Rumor Higher Speed Rail from MCO to Disney World

Disone

All of those previous plans assumed a government funded project. This one is privately funded. And since the 528 route is estimated to be over $600 million more expensive they are going for the 417 route. However the latest push for the 528 route may have torpedoed the whole thing again. Everyone on I drive is demanding that route, but the don’t want to pay for it. If this keeps up, the project is going to die again. Everyone wants it there way, but aren’t willing to cough up the money to pay for it so they’ll take there ball and go home and the project will die a third (or maybe more) death.
This is exactly what Universal wants. They have killed it before and will stop at nothing to kill it again.

It's time to let the private company do what it wants to do and let people vote with their wallets. If it succeeds great if it doesn't great. It's absolutely ridiculous that the iDrive Corridor and Universal are trying to force Brightline to drastically alter at Brightline's expense or cancel the project which again i believe is there actual goal.

Imagineer45

I'm not exactly sure what the 17 acres is supposed to do. Its obviously not 17 acres arranged in a mostly straight path that would be usable for train service.

Do they want BrightLine to turn around and resell the land? Why wouldn't Comcast just give them the cash if it was this big of a deal? The answer of course is that they don't really want to give any cash or land, they just don't want Disney getting a 'direct' route.
It is ceremonial to say they are trying to help. The land is worth millions, which isn't nothing, but magnitudes off from the ~$1 billion needed for the route.

All of those previous plans assumed a government funded project. This one is privately funded. And since the 528 route is estimated to be over $600 million more expensive they are going for the 417 route. However the latest push for the 528 route may have torpedoed the whole thing again. Everyone on I drive is demanding that route, but the don’t want to pay for it. If this keeps up, the project is going to die again. Everyone wants it there way, but aren’t willing to cough up the money to pay for it so they’ll take there ball and go home and the project will die a third (or maybe more) death.
Correct. The entire premise of the 528 route being an alternative does not make sense because it is not happening. Florida is not paying for it, Orlando cannot afford to pay for it, Universal does not want to pay for it, and even Brightline would prefer not to operate it even if the funds were there. It is 417 or bust.

Oh, and on the subject of government funding: Brightline is and has been agitating to get funding from the most recent infrastructure package as part of the $80 billion pool for national rail investments. (It's this or a future package of its nature that I would expect to fund Sunrail phase 3.)

They're apparently looking for funding for the LA-Vegas line, but I would expect that at least privately and at least from Universal that there has been pushing to potentially make up the difference using that money.

The project's timeline is too far out to likely receive anything in the infrastructure bill. Internally, Universal's preference is also to kill the project altogether, so no they have not seriously inquired about other funding options.

In the Parks
Yes
The entire premise of the 528 route being an alternative does not make sense because it is not happening. Florida is not paying for it, Orlando cannot afford to pay for it, Universal does not want to pay for it, and even Brightline would prefer not to operate it even if the funds were there. It is 417 or bust. (Emphasis added by DisneySongbird)
Really? That's surprising to me that they would prefer 417 even if someone else ponied up the cash differential to make 528 happen, and there were no strings attached to doing so. They've at least stated a public willingness to explore non-Brightline services utilizing their track, and they've started building their own commuter service in Miami, so it's probably not that they're actually secretly against commuter/regional trains.

I guess then that they believe more in the potential of future development along or future east-west services on the 417 route? But Hunter's Creek doesn't want it (I can already hear their "loot rail crime train" dogwhistles and it's already putting me to sleep with how boring that diatribe is), Linden Crossroads / 417 Park-and-Ride is a nothingburger, and those are the only two stops that make sense for a future East-West Sunrail Line inside the scope of this alignment decision. (Compared to the OCCC station but also at least one other park-and-ride on John Young Pkwy / Orange Blossom Trail / FL Turnpike, maybe a Williamsburg stop, definitely a Taft / Boggy Creek stop on the 528 alignment.)

Or, I guess, they could just be digging in and saying 'spite is a more powerful motivator than someone else handing us an extra $1 billion to fund the more costly alignment.' I can't say I'd entirely blame them. It's certainly also much easier to say 'we don't want it even if you pay us royally' when the money to make that happen is vanishingly unlikely to materialize at this or any other time.

Internally, Universal's preference is also to kill the project altogether, so no they have not seriously inquired about other funding options.
This, on the other hand, isn't surprising to me at all. Disappointing, but not surprising.

Imagineer45

Really? That's surprising to me that they would prefer 417 even if someone else ponied up the cash differential to make 528 happen, and there were no strings attached to doing so. They've at least stated a public willingness to explore non-Brightline services utilizing their track, and they've started building their own commuter service in Miami, so it's probably not that they're actually secretly against commuter/regional trains.
Brightline is an inter-city rail. Service via 528 with an additional stop would add valuable time and make them less competitive from South Florida - Tampa and Orlando - Tampa. Ridership wise, a Universal/I-Drive station is better served by commuter/regional/light rail. Brightline is okay with commuter rail services using their rails as well because it is additional capital and puts another government agency behind them, which is extremely valuable, but those schedules will always revolve around Brightline's inter-city services.

I guess then that they believe more in the potential of future development along or future east-west services on the 417 route? But Hunter's Creek doesn't want it (I can already hear their "loot rail crime train" dogwhistles and it's already putting me to sleep with how boring that diatribe is), Linden Crossroads / 417 Park-and-Ride is a nothingburger, and those are the only two stops that make sense for a future East-West Sunrail Line inside the scope of this alignment decision. (Compared to the OCCC station but also at least one other park-and-ride on John Young Pkwy / Orange Blossom Trail / FL Turnpike, maybe a Williamsburg stop, definitely a Taft / Boggy Creek stop on the 528 alignment.)
SunRail wants to build and operate an East/West service eventually. I am not sure what specific alignment they prefer, but I do not believe they are picky given that they have essentially said we will operate on whatever Brightline builds. They seem to understand that there is currently little interest in publicly funded expansion, so they will take what they can get.

In the Parks
Yes
Brightline is an inter-city rail. Service via 528 with an additional stop would add valuable time and make them less competitive from South Florida - Tampa and Orlando - Tampa.
The 528 alignment has the same track mileage as 417 but with much less curving (which probably isn't relevant now but becomes relevant in 30 years when Brightline decides to buy faster trains and electrify). Actually servicing the additional station adds acceleration time of about 90 seconds (45 each to come to a stop and get back up to speed) plus one minute for the time stopped on the platform unless Brightline's conductors and station management are all breathtakingly incompetent. I don't like to assume breathtaking incompetence, so I'm going to put the estimated time penalty of the 528 alignment with its extra stop at no more than 165 seconds after adding 10% to the time for reasonable schedule padding and assuming that the curvature of the 417 route isn't severe enough to impose any speed penalties. Less than three minutes isn't going to impact anybody's choice of transportation mode.

EDIT: And even if it did, not all trains need to service all stations. Brightline could easily pass through OCCC without stopping half the time - or all the time. Build the 528 alignment and then say "we've provisioned the route to infill OCCC Station later when funding can be found for it," with a pointed look at the BID and Universal which could easily pay for the cost of the station (likely $150m of the added cost is just OCCC.)

Ridership wise, a Universal/I-Drive station is better served by commuter/regional/light rail. Brightline is okay with commuter rail services using their rails as well because it is additional capital and puts another government agency behind them, which is extremely valuable, but those schedules will always revolve around Brightline's inter-city services.

SunRail wants to build and operate an East/West service eventually. I am not sure what specific alignment they prefer, but I do not believe they are picky given that they have essentially said we will operate on whatever Brightline builds. They seem to understand that there is currently little interest in publicly funded expansion, so they will take what they can get.
I imagine SunRail prefers the 528 alignment for the reasons I've laid out - my argument is and has always been that 528 makes more sense for the region as a whole from a potential ridership perspective along a regional service. Yes, Brightline would have priority and the intercity express trains would come first, but it's a fully grade-separated high-speed double-tracked right of way. Brightline could run 4 express trains each way per hour and Sunrail could run another 4 locals on those tracks with nothing more than competent scheduling and dispatchers; and the scheduling doesn't even need to be close to that competent for the half or less that's likely to be the top end of service on the corridor for the forseeable future.

417's commuter rail future is not great - there is a very real chance that community opposition combines with insufficient ridership forecasts to sink it, and carving a second East-West rail alignment of any grade without Brightline doing the bulk of the work to push it through is likely impossible.

I'd still rather have the 417 alternative than nothing at all, but I do think it's a shame that 528 was discarded, that its chief public advocates are actually motivated by trying to get the project killed or get an undeserved benefit without paying their own way, and that the relevant municipalities and the public voting for them are similarly hostile to spending money on what would ultimately be a much better investment for everyone.

Last edited:

Andrew25

This is exactly what Universal wants. They have killed it before and will stop at nothing to kill it again.

It's time to let the private company do what it wants to do and let people vote with their wallets. If it succeeds great if it doesn't great. It's absolutely ridiculous that the iDrive Corridor and Universal are trying to force Brightline to drastically alter at Brightline's expense or cancel the project which again i believe is there actual goal.

Serving the iDrive corridor benefits the entire area. A station at iDrive provides access to thousands of hotel rooms and the massive convention center business in Orlando.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Serving the iDrive corridor benefits the entire area. A station at iDrive provides access to thousands of hotel rooms and the massive convention center business in Orlando.
I don’t know that anyone is disputing that route ‘could’ be beneficial. What’s at issue is that route is significantly more expensive and none of the merchants or government bodies are willing to cough up the money necessary to support that route. If they want the benefit, they need to be willing to pay for it.

lazyboy97o

It will only benefit the area if transit options in the area are significantly improved. Just getting to the Hilton south of the Convention Center would be a bit of a hike with luggage.

Even then, if I say I’m going to run out for coffee and you ask me to get you one, do you demand I pay for your coffee or do you give me the money to buy you a coffee?

Andrew25

I don’t know that anyone is disputing that route ‘could’ be beneficial. What’s at issue is that route is significantly more expensive and none of the merchants or government bodies are willing to cough up the money necessary to support that route. If they want the benefit, they need to be willing to pay for it.
It is more expensive, but I'm sure someone at Brightline knows that it'll be worthwhile if you market the train to have access to the convention center/Universal and get extra seats filled. And that area of Orlando will be going through massive renovations as Epic Universe opens and the south resort develops.

It will only benefit the area if transit options in the area are significantly improved. Just getting to the Hilton south of the Convention Center would be a bit of a hike with luggage.

Even then, if I say I’m going to run out for coffee and you ask me to get you one, do you demand I pay for your coffee or do you give me the money to buy you a coffee?
I'm sure the hotels will come together and discuss some sort of transport option from the station to their hotels. Much easier and faster to serve a station a few blocks away then a direct airport-hotel option.

lazyboy97o

It is more expensive, but I'm sure someone at Brightline knows that it'll be worthwhile if you market the train to have access to the convention center/Universal and get extra seats filled. And that area of Orlando will be going through massive renovations as Epic Universe opens and the south resort develops.
Brightline did studies on ridership. They obviously don’t think there will be enough riders to justify a doubling of their costs. The area being built out more is meaningless if the station isn’t convenient. It’ll always be on the far south side of all of the development.
I'm sure the hotels will come together and discuss some sort of transport option from the station to their hotels. Much easier and faster to serve a station a few blocks away then a direct airport-hotel option.
Why is that such a sure thing? The hotels aren’t willing to put up money for the rail line. Most of their customers are going to be arriving by air at the airport and they’re not going to win people over buy saying they offer a shuttle that requires buying a train ticket.

Andrew25

How is a Disney Springs station different than that of a station at I-Drive? You still have to shuttle guests with luggage between hotels.

Costs wise, there is hope for funding from the high speed rail bill from the federal government. If it can cover a portion of the cost, I'm sure Brightline will be happy.

In the Parks
Yes
How is a Disney Springs station different than that of a station at I-Drive?
Walt Disney World actually runs a reasonable bus network already, and intra-WDW traffic is much lower than I-Drive traffic - I can generally trust a Disney bus to actually get me between two points on-property without too much unnecessary drama.

By contrast, what passes for bus service in Orlando is slow, infrequent, encumbered by heavy traffic, and generally miserable. Where Disney doesn't really need to do anything, Orlando as a whole and especially I-Drive is in desperate screaming need of transportation improvement. That's the difference.

lazyboy97o

How is a Disney Springs station different than that of a station at I-Drive? You still have to shuttle guests with luggage between hotels.

Costs wise, there is hope for funding from the high speed rail bill from the federal government. If it can cover a portion of the cost, I'm sure Brightline will be happy.
It seems highly doubtful that Brightline would have committed to a Disney station without some assurance that they weren’t just leaving people on the side of the highway. It’s also possible that Brightline will be paying for the last mile transportation at Disney.

I Drive is not controlled by a single entity. There is no guarantee that hotels will provide adequate transportation.

Hope doesn’t pay the bills. But again, why should the rest of the country subsidize Comcast and the other businesses?

Andrew25

Walt Disney World actually runs a reasonable bus network already, and intra-WDW traffic is much lower than I-Drive traffic - I can generally trust a Disney bus to actually get me between two points on-property without too much unnecessary drama.

By contrast, what passes for bus service in Orlando is slow, infrequent, encumbered by heavy traffic, and generally miserable. Where Disney doesn't really need to do anything, Orlando as a whole and especially I-Drive is in desperate screaming need of transportation improvement. That's the difference.

Who's to say that Universal isn't working on improving transportation and infrastructure around the I-Drive area? They already are invested in improving roads around the resort and will unquestionably provide free transportation from the station to their parks/resorts if the station happens. If the I-Drive area is pushing for a Brightline station, they obviously understand how important it is to improve the area as a whole.

lazyboy97o

Who's to say that Universal isn't working on improving transportation and infrastructure around the I-Drive area? They already are invested in improving roads around the resort and will unquestionably provide free transportation from the station to their parks/resorts if the station happens. If the I-Drive area is pushing for a Brightline station, they obviously understand how important it is to improve the area as a whole.
If they think it will benefit them then why should they not bear at least some of the cost? Nobody is doubting that a stop in area could be a great benefit, but it won’t be enough of a benefit to Brightline. We’re not talking about a small price difference but a doubling of the cost and any negative publicity that comes from land acquisition, especially if it ends up involving eminent domain.

Or they just don’t want Disney to have a stop and would be just fine killing the entire Tampa extension. Universal will play dirty. They created a fake neighborhood group to oppose the Skyplex because they didn’t want it visible from the South Campus.

In the Parks
Yes
Who's to say? Universal themselves.

Offering 17 acres of land is sort of the equivalent of demanding Disney extend the monorail to Disney Springs and offering to pay for one of the monorail support pillars to make that happen. Just the one.

Universal and I-Drive have not publicly committed to funding any part of the line, nor have they indicated a willingness to even put funding on the table. If they had, they would be publicly offering to build the station, publicly offering to explore financing, publicly offering a sponsorship, or publicly offering a check. They also wouldn't be leading the charge to have the 417 alignment procedurally blocked, and they wouldn't be openly inviting Hunter's Creek to get on board with them.

Universal also has a track record in this department. This is far from the first time they've leaned on local politicians to kill useful transit initiatives (the streetcar in 1995 and again in 2018 as part of the I-Drive Transitway study which has since been further downgraded from a busway to painted bus lanes) and it's also far from the first time they've extorted local governance to get taxpayer funding for transportation improvements solely useful and used by them (most recently the ludicrous funding structure for Kirkman Road).

Honestly, I threw out the suggestion of going with the 528 alignment but saving a good chunk of money by not building OCCC station off the cuff. But the more I think about it, there's a certain poetic justice in Brightline running trains past I-Drive at speed while being deeply and publicly regretful that there wasn't enough money to stop them there.

Disone

Its a private company. Their business model has nothing to do with serving the orlando area. They want to connect Tampa Orlando and Miami and are willing to add one additional stop at Walt Disney World.

Honestly at this point to take the controversy out of it I would tell bright-line to take the Walt Disney World out and use the 417 alignment and just move ahead with the project. No theme park stops. From MCO guests can figure out how to get to Walt Disney World or Universal or OCCC or wherever it is they want to go.

TrainsOfDisney

Its a private company. Their business model has nothing to do with serving the orlando area. They want to connect Tampa Orlando and Miami and are willing to add one additional stop at Walt Disney World.

Honestly at this point to take the controversy out of it I would tell bright-line to take the Walt Disney World out and use the 417 alignment and just move ahead with the project. No theme park stops. From MCO guests can figure out how to get to Walt Disney World or Universal or OCCC or wherever it is they want to go.
Serving WDW is very much part of Brightlines business plan. There’s a reason the wdw stop will open before the Tampa extension

Disone

Serving WDW is very much part of Brightlines business plan. There’s a reason the wdw stop will open before the Tampa extension
I agree 100%. But it is also giving Universal and I drive an absolute fit and ammunition to fight this. Orlando Airport already has the infrastructure in place to transport people to all of the area attractions. So that's why I was suggesting to bright-line to give up that piece for the sake of the rest of the project.

In the Parks
Yes
I agree 100%. But it is also giving Universal and I drive an absolute fit and ammunition to fight this. Orlando Airport already has the infrastructure in place to transport people to all of the area attractions. So that's why I was suggesting to bright-line to give up that piece for the sake of the rest of the project.
It actually hasn't given them any ammunition at all. They'd still be fighting to get the project scrapped even if Brightline hadn't proposed or planned a Disney Springs Station, because you can spit from the right of way and hit somebody in Disney Springs. And that's bad for Universal because it means Disney or Brightline or both can go back and infill the station at any time in the future. That's the "controversy," and actually getting Universal to exit the discussion would require both existing alignments to be thrown out and Brightline to present an alternative which doesn't get within two miles of Disney. Considering where Disney is located and where the I-4 provision for rail is located literally next to it, that almost certainly means some kind of bad routing like staying on the Sunrail alignment from Meadow Woods all the way down to Tampa - which hasn't been in consideration for HSR in the past two decades for multiple very good reasons.

Universal either wants something for nothing (whether that's a free station or another handsome sum of public money), or it wants to ensure that Disney can't ever possibly benefit from the train. They are not acting on good faith and they haven't been for 26 years of local decisionmaking. Captiulating to them helps nobody - certainly not Brightline itself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom