Rumor Hollywood insiders say there's growing tension at Disney as CEO Bob Chapek chafes at Bob Iger's 'long goodbye'

ImperfectPixie

Yes. No. Maybe? It really depends on if this is a deeper transition or not, and it seems like it is. If ALL studios are wrestling with how to handle streaming and transition from traditional distribution models, creatives aren't going to find a path to moving back to the old world.

Disney (Buena Vista specifically) really is the flag bearer in Hollywood right now, so if the Buena Vista model that pushed out all those mega-marvel hits crumbles, artists aren't going to be able to jump to another studio that is still producing $200-$300M tentpoles expecting to make $1B at the box office.

The only thing that could really save the old model is if there is a mass rejection of streaming at this point... which seems really unlikely.

Those two statements seem to contradict.
Part of the point I was trying to make is that instead of actually fixing the issues in the parks, they're just throwing money at fixes the look a little different but are essentially the same, and trying to control guest behavior in the hopes that they get more money out of us. But the merch and food they think we're going to spend on has been homogenized to the point that I don't "need" to buy any merch in the parks anymore, and the food is blah enough that my spending on dining is way down. Monetizing FP? Sure, some will happily pay. But Chapek and Co. shouldn't forget that people are more savvy to the microtransaction/monetization/pay-to-play game than they were a handful of years ago, and resentment will come into play.

el_super

Part of the point I was trying to make is that instead of actually fixing the issues in the parks, they're just throwing money at fixes

You implied they didn't see the ROI they wanted on the NextGen spending, but acknowledged that the parks are still crowded.

Maybe the parks don't really need to be "fixed" if they're still humming along?

Inspired Figment

This. A bajillion times, THIS!!! But The Bob’s see more value in streamlined merchandise offerings than anything unique and creative. That means risk. Risk is bad. The entire foundation of the company was founded on a risk, but The Bob’s have to appease large shareholders, so it’s the overpriced generic crap we get.
If they really made the effort to see what made the company so successful to begin with, they’d realize that it’s the ‘quality’ & ‘creativity’ of the offerings that ultimately bring in the most profits (both short-term ‘and’ long-term.) Sure, streamlined familiarity of their recently acquired/made IPs makes a lot of money.. but for how long until guests want things that are truly fresh, high quality, and/or unique. Balance is key.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

No one goes there anymore because it's too crowded?
No, she’s talking about capacity issues with the parks regarding crowding & guest intake on attractions. It hasn’t been well managed &/or implemented lately. Doesn’t mean nobody’s going, but the guest experience is lowering as a result of those issues, thus, a less amount of those people returning going forward into the future, not to mention a lack of positive word of mouth that convinces others to go.

ImperfectPixie

No, she’s talking about capacity issues with the parks regarding crowding & guest intake on attractions. It hasn’t been well managed lately. Doesn’t mean nobody’s going, but the guest experience is lowering as a result of those issues, thus, a less amount of returns going forward.
Yup. Combined with their very expensive efforts to control guest behavior and avoiding adding capacity for so long.

Inspired Figment

That book is legendary. We need another Roy E. Disney today. Someone who understands the business side, but also understands the long term value of the brand.
Agreed! Though preferably, someone who truly cares about ‘both’ the integrity of the parks & the film & television studio side of things. Roy E. was great about bringing awareness to the issues going on during the late Eisner, minus Frank reign.. however, he definitley was more passionate about the film side and was possibly thinking of selling off the parks if he were put in charge.. so not exactly the best idea.. that is, unless a company like OLC was involved & ran things similarly to them.. which.. I’m not exactly sure there is a company like that in California. In all honestly though.. we need a team that has a closer dynamic to Walt & Roy O. Disney (Walt’s brother). Or atleast a single person that had the same balanced qualities they both had.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

Eh, Roy’s the one who made a sudden about face and approved of Iger.
I tend to put that decision in Zenia & Iger themselves rather than Roy. Roy was actually hesitant/worried that Iger would be a repeat of the late Eisner until basically they had a talk over “respect” and all that.. then he was chosen..
Turns out though, his worries/fears were perfectly valid.. especially considering this was a guy working right alongside Eisner to begin with. The only exception for him being his success in acquiring Pixar like initially planned.. along with a slew of other company/brand acquisitions that got the stock back up.. but didn’t fix the other internal management issues at Disney. (Besides the animation studios basically)

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
“When you think about that, that is a crazy idea,” Diller said. “You actually make a movie and you don’t know where it’s going. Is it going to streaming? Is it going to direct? Is it going to a theater? Or is it going to, you know, Sam’s Club?”

Where has Diller been for the past 50 years?

Filmmakers often didn't know whether the studio was going to heavily market their movie or not; or whether it would get an international release or not; or whether it was going to get a domestic wide release or not; or whether if was going to go to the theaters at all or go straight to VHS/DVD or a TV movie.

All that before streaming existed.

Inspired Figment

Tony Baxter for President.

I mean, Disney CEO!

:)

-
I could get behind that.. possibly with Josh D’amaro alongside him.
Only thing is.. it’s super tough running an entire company. ‘But’, if they had the drive, skill, and power to do it. I’d absolutely be supportive of that partnership.

Otherwise, I definitley hope Tony retains/keep a position within WDI as I feel he is important to keep around for creative input & advice. As he’s someone who really ‘gets it’ and truly isn’t there simply for the political positions or money. He truly wants ‘Disney’ to do well & stay true to it’s high quality standards, creativity, and values that Walt initially set. I could say the same for Joe Rodhe, Tom Morris, Steve Kirk, and a number of others.

Last edited:

fgmnt

This. A bajillion times, THIS!!! But The Bob’s see more value in streamlined merchandise offerings than anything unique and creative. That means risk. Risk is bad. The entire foundation of the company was founded on a risk, but The Bob’s have to appease large shareholders, so it’s the overpriced generic crap we get.
The pathological aversion to risk taking in consumer products, a division where you can get away with absurd markups and no one cares, was a kind of canary in the coal mine for what has become an entire generation of institutional rot in the company.
The lack of common sense and understanding of their guests is just astounding.
At what point do we call it active disrespect? Honestly. I'm not trying to be a crank, I just want to know.
That was pressler and it accelerated under staggs and rasulo

battle was long lost. It’s Gettysburg
We're decades into the strategic planning era , and while its little nickel and dime schemes helped pad executive compensation, any ambitious project of theirs has failed. Have any lessons been learned?
I tend to put that decision in Zenia & Iger themselves rather than Roy. Roy was actually hesitant/worried that Iger would be a repeat of the late Eisner until basically they had a talk over “respect” and all that.. then he was chosen..
Turns out though, his worries/fears were perfectly valid.. especially considering this was a guy working right alongside Eisner to begin with. The only exception for him being his success in acquiring Pixar like initially planned.. along with a slew of other company/brand acquisitions that got the stock back up.. but didn’t fix the other internal management issues at Disney. (Besides the animation studios basically)
I finally got around to the imagineering story recently. I was initially surprised the company produced such an astounding piece of self criticism until it pretty much shapes up to be a story of Bob coming in to save the day. Then my eyes rolled out of my head. It barely even made a note of what the Pressler era at Disneyland did to that park.

I can't ever really know for sure (only Roy can) but I think he was so concerned over the relationship with Pixar flatlining while WDA floundered and Jeffrey's DreamWorks was hitting a kind of stride, any token assuaging of fears over the parks was enough.

Domestic parks, with MK and EPCOT in particular, are facing major capacity deficits. I have some level of trust in WDI to start developing higher capacity E-tickets, but I don't see (1) them getting projects to a budget that the company would find favorable in the domestic parks and (2) anyone to clue in on the necessity of developing people eaters in MK and EPCOT on the relative cheap.

ImperfectPixie

At what point do we call it active disrespect? Honestly. I'm not trying to be a crank, I just want to know.
I really am convinced that they see park guests as stupid. Are there some who will blindly pay whatever Chapek demands? Sure. But I don't think there are nearly as many as they've conned themselves into believing there are. I also think it's arrogant of them to think they can herd us like cattle and we won't notice.

fgmnt

That book is legendary. We need another Roy E. Disney today. Someone who understands the business side, but also understands the long term value of the brand.
I do not know if one could assemble an activist shareholder contingency in modern day TWDC. I think your last chance at this was Steve Jobs, who I believe held the largest share of the company in decades after the sale of Pixar. No, I think it will take a swift and obvious failure of Bob.2 for anyone to step in and right the ship, and even in that case you risk a "Devil You Know" or something far worse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom