FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrojanUSC

Was on a two week trip recent as well, all the wait times were inflated higher than the actual wait. From what we experienced the lines were moving, constantly...and we swear it was because of no fast pass. What other explanation could it be?

The continuously moving lines and lower wait times than normal (especially on crowd eater rides like Spaceship Earth and HM) are definitely the result of no FP. When 80% of your guests come from FP, the standby line becomes nearly stationary.

G00fyDad

The continuously moving lines and lower wait times than normal (especially on crowd eater rides like Spaceship Earth and HM) are definitely the result of no FP. When 80% of your guests come from FP, the standby line becomes nearly stationary.
False. Just, false. The line may stop for a moment or two here and there with FP but I can promise you that your "continuously moving line" still stopped for a moment here and there without FP. FP had a extremely negligible effect on line movement or wait times.

ParentsOf4

That sounds great (although losing DAK would be very difficult), but the issue is that it would be logistically impossible today. As soon as you priced it at $95 for three days, it would destroy that quality/service. Almost every ride would have 2+ hour lines and even finding food would be a huge hassle because the parks would be absolutely mobbed every single day. It would be miserable.
Back when WDW theme park admission were today's equivalent of $95 for a 3-day hopper, quality and service were outstanding.

I was at the central hub at the Magic Kingdom in May 1982 with friends and noticed a bench with chipped paint on one arm. We joked about it for the rest of the day. We even took a photo. Wouldn't you know it, we came back the next day and the chip was fixed to the point where we couldn't see where the chip had been! That was the level of maintenance and service WDW provided to its Guests every day.

Sights like this were impossible in the 1970s and 1980s:

1627346415507.png

Light bulbs were replaced when they were at 80% of expected lifespan. Today, burnt out light bulbs don't get replaced at all:

1627346361857.png

Disney is charging more than ever to be at their theme parks. WDW is the most expensive theme park in the world.

At these prices, Guests should receive the very best every day. Instead, Disney wants Guests to pay even more in order to avoid the long lines that Disney created by not expanding capacity to keep up demand, even as the Parks & Resorts segment reports record profits year after year.

Since taking over Parks & Resorts in 2015, Bob Chapek has:
  • introduced seasonal pricing for theme park tickets, with prices for the holidays rising by 51% since 2015,
  • added expiration dates to theme park tickets,
  • increased hotel prices by more than 35%,
  • ended Disney's Magic Express,
  • ended Extra Magic Hours,
  • cancelled or scaled back several previously announced projects at WDW.
Guests have every right to be angry at the way they are being treated by Bob Chapek. The rumored end of FastPass+ and its cash-grab replacement is just the latest example of Chapek treating his 'Guests' the way a baby treats a diaper.

ImperfectPixie

Back when WDW theme park admission were today's equivalent of $95 for a 3-day hopper, quality and service were outstanding.

I was at the central hub at the Magic Kingdom in May 1982 with friends and noticed a bench with chipped paint on one arm. We joked about it for the rest of the day. We even took a photo. Wouldn't you know it, we came back the next day and the chip was fixed to the point where we couldn't see where the chip had been! That was the level of maintenance and service WDW provided to its Guests every day.

View attachment 574901

Light bulbs were replaced when they were at 80% of expected lifespan. Today, burnt out light bulbs don't get replaced at all:

View attachment 574899

Disney is charging more than ever to be at their theme parks. WDW is the most expensive theme park in the world.

At these prices, Guests should receive the very best every day. Instead, Disney wants Guests to pay even more in order to avoid the long lines that Disney created by not expanding capacity to keep up demand, even as the Parks & Resorts segment reports record profits year after year.

• introduced seasonal pricing for theme park tickets, with prices for the holidays rising by 51% since 2015,
Guests have every right to be angry at the way they are being treated by Bob Chapek. The rumored end of FastPass+ and its cash-grab replacement is just the latest example of Chapek treating his 'Guests' the way a baby treats a diaper.
👏

Armerius

View attachment 574901

View attachment 574899

No lies detected. 👏👏👏👏👏

matt9112

I think even before COVID, wdw would be roasted if they still had paper fast passes in this modern iPhone world.

regardless of backend issues, just being that far behind on a major customer facing process would be laughable. I have plenary of dumb internal literal paperwork, but customers better not have any of that experience.

Nothing like being reminded of reality by looking at my phone all day when im at disney world. Said everyone ever? Maybe society is just whats broken and disney is just following the money.

prberk

View attachment 574901

View attachment 574899

That is the plain truth. I have been going to WDM most of my life, and at 55 I know the difference. They took something amazing and made it an expensive also-ran.

TrojanUSC

False. Just, false. The line may stop for a moment or two here and there with FP but I can promise you that your "continuously moving line" still stopped for a moment here and there without FP. FP had a extremely negligible effect on line movement or wait times.

No. Do you not understand the operation of FP? CMs are trained to take 80% of the guests from Fastpass and only 20% from standby. This is the rule. If that's all you are taking from standby, that line comes to a crawl.

wutisgood

It takes a really strong CEO to convince investors that continual investment and expansion of services is in their best interest tlvs lazy price increases and cut services. Bob Chapek definitely is not that person on the parks side. Disneyhead put things pretty well on the direction I wish they would go. As much as people like Josh personally it seems he doesn't have much sway in the decision making on the larger direction of the parks.

Figments Friend

View attachment 574901

View attachment 574899

This 150%.

Re-read this, and think about it folks.
This is today's 'Disney.

-

ImperfectPixie

View attachment 574901

View attachment 574899

That lack of maintenance doesn't just affect guests' perceptions, either. Ever work in a complete dump and have literally zero ability to try to improve it? It's not just depressing and bad for morale, but it also makes it impossible to be proud of where you work...because you notice all the bulbs that are out, the chipped paint, etc. etc.

G00fyDad

No. Do you not understand the operation of FP? CMs are trained to take 80% of the guests from Fastpass and only 20% from standby. This is the rule. If that's all you are taking from standby, that line comes to a crawl.

Yes. I do understand how FP works. What you are quoting is the employee handbook. Never have I seen 80 FP users walk past 20 standby guests to get on a ride. And neither have you. So no. FP does not make the standby lines longer by any discerable amount. I am done arguing this point with you since you are simple a FP hater that hates it just for existing. Have a good day. ;)

lightningtap347

Yes. I do understand how FP works. What you are quoting is the employee handbook. Never have I seen 80 FP users walk past 20 standby guests to get on a ride. And neither have you. So no. FP does not make the standby lines longer by any discerable amount. I am done arguing this point with you since you are simple a FP hater that hates it just for existing. Have a good day. ;)
For my Masters in Systems Engineering I had to optimize a system using modeling. I chose RnRc, as I thought it would be fun. You'll never guess the amount of Fast passes required to optimize that system. ;)

Also you've clearly never been around a ride that just reopened from a storm. We absolutely sent 80-20 while I worked there. The worst phase for Everest was 100/1.

Disstevefan1

For my Masters in Systems Engineering I had to optimize a system using modeling. I chose RnRc, as I thought it would be fun. You'll never guess the amount of Fast passes required to optimize that system. ;)

Also you've clearly never been around a ride that just reopened from a storm. We absolutely sent 80-20 while I worked there. The worst phase for Everest was 100/1.
You must tell us! What is amount of Fast passes required to optimize that system for example RnRc?

lightningtap347

You must tell us! What is amount of Fast passes required to optimize that system for example RnRc?
Sure! I don't have my paper with me, but I remember enough of the constraints to explain through it.

I treated both Fatspass and Standby as independent systems to reach the final goal. I had multiple goals and situations broken down.

1) Reach maximum hourly capacity. I used an hourly capacity number I found online as the pinpoint number for every situation. I wanted to make sure the coaster was filled at least 90% of the operating day.

Now, for the actual amounts. They depended on what I was trying to do. I had one situation where my objective was solely to keep the fastpass line at the minimum return time of 6 minutes. There is a saturation point here, as although the standby does not have a waiting constraint, the amount of fastpasses can essentially turn it into another standby line.

To keep it down to 6 minutes, I remember the % of line had to be around 5-15% to keep standby wait times within a reasonable wait. I defined "reasonable" as within some percentage above the average of a Monte Carlo simulation.

If you didn't care about standby, you could push Fastpass to 40% of capacity. But that really effected standby line waits.

I hope that mildly helps! It was a fun project!

pdude81

It's hard to make a realistic comparison between waits in series and in parallel. They are not the same thing, and some sort of fastpass line will always be needed for DAS and guest recovery. So the only real thing you can influence is whether or how much you will pay for it.

G00fyDad

I guess you never went on an omnimover that had FP jammed into it

I will repeat. The line may stop for a moment or two here and there with FP but I can promise you that your "continuously moving line" still stopped for a moment here and there without FP. FP had a extremely negligible effect on line movement or wait times.

G00fyDad

You're right. I have never in my life seen 80 FP guests pushed in front of 20 standby guests. I have been in WDW when a ride reopened after a storm. I got in the FP line for Everest and watched as they let 30 FP to 10 standby through and in those rare circumstances, yes, the FP did slow the standby line. But yeah, keep telling us about the 80-20 thing. I am dropping this argument because FP haters will refuse to see reality. I will keep looking for other information about what they are bringing out next. Whatever it is I am sure it will cause more great gnashing of teeth and wails of despair from the standby crowd. Good day to you. 🙋‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom