Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GimpYancIent

Not agreed.

The fallacy that being young and healthy meant you were safe has been spreading from the beginning, but it's wrong. The elderly and infirm will ALWAYS be our most vulnerable populace...no matter what illness you're talking about.

Even for the young and healthy, severe COVID is a roll of the dice.
Correct. The initial bogus age charts that were put out installing the idea that being a certain age meant a person could not catch COVID19 or if infected would be virtually unnoticeable because of being a certain age (as in numeric) and a person of a certain age (as in numeric) if infected would most likely die were a terrible idea that is now suddenly being realized. "Physical or Biological age is the age of your body in biological terms compared to the actual age of your body in chronological terms. Like any object, if you don't take care of it, your body will show signs of wear and tear greater than it's actual age. Conversely, if you do look after it, you can make your body look and feel younger than it is." There are many 20 year old's that are physically older than many 70 year old's.

Heppenheimer

I don't have to. They already know, for example, that severe COVID is still very rare in children. They also know the delta virus is more contagious to all. They also know that children transmit the virus at a lower level than adults. They also know the things like diabetes and obesity significantly increase your risk for severe COVID.

We really need to stop using anecdotal evidence to drive narratives.
Our hard-won public health efforts to eradicate measles and polio from the US were to eliminate bad pediatric disease outcomes that were about as rare or even rarer than the mortality and morbidity associated with pediatric COVID. So, yes, these anecdotes matter, especially if they become completely preventable in the near future with approval of the vaccines for kids.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Our hard-won public health efforts to eliminate measles and polio from the US were to eliminate bad pediatric disease outcomes that were about as rare or even rarer than the mortality and morbidity associated with pediatric COVID. So, yes, these anecdotes matter, especially if they become completely preventable in the near future with approval of the vaccines for kids.
But not the evidence and data that doesn't align with those anecdotes?

I will say again, if severe COVID was a significant risk to children, even at the level of just the average adult, we would be in hard lockdowns.

dreday3

Illinois is probably about to mask up again. CDC said a bunch of our most highly populated counties (including here in Chicago) are in the substantial range as of today.

I have no doubt that masks will be in effect indoors on Monday - after Lollapalooza wraps up of course.

Good on us Illinois, get it over with early! :D

Heppenheimer

But not the evidence and data that doesn't align with those anecdotes?

I will say again, if severe COVID was a significant risk to children, even at the level of just the average adult, we would be in hard lockdowns..
A one-in-a-thousand bad outcome becomes insignificant when there are only a handful of cases every year of a certain disease. This is why there haven't been any measles fatalities in the US for several decades. There just weren't enough cases.

But when a disease starts to become rampant, like thousands of new cases daily, those "rare" disease sequelae start to occur much more frequently. We can't vaccinate kids yet, hence I'm worried that we will start to see more MIS-C cases. Yes, most won't die of this, but tell that to the kid that has spend several weeks to even months in a hospital that its OK, we didn't need to do anything to prevent you from getting the disease, because we don't like wearing masks.

The fact that several hospital systems in the south are now reporting nearly filled pediatric wards is terrifying. Outside of tertiary referral centers, pediatric wards usually only have a few to no patients at any given time.

havoc315

So in total, that's 81 breakthroughs out of 7270 positives.

7189 unvaccinated... 98.8858%

So it’s getting very frustrating:
Simple solution — for WDW and every similar venue— Require vaccination for admission of those 12+. Require vaccination for employment.

Let the unvaxed sit at home. But because there is this political pressure to protect the rights of the unvaxed… instead we need to return to universal masking requirements.

Disney Experience

Here is the prepub not fully peer reviewed Pfizer Phase 3 ( mostly ) 6 month study update (seems mostly pre delta data when South African variant was of concern). The study result show a drop in efficacy over time with 4 months since vaccinated until data cutoff the efficacy is 83.7%.(Pre delta data)
From its peak post-dose 2, observed VE declined.From 7 days to <2 months post-dose 2, VE was 96.2% (95% CI [93.3-98.1]); from 2 months to <4 months, VE was 90.1% (95% CI [86.6-92.9]); and from 4 months to the data cut-off, VE was 83.7% (95% CI [74.7-89.9]).

Over 42000 participants worldwide, with about 12,000 ( not 15000) vaccinated through Oct 2020 worldwide.

My bout with covid in June as part of the study is likely not reflected because it is likely after data cutoff, as is any other subject events post data cutoff.

dreday3

Here is the prepub not fully peer reviewed Pfizer Phase 3 ( mostly ) 6 month study update (seems mostly pre delta data when South African variant was of concern). The study result show a drop in efficacy over time with 4 months since vaccinated until data cutoff the efficacy is 83.7%.(Pre delta data)

Over 42000 participants worldwide, with about 12,000 ( not 15000) vaccinated through Oct 2020 worldwide.

My bout with covid in June as part of the study is likely not reflected because it is likely after data cutoff, as is any other subject events post data cutoff.

I'm confused. I thought a while ago data came out that Pfizer was still working after 6 months of being vaccinated?

mmascari

Side note, what's the secret all these "young and likely fine" people are using to stay "young and likely fine"?

I've never met a 30 year old that stayed that way. Eventually they all became 40 year old or had a very poor alternative.

That's the ad: You're going to get the vaccine eventually once you're in the old and frail age. Might as well get it now when it's cheap and easy. Unless your goal is to not make it to old and frail....

Disney Experience

I should have phrased it better. I thought it was higher than that. But no matter.
Some of the past numbers are based on lab data, this , on the other-hand, is phase 3 study clinical data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom