Touchdown

Congrats on 4000 pages of covid talk.. yikes
82310357-78C7-449C-AC0C-0DDA4EA51A01.jpeg
F4A995C4-CB4D-4737-B205-4D76052A08AD.jpeg

WOO HOOO!

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
If things don't improve like an empty Times Square like last year on NYE? Hopefully that won't happen but if the unvaccinated can get shots in arms can help this current situation out.
Things will be improving before end of the year guys, the unvaccinated people has to get vaccinated sooner than expecting like last time.

mmascari

So in total, that's 81 breakthroughs out of 7270 positives.

7189 unvaccinated... 98.8858%
Let's pretend that's national average.

With 80,701 cases yesterday, 1.114% is 899 vaccinated people had a surprise yesterday.
This thread has been guessing there's roughly another 30,000,000 cases yet to come. That's 330,000+ people who are going to get a surprise infection while vaccinated.

How's 300,000 compare to the daily (weekly?) WDW visitor count? For some perspective on the number of surprised people.

Boom, surprise, it's an infection! 🎉🥳

Oh wait, that's only 0.2043% of currently vaccinated people. Let's round that to full value, 0%. Yeah, all 300,000+ of those surprises aren't real, all those people round to 0%, they can pound sand, no matter how personally disruptive the event may be to them.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not you too, why is it that no one is willing to take the CDC at their word? If it was about making unvaccinated wear masks because cases were increasing do you really think they would have waited as long as they did? Not to mention, cases are increasing nationwide, if this was their goal dont you think it would have rolled out nationwide?

Please stop with the conspiracy this is something else, continuing to broadcast this reinforces the idea the CDC is lying about the pandemic and vaccines.
Not sure what you mean by conspiracy. The CDC revised their guidance because of cases going up due to delta variant. Why are you saying they changed guidance if not that? They said that the possibility of a vaccinated person infecting others is still rare. Their words not mine. If the only reason for the change would be that rare occurrence then it wouldn’t be just in high spread areas it would be everywhere. If that same study came out and we were at 5,000 cases a day would they have revised guidance? Clearly this is an attempt to get the current surge under control. There’s no way to practically get unvaccinated people to wear masks out in public and allow fully vaccinated people to go mask free so for now while cases spike everyone wears a mask. Much easier to follow and for businesses and local governments to enforce. The CDC, the President, Fauci and every other public official are all saying that this is a problem with the unvaccinated and that the vast majority of cases are in the unvaccinated and almost all hospitalizations and deaths.

James J

In the Parks
No
No you cannot say cases are going back up! If you are from the uk you know full well that case rates per day are an artefact of testing rates and are low from sat - Tuesday and then steadily rise from weds to Friday - last week was an anomoly not the norm.

you can only look at case rates on the same day last week Abd also specimen rather than reporting date. Last week there were 39,000 approx cases reported on the Thursday and this week 31,000 a drop off 20%. Yes a lower drop than previous days but did we really expect 40% drops per day of the week? We would get to 0 before long! Also if you look at specimen rates they were very obviously still going down which to be Frank I didn’t think would happen! The only thing is if we hadn’t opened up we would have had bigger drops but do we really want that?

As for hospitalisations - today was the very first day that the number reported in hospital in the uk had gone down for over a month! Admissions etc are plateauing as well and as we know deaths lag cases by 2/3 weeks so we would still expect them to be going up right now and hopefully begin to drop off from next week

yea cases in real terms (not reporting terms) may go back up due to opening but we have given us some real breathing space now with a massive drop of cases of (as today) 37% from this time last week

oh and PCR positivity rates are going down as well - below 10% today and triage and zoe app numbers going down as well…
The number of daily cases has risen over the last few days. Yes, they're lower than they were a week ago and we're in a better place, but they have literally gone up. 23,511 to 27,734 to 31,117 is a rise and is being reported as such by all media outlets, including the BBC News that I'm currently watching.

Over the last 7 days there's also been a drop of almost a million in the number of tests being taken.

Touchdown

Not sure what you mean by conspiracy. The CDC revised their guidance because of cases going up due to delta variant. Why are you saying they changed guidance if not that? They said that the possibility of a vaccinated person infecting others is still rare. Their words not mine. If the only reason for the change would be that rare occurrence then it wouldn’t be just in high spread areas it would be everywhere. If that same study came out and we were at 5,000 cases a day would they have revised guidance? Clearly this is an attempt to get the current surge under control. There’s no way to practically get unvaccinated people to wear masks out in public and allow fully vaccinated people to go mask free so for now while cases spike everyone wears a mask. Much easier to follow and for businesses and local governments to enforce. The CDC, the President, Fauci and every other public official are all saying that this is a problem with the unvaccinated and that the vast majority of cases are in the unvaccinated and almost all hospitalizations and deaths.
You insinuated that the main reason they brought masks back was to force the unvaccinated to wear them. It’s been CDC guidance since Spring 2020 to wear masks. The only reason things changed for vaccinated individuals is they got back data that it was possible for vaccinated people to possibly infect others. That’s it, it’s not the CDCs fault if unvaccinated people continue to flout their rules.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You insinuated that the main reason they brought masks back was to force the unvaccinated to wear them. It’s been CDC guidance since Spring 2020 to wear masks. The only reason things changed for vaccinated individuals is they got back data that it was possible for vaccinated people to possibly infect others. That’s it, it’s not the CDCs fault if unvaccinated people continue to flout their rules.
We can agree to disagree. The only reason the guidance was revised is because cases are up.

LaughingGravy

I'll wait to visit NYC this fall when the virus cases are so low soon as CDC will announcing the pandemic is finally over soon.
I was in midtown Manhattan a few weeks ago ( Colbert live audience) and a lot of things are still closed. Only a few Broadway shows are open and a lot of stores and restaurants with long histories didn't survive the rents that didn't go down.
There also used to be a significant WDW/DL parks presence or merchandise in the Disney Store in midtown, but it's a far cry from what it used to be. I say focus on the museums and parks if one is to go into NYC these days.

Heelz2315

What’s the over/under on reaching 5k pages before we return “back to normal” (or however you choose to word end of the pandemic as a national emergency, no necessarily global)

I'll take the over, because I think things will level out/go down in a few months then pick back up in November-Feb so the dialogue will go nuts.....then go back down. The surges coming. I believe though (unless something pierces immunity) each wave will be smaller than the last.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I'll take the over, because I think things will level out/go down in a few months then pick back up in November-Feb so the dialogue will go nuts.....then go back down. The surges coming. I believe though (unless something pierces immunity) each wave will be smaller than the last.
So masks and social distancing won't be returning for good by November anymore? I'm down with that! Everything's will go back to normal soon!

AEfx

I really hope you're kidding here...

Nope, I have original thoughts - crazy, I know! Although I have been saying the same thing all along, so I'm not sure why you would be surprised. Or why other posters would be now labeling me some lizard conspiracy person.

The goal of the CDC is to get people to behave in the way they wish us to behave. They control their messaging very tightly to do so. That's their primary job. It's pervasive throughout the entire medical community - they play God. Sometimes they are right, some times they are wrong. Their job isn't to present the truth as best they know it, and let us decide - they tell us what they think we need to hear to behave the way they want for their desired outcome.

They told us masks were useless in the beginning, because they were afraid there were not enough to go around, not because they were ineffective (clearly, any 2 year old can tell you, having SOMETHING between you and other people has got to help, even if it had questionable efficacy, it was better than nothing, not to mention that in other countries people have been masking during virus season for a very long time).

They gambled and told people to take their masks off with a glossy ad campaign in conjunction with the White House, not because "the science" changed showing how effective they are, but vaccinations were lagging and made a desperate attempt to incentivize people into getting one. Fauci was on the record a few days before saying we would be masking up at least through the fall.

And we all know how this strategy failed, spectacularly, as I believe both you and I predicted at the time - which is why we are in this terrible mess right now.

That's why I've never stopped masking, nor do I make unnecessary trips in public places. A regular cold knocks me out 3x harder than other people because of allergies and asthma. I'm one of those people who, if I get COVID, I'm most likely going into the hospital. I also have no desire to tempt fate with "long covid", because I already know people affected by it, and I'd like to keep as much grey brain matter as I have left.

So - yes, there are people out there like me who are vaccinated (I don't like to use the term "fully" because I think that too many people connote that as "fully shielded" which we know is not the case), believe they are a good tool, and have done "our part" - but also don't have a great deal of trust what the CDC or White House says moment to moment, because they don't seem to know what the hell they are doing. I recognize them for what they are, and I'm not going to pretend they aren't full of crap half the time, denying that reality in a desperate attempt to make others believe in them more (and a big hint on that - the un-vaccinated don't care what we think at this point).

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Nope, I have original thoughts - crazy, I know! Although I have been saying the same thing all along, so I'm not sure why you would be surprised. Or why other posters would be now labeling me some lizard conspiracy person.

The goal of the CDC is to get people to behave in the way they wish us to behave. They control their messaging very tightly to do so. That's their primary job. It's pervasive throughout the entire medical community - they play God. Sometimes they are right, some times they are wrong. Their job isn't to present the truth as best they know it, and let us decide - they tell us what they think we need to hear to behave the way they want for their desired outcome.

They told us masks were useless in the beginning, because they were afraid there were not enough to go around, not because they were ineffective (clearly, any 2 year old can tell you, having SOMETHING between you and other people has got to help, even if it had questionable efficacy, it was better than nothing, not to mention that in other countries people have been masking during virus season for a very long time).

They gambled and told people to take their masks off with a glossy ad campaign in conjunction with the White House, not because "the science" changed showing how effective they are, but vaccinations were lagging and made a desperate attempt to incentivize people into getting one. Fauci was on the record a few days before saying we would be masking up at least through the fall.

And we all know how this strategy failed, spectacularly, as I believe both you and I predicted at the time - which is why we are in this terrible mess right now.

That's why I've never stopped masking, nor do I make unnecessary trips in public places. A regular cold knocks me out 3x harder than other people because of allergies and asthma. I'm one of those people who, if I get COVID, I'm most likely going into the hospital. I also have no desire to tempt fate with "long covid", because I already know people affected by it, and I'd like to keep as much grey brain matter as I have left.

So - yes, there are people out there like me who are vaccinated (I don't like to use the term "fully" because I think that too many people connote that as "fully shielded" which we know is not the case), believe they are a good tool, and have done "our part" - but also don't have a great deal of trust what the CDC or White House says moment to moment, because they don't seem to know what the hell they are doing. I recognize them for what they are, and I'm not going to pretend they aren't full of crap half the time, denying that reality in a desperate attempt to make others believe in them more (and a big hint on that - the un-vaccinated don't care what we think at this point).
That’s why I didn’t listen to the CDC or the White House from day one. I watched and listened to what was happening. I watched cultures who wear masks during illness and epidemics. I thought, seems like a good idea. Harmless and whatever. I don’t follow the science, never have with COVID. I don’t understand science or even pretend to. All I know is, I put a mask on and distanced myself. As did my family and friends. I continue to wear masks indoors in public places. The worst part about the whole thing has been watching in horror at sheep who continue to “sheep”. If the CDC and the White House told me tomorrow that we were all cured, I wouldn’t change a thing about my lifestyle choices.

I never knew something like that could be considered virtue signaling. I’d never heard the phrase before! I just grew up in a family that learned to read the tea leaves and adapt. I’ve made strides in encouraging friends of mine to get the vaccine and to continue being cautious - while still living life. I live my life. It’s why I’m still proud to be an American, however sickened I am by those who continue to roll in the sludge (and get it all over the rest of our beautiful country. Well, parts of it.).

GenerationX

According to the CDC, 94.9% of COVID hospitalizations had at least 1 underlying condition.

Also, according to the CDC, 99.998% of 0-17 year olds survive it.

Virus variants are always more contagious but present fewer complications than the original strain. The media ignores this fact, just as they ignore natural immunity through having had it.

lisa12000

The number of daily cases has risen over the last few days. Yes, they're lower than they were a week ago and we're in a better place, but they have literally gone up. 23,511 to 27,734 to 31,117 is a rise and is being reported as such by all media outlets, including the BBC News that I'm currently watching.

Over the last 7 days there's also been a drop of almost a million in the number of tests being taken.
But you cannot look at it per day you need to look at it via the same day of the week last week - the rise is an artefact of testing that is a fact! It’s not just amount of tests (drop off is mainly schools) but also the days of the week that people get geared more at work/hospitals etc - the patterns I’ve said to you are literally set in stone abd literally always go up day by day later in the week abd then drop off at the weekend again - I’m not making things up go and have a look on the dashboard - apart from last week it’s literally every single week!

positivity is what to look for re testing and it’s going down - so the drop is not just about testing it is an actual drop!

Heppenheimer

According to the CDC, 94.9% of COVID hospitalizations had at least 1 underlying condition.

Also, according to the CDC, 99.998% of 0-17 year olds survive it.

Virus variants are always more contagious but present fewer complications than the original strain. The media ignores this fact, just as they ignore natural immunity through having had it.
No and no. The contagion potential and morbidity associated with different strains of the same virus are random. Just like your previous rolls of the dice have no bearing on what you roll next, the random changes to viral strands, especially between epidemics, has no influence on the next. Some might be more or less infectious, some might be more or less dangerous, some might be both, but these factors don't move in one inevitable direction.

And please, don't try to start that tire old canard again about "Most have underlying conditions, therefore it wasn't COVID!" We've debunked that time and time again.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
This is an interesting map our governor tweeted today. It shows vaccination rates for those 12-17 by state. Florida's vaccination rate for that age group is only 35%

Since some of those states on the low side have the populations of a city block, you’d think a higher percentage would be a cinch. Guess not.

ImperfectPixie

That’s why I didn’t listen to the CDC or the White House from day one. I watched and listened to what was happening. I watched cultures who wear masks during illness and epidemics. I thought, seems like a good idea. Harmless and whatever. I don’t follow the science, never have with COVID. I don’t understand science or even pretend to. All I know is, I put a mask on and distanced myself. As did my family and friends. I continue to wear masks indoors in public places. The worst part about the whole thing has been watching in horror at sheep who continue to “sheep”. If the CDC and the White House told me tomorrow that we were all cured, I wouldn’t change a thing about my lifestyle choices.

I never knew something like that could be considered virtue signaling. I’d never heard the phrase before! I just grew up in a family that learned to read the tea leaves and adapt. I’ve made strides in encouraging friends of mine to get the vaccine and to continue being cautious - while still living life. I live my life. It’s why I’m still proud to be an American, however sickened I am by those who continue to roll in the sludge (and get it all over the rest of our beautiful country. Well, parts of it.).
I started wearing masks before we were told to, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom