintenance AP as I never complained about anything to the employees.

CaptinEO

I think all the APs provided great value but the thing is how many times would one really go if they didn’t have an AP? The AP created demand that wasn’t really there. Now they te trying to bank on that demand that they created artificially will still be there without the thing that created it. Or maybe not. This new “membership program” could very well be a rebranded “annual pass” program.
Very good point. They most likely want to introduce some more demand and this program is their way to do so.

TP2000

Did anyone else not get this email?

I got it, for what it was worth. But about my only thought on this new program was "Ooh, I like that font." It's very 1978-1982, and reminds me of my old Magic Kingdom Club card.

Whoever chose that font and overall graphic design deserves a Starbucks run from his/her boss.

Other than that, I'm happy to just let this play out and see what I may, or may not, do with it later this year. But seriously, great choice on that font! :D

Magic-Key-16X9.jpg

mikenatcity1

But the person who pops in just for Churros or say dinner costs Disney virtually nothing and is almost.pure profit.
This is me and my friend's group. If we were able to enter when we wanted, we would go for dinner regularly and spend more money on food. Instead we are going to other places we don't like as much. Heck- we now have a Universal Platinum AP because why not...gives me something to do.

Oh- and I live about a mile from Disneyland, so popping in to buy things and eat is a regular occurrence...well, used to be!

Mouse Trap

Oooh latest rumor is even better tbh.

Disney said they wanted to give us more flexibility... well they're giving it to us! The catch? Pay. Pay. Pay. Pay. Pay.

• Parking is an additional charge (no pass "includes parking" it must be added on)
  • PhotoPass is an additional charge
  • Fastpass is an additional charge

Other details:
  • Multiple tiers
  • Advanced reservations required
  • No unlimited tier
  • Blackout dates
  • The more you pay, the more advanced reservations you can make in a 30-day window
  • No monthly payments
  • Discounts will increase for the higher tiers
The only part I'm not buying is the lowest tier will be around $700 -- I thought $800ish would be the floor, but perhaps Disney is showing some mercy to folks with the removal of monthly payments.

wowsmom

I don't think it went to all former APs, as I didn't get it either even though my AP only expired in May 2020. If I had to guess it only went out to those APs that would have expired in mid-to-late 2020.

Our passes expired end of July 2020. My son and husband got the email, I didn't.

wowsmom

This is me and my friend's group. If we were able to enter when we wanted, we would go for dinner regularly and spend more money on food. Instead we are going to other places we don't like as much. Heck- we now have a Universal Platinum AP because why not...gives me something to do.

Oh- and I live about a mile from Disneyland, so popping in to buy things and eat is a regular occurrence...well, used to be!

We're about 5 miles, but same.

CaptinEO

Disney said they wanted to give us more flexibility... well they're giving it to us! The catch? Pay. Pay. Pay. Pay. Pay.

• Parking is an additional charge (no pass "includes parking" it must be added on)

Other details:
  • Multiple tiers
  • No unlimited tier
  • Blackout dates
  • The more you pay, the more advanced reservations you can make in a 30-day window
  • No monthly payments
The only part I'm not buying is the lowest tier will be around $700 -- I thought $800ish would be the floor, but perhaps Disney is showing some mercy to folks with the removal of monthly payments.
So it sounds like it has the same caveats as ticket? No thanks.

J4546

When I was an AP holder at disneyland, i always parked a couple blocks away and walked to disneyland. its like a 10-15 minute walk and usually in the morning the weathers is nice and cool, i really dont mind the walk.

mikenatcity1

Other details:
  • Multiple tiers
  • No unlimited tier
  • Blackout dates
  • No monthly payments
While this sounds "too good to be true" for Disney, it closely matches what the other SoCal theme parks are doing (except parking for Universal is included in the top 2 tiers)...you get the base for a certain amount, but a la carte everything else...which for Knott's has been good for me.

mickEblu

Other details:
  • Multiple tiers
  • No unlimited tier
  • Blackout dates
  • No monthly payments

The only thing that surprises me is the no monthly payments if true

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom