What would it take for you to NOT go back?

shipley731

My husband & I are both from Florida & we grew up going to the parks. My first visit was when I was 3 in 1974. After we got married, we bought a 4 day Florida Disney pass that we ended up upgrading to an annual pass. We renewed each year for more than 20 years. Even before Covid, we were talking about maybe taking a year or two off from Disney. We've stayed at most of the resorts, eaten at most of the restaurants, done the attractions, etc. The prices just kept climbing. (I will say, we can afford Disney. But I have an issue shelling out $300+ a night for a room at a moderate resort.) We were in DL in March 2020 just before Covid shut everything down. We purchased a two day park hopper ticket. We paid for Max Pass (which I actually liked.) Crowds were low. We thoroughly enjoyed staying at the Grand Californian & using the direct entrance to California Adventure. We ate at the nice restaurants & enjoyed our visit to Trader Sam's. I really enjoyed the trip.
Our annual passes ended up getting extended through December of last year. We went back a few times while our passes were still good, but we ultimately decided not to renew after those visits. It just seemed like so many things were still closed. Not just restaurants, but shops and shows as well. I dislike the park reservation system. (Yes, I understand the reason for it, but it annoys me way more than having to pre-plan fast passes did,) The cost of the on-site Disney resorts are outrageous. The elimination of Tables in Wonderland was also a monster blow. Yes, I know why they did that; with so many restaurants still closed and other operating at reduced capacity, that program isn't reasonable. I enjoyed the discounts that Tables offered, but more than that, I absolutely loved the special dining experiences they did. They were super pricey, but always worth every penny.
I'm not saying we won't get passes again, but I think it's going to be a while. I work with someone that a member of Club 33 & has offered to take me & my husband to Disney for the Club 33 experience. I'm waiting until the weather cools off a little. The world is a big place & there's lots of places to visit that aren't Disney.

The_Jobu

A few years ago I bought a pack of tickets for the 50th. Remember when tickets didn’t expire? Since then they added expiry dates, jacked up prices, made a tiny window to use all your tickets after the first day, and made you reserve a park each day in advance. Probably more thing I’m forgetting, and that’s just ticket issues.

So I’m going to use them, but to be honest, I really don’t have plans to buy more after.

WEDfan9798

I’ve already stopped going to the CA & FL DisneyParks often due to the price increases & lesser incentives (along with poorer maintenance & less amount of live entertainment) , along with the further desecration of original/unique attractions in favor for more bland “ride the movies” IP Universal style rides. (Nothing against Universal btw. But I go to Universal for that type of thing, not Disney)
Last I was at WDW was February 2020 & DL (technically DCA for the ‘taste of’ event) last year I believe around March of this year.

For DL, if they got rid of Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, It’s a Small World and the Enchanted Tiki Room altogether.

When it comes to Walt Disney World;
For Magic Kingdom, same as Disneyland. But if they got rid of Carousel of Progress, Country Bear Jamboree, and the PeopleMover, I’d stop going there. (As I’m a California native.. so there wouldn’t be much incentive for me to go back to Magic Kingdom otherwise)

EPCOT, if they got rid of Figment’s large presence in the Imagination ride altogether (back to another lazy film IP ride with a shoehorned cameo or not there at all), along with the possibility of getting rid of Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land, Impressions de France, all the classic staples really. (The getting rid of Figment one would ‘especially’ deter me from returning to EPCOT or WDW property again..)

DHS, if they got rid of Muppet Vision 3D.

I was never all that invested into Animal Kingdom oddly enough.. (despite me thinking it’s a beautifully designed park with some great attractions) so that park doesn’t have much effect on my desire to go back to WDW. But those would all be my ‘major’ breaking points, personally.
Same here or if they ruin those attractions even more

KikoKea

DH and I had decided to take a break from WDW even before Covid, for several reasons. We were APs for several years, visiting 2-4 times a year, but grew tired of increasing crowds year-round, long lines, stale & neglected attractions in desperate need of reno/updates, closed attractions that sat empty, price increases, and dirtier parks, among other things.

We will be going to an after hours event at Universal in Dec- our first visit to UO ever. We bought a season pass to our nearby Carowinds, our first trip there in decades, for their coasters and water park. We will be going to Dollywood in the Fall, and to DL in Nov for Christmas. No plans for WDW in the future.

Willmark

Original Poster
DH and I had decided to take a break from WDW even before Covid, for several reasons. We were APs for several years, visiting 2-4 times a year, but grew tired of increasing crowds year-round, long lines, stale & neglected attractions in desperate need of reno/updates, closed attractions that sat empty, price increases, and dirtier parks, among other things.

We will be going to an after hours event at Universal in Dec- our first visit to UO ever. We bought a season pass to our nearby Carowinds, our first trip there in decades, for their coasters and water park. We will be going to Dollywood in the Fall, and to DL in Nov for Christmas. No plans for WDW in the future.
There is more than life in terms of vacation then the Mouse.

We’re slated for a 2 week vacation out west in August 2022. Can’t wait.

yankspy

There is more than life in terms of vacation then the Mouse.

We’re slated for a 2 week vacation out west in August 2022. Can’t wait.
Indeed. I remember taking a ten day trip to Europe and didn’t have to plan much and it cost the same as a week in Disney.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Having consulted Madame Leota I've learned that my time will be spent vacationing elsewhere in exactly 3.5 years when Haunted Mansion is forever changed.

seascape

The doom and gloom has been going on for years. It is the same thing every year, people say they aren't going again and WDW will fail. It ignores the fact that WDW is not just for teens to those in their 30's but everyone including Seniors with and without children and grandchildren. There are so many couples of all ages I see who are just enjoying the parks by themselves. Disney has so much more to offer than just thrill rides that cause motion sickness but they have the best dark rides anywhere and show. They also have the 4 Festivals we go to ever year, Arts, Flower and Garden, Food and Wine, and Holidays. Yes, WDW is expensive but so what, there are enough of us who feel the value we get exceeds it's price Disney will continue to thrive and if some here don't like it, it will be less crowded and even more enjoyable for the rest of us. Stop going if you don't enjoy it but don't think for one second that you will ever keep most of us away.

Disstevefan1

The doom and gloom has been going on for years. It is the same thing every year, people say they aren't going again and WDW will fail. It ignores the fact that WDW is not just for teens to those in their 30's but everyone including Seniors with and without children and grandchildren. There are so many couples of all ages I see who are just enjoying the parks by themselves. Disney has so much more to offer than just thrill rides that cause motion sickness but they have the best dark rides anywhere and show. They also have the 4 Festivals we go to ever year, Arts, Flower and Garden, Food and Wine, and Holidays. Yes, WDW is expensive but so what, there are enough of us who feel the value we get exceeds it's price Disney will continue to thrive and if some here don't like it, it will be less crowded and even more enjoyable for the rest of us. Stop going if you don't enjoy it but don't think for one second that you will ever keep most of us away.
Agreed, for everyone they lose, there are many who will visit, many for the first time, they don’t know what they are missing. There are still return guests who, despite of inflation, will have the disposable income and still find value as you say.

As I stated in previous post, I purchased 3 platinum passes for myself and my family for the last 13 years or so, and still held APs when WDW was closed due to COVID. Upon reopening, when the park pass reservation was put in place, that was not the access I purchased and it simply would not work for my family. Our last visit was ironically a hard ticket event, a Christmas party in 2019 and we have not returned since.

Unless something changes, APs will not work for us. Let’s see what happens, but for now we are out. If I need
some theme park happiness there is always Universal or SeaWorld.

As I said, there are many, many folks who sill visit. I used to be a doom and gloomer, I actually thought there were things Disney parks could do, or not do, that would indeed hurt their business, but after the parks successfully made it through the pandemic, prices as high as ever, and going higher; raising the concept of “provide less and charge more” to an art form and the parks are as mobbed as ever, I have come to the conclusion, taking a phrase from another less popular franchise, “resistance is futile” the Disney parks can’t fail. They are, say it with me, invincible.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I can't imagine what would totally stop me from going, but I would eventually stop spending more on a Disney vacation. If prices started getting to high for me I would cut back on things to be able to afford it, for example staying a lower tier hotel, skipping some pricey meals or cutting out extras like the Halloween party.

erasure fan1

The doom and gloom has been going on for years. It is the same thing every year, people say they aren't going again and WDW will fail.
And it will continue on for years. As long as The philosophy is charge more, give less, they will continue to push people into the doom and gloom club. Does it matter? Obviously not as shown in the next part of your post.
Yes, WDW is expensive but so what, there are enough of us who feel the value we get exceeds it's price Disney will continue to thrive and if some here don't like it, it will be less crowded and even more enjoyable for the rest of us. Stop going if you don't enjoy it but don't think for one second that you will ever keep most of us away.
This is what Disney is banking on. That they have enough people waiting in the wings who won't bat an eye at the price hikes, up charges and reductions. Will that strategy bite them? Maybe, maybe not. I made my peace with us not mattering to Disney anymore. If they're fine with loosing a once a year customer for around 20yrs, so be it. They won't lose any sleep, but neither will I. But hey, shorter lines for you! If it's still everything it has always been for you, that's great. But there are many long time fans who have been pushed out.

Last edited:

MickeyLuv'r

For me, it isn't one thing exactly that pushes me away, so much as I find myself gravitating towards the best vacation experience.

At one point, WDW offered, what I felt to be the best overall vacation experience for the price I paid. It isn't just the rides that mattered to me, but the all around service. Many times, staff went above and beyond.

In some cases, I don't mind paying extra for something if I feel the value is there.

Until, one day, something better comes along and I lose interest.

One thing right now that has me worried is how hard it is to call WDW. Their call-in service had been bad for years, but now it is beyond horrible. It was bad when average call waits were 20 minutes, but call waits now AVERAGE well OVER an hour. That is scary bad customer service, and that is before we have even stepped on WDW property.

The other day...I walked through a hotel lobby (not Florida) that was just WOW! gorgeous. I wasn't staying there, just walked through, but it was total WOW! I looked up pics of the rooms, and WOW! The rooms also look stunning! The whole area around this hotel is part of a new development, and the whole area is amazing! Staff was also very nice.

After seeing what could be, I'm less inclined to give my $ to a business that can't be bothered to answer the phone. At some point, other options look more interesting, and offer a better value, so I just opt for the best option.

KrzyKtty

I doubt anything would stop me from going back except medical; however, we are going to start ramping down as the kids become teens. As the get older, we want to spend more time overseas. We want to show them different cultures and teach them about other people. So if we only take one large vacation a year, at 14 I would rather take them to Japan, or the Great Wall, or Poland, Ireland...

Then when I kick the stinkers out of the house and DH and I become free birds again, it is all fair game. AWW, I am so sorry about that horrible mid-term sweetie. Hold on, I'll call you back. Dad and I are about to get on ROTR. :hilarious:

ndsu84

I doubt anything would stop me from going back except medical; however, we are going to start ramping down as the kids become teens. As the get older, we want to spend more time overseas. We want to show them different cultures and teach them about other people. So if we only take one large vacation a year, at 14 I would rather take them to Japan, or the Great Wall, or Poland, Ireland...

Then when I kick the stinkers out of the house and DH and I become free birds again, it is all fair game. AWW, I am so sorry about that horrible mid-term sweetie. Hold on, I'll call you back. Dad and I are about to get on ROTR. :hilarious:
I had these thoughts exactly…but somehow my kids went from 8 to 34 in a flash. Sports, boyfriends and girlfriends and tons of other stuff get in the way. I’m commenting to tell you to be aggressive to get this accomplished. If you say next year will be an easier schedule, it never happens.

You do realize people decide not to go back for reasons that have nothing to do with seeing WDW fail or to stop anyone else from going.
We don't really care about you or keeping you from WDW. Really, we don't.

I'm going in a few weeks, it's a graduation gift to my kids. We had a trip to Europe planned but it got cancelled, they chose WDW as an alternative at the last minute. It will be the last time I use my vacation time and dollars there, they are too precious. I don't feel the cost is worth it anymore. I could list all the reasons why but I'm sure they've been covered in this thread.
There are so many other vacation destinations that are so there is no reason to continue going to a place that no longer holds value to me. You see Seascape, it's about me, not about you.

Cadbury

I don't feel the cost is worth it anymore. I could list all the reasons why but I'm sure they've been covered in this thread.
Agreed. With Disney continuously jacking up the prices for EVERYTHING it just doesn't seem to be worth it anymore. I feel bad for the naive saps who will be forking over $5K to stay in that Star Wars hotel for 2 nights.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom