News Disneyland Magic Key Program (all pass types will be available to purchase beginning March 5, 2024)

el_super

My underwhelming expectation is a loyalty program. Buy 10 visits and get the 11th for half-price or something.

I was only half joking when I mentioned that before... Since I've had some coffee and feel a bit less cynical, I think it will be something CLOSE to this but not quite. Discounts on admissions, food and merch, free admission to some special events (like Disneyland After Dark), the same level of extras (special access to character locations, exclusive merch) and MAYBE even free admission on some days (the slowest of the slow).

They know that this is a huge bummer for some and I think they will aim to add additional value to the pass, if they end up removing the all access style they had before.

SoCalDisneyLover

I’d be ok if they offered a pass that allows 1 or 2 visits a month with a reservation required.
That's essentially what the $650 Flex Pass was, only there was no limit on # of visits per month, just that you could only hold 2 reservations at a time.

All of the vloggers seem to think that whatever they offer, the cheapest plan is going to be $1,200 or more.

I am fine with how the Flex pass worked, but I wouldn't want to be restricted to 2 visits per month as opposed to being able to make 2 reservations at a time. That's too restrictive.

Jiggsawpuzzle35

That's essentially what the $650 Flex Pass was, only there was no limit on # of visits per month, just that you could only hold 2 reservations at a time.

All of the vloggers seem to think that whatever they offer, the cheapest plan is going to be $1,200 or more.

I am fine with how the Flex pass worked, but I wouldn't want to be restricted to 2 visits per month as opposed to being able to make 2 reservations at a time. That's too restrictive.
My signature pass was around that price and I only visited maybe once or twice a month so I’d be ok with that price.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If its based on the old Magic Kingdom Club, as I suspected it might be even before this recent "hint", then I suspect it'll be a tiered discount program. Where the higher the tier the larger the discount on tickets, merch, food, etc.

Say like (range within a tier based on item be it ticket, merch, food):

Bronze - 10-19% off for $599/yr
Silver - 20-29% off for $699/yr
Gold - 30-39% off for $799/yr
Platinum - 40-50% off for $999/yr

mickEblu

If its based on the old Magic Kingdom Club, as I suspected it might be even before this recent "hint", then I suspect it'll be a tiered discount program. Where the higher the tier the larger the discount on tickets, merch, food, etc.

Say like (range within a tier based on item be it ticket, merch, food):

Bronze - 10-19% off for $599/yr
Silver - 20-29% off for $699/yr
Gold - 30-39% off for $799/yr
Platinum - 40-50% off for $999/yr

This sounds terrible. I don’t think it’ll be anything like this. Do you really think people that used to pay $600 (in monthly payments) for nearly unlimited access will suddenly pay $600 for the opportunity to get 10-19% off. No way.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This sounds terrible. I don’t think it’ll be anything like this. Do you really think people that used to pay $600 (in monthly payments) for nearly unlimited access will suddenly pay $600 for the opportunity to get 10-19% off. No way.
Well its better than paying 100% for everything. Those discounts add up when you're talking about food and merch, not to mention tickets themselves.

Mouse Trap

How lame this ends up being depends on how they view this new program. Do they view the Magic Key program as some temporary thing until they inevitably bring back APs in some form? Or do they view this as the future? I guess it all depends on what the guest response is. Originally I thought whatever this new program ended up being was going to be temporary until they felt ok about packing the parks again but seeing that they are already ok with that maybe this is it.

Possible for sure. If the Magic Key is a massive departure from an AP and turns out to be a huge flop then there's no reason they can't bring AP's back if they really need to in 6 months, 6 years, etc...

I'm on the side thinking this will be more like an AP than any sort of discount program or punch card.

You buy a Magic Key to "open the gates" and are now a "Disneyland Keyholder".

But the keys aren't cheap and despite the price tag for some reason the locks get changed out for almost half of the year.

mickEblu

Well its better than paying 100% for everything. Those discounts add up when you're talking about food and merch, not to mention tickets themselves.

True statement but it doesn’t account for the fact people bought those passes BECAUSE they were good deals.

mickEblu

Possible for sure. If the Magic Key is a massive departure from an AP and turns out to be a huge flop then there's no reason they can't bring AP's back if they really need to in 6 months, 6 years, etc...

I'm on the side thinking this will be more like an AP than any sort of discount program or punch card.

You buy a Magic Key to "open the gates" and are now a "Disneyland Keyholder".

But the keys aren't cheap and despite the price tag for some reason the locks get changed out for almost half of the year.

I agree. I’ve been saying different tiered more expensive / more restrictive flex passes all along. Only thing is I thought they were going to use this new program as a stop gap when they couldn’t/ didn’t want to pack the parks. But we can see they are not concerned with that.

mickEblu

Tin Foil Key = you can buy merch and use the restrooms, but no rides. Just $450/year!

BYOK (Bring your own Key) = enjoy our Downtown Disney attractions, marvel at the Disneyland Railroad as you peer through the front gates and purchase all your favorite Disneyland snacks from our new esplanade food cart.

Just $299 per year!

Last edited:

mickEblu

They re not going to recreate the revenue of the AP program with some measley discounts or punch card system. That would only work for vloggers and people with a ton of disposable income. The old AP prices/ structure created the demand and incentive to go the parks that often.

This is just a rebranding. After all, you can’t call something an “annual pass” when people are blacked out half of the year and have the possibility of striking out on reservations multiple times.

Mouse Trap

The rumor floating around on social media is 12 visits, 24 visits, 36 visits, 48 visits and 52 visits.

48 visit and 52 visit are the only Keys that include parking.

Minor discounts to add visits a la carte with the 52 visit key having the most meaningful discount.

If this is the case then it'll work great for some people, myself included. Twice a month is plenty Disneyland for me.

Californian Elitist

I looked through my bag of unused A-E tickets that my grandma gave me and found a couple of those Magic Key coupons. I noticed that they were tiered (child, junior, and adult). What are the odds of them repeating this and creating passes based on age groups?

67AC48A4-702D-41C1-9D22-1512476C592B.jpeg

mickEblu

The rumor floating around on social media is 12 visits, 24 visits, 36 visits, 48 visits and 52 visits. 48 visit and 52 visit are the only Keys that include parking.

If this is the case then it'll work great for some people, myself included. Twice a month is plenty Disneyland for me.

Wow. I literally posted something like this as an idea with capped visits years ago here and on Micechat. Except mine stopped at 24 visits which in hindsight is foolish.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom