News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gomer

Overall, through the entire course of the pandemic, Florida faired better than almost every northeastern state despite having no mask mandates. People wore masks in Florida. Some stores required them. They just weren't required to by law.
And that is great news for the people of Florida. But it doesn't provide a basis to say that other states would have done better with no mask mandate, nor that Florida might have had an even better record if they had had strict mandates in place.

It is a single variable among many. It's just the most highly visible and politicized, so people tend to look at it and draw a conclusion on its impact based on results. But there is no definitive causality there. Only correlation.

Parker in NYC

This is a weird take.
Have you read these boards before? No one is forced to do anything. It’s just that this is the first time I’ve laid it out from another perspective. Sadly, in the COVID era, the “you don’t like it don’t go” argument applies to the cast members, too.

Disney Glimpses

And that is great news for the people of Florida. But it doesn't provide a basis to say that other states would have done better with no mask mandate, nor that Florida might have had an even better record if they had had strict mandates in place.

It is a single variable among many. It's just the most highly visible and politicized, so people tend to look at it and draw a conclusion on its impact based on results. But there is no definitive causality there. Only correlation.
You're asking people to prove the unprovable and basing the need for a mandate on it. The fact is you can compare data between states, countries, even schools with/without mandates and statistically the outcomes are basically the same.

Disney Glimpses

The Disney Parks Blog has been silent since the Hall of Presidents post on Monday. That's somewhat abnormal and could be a sign of them modifying policies.
Why would they stop posting Disney Parks news to modify a mask policy lol what am I reading here today, jeez

Gomer

You're asking people to prove the unprovable and basing the need for a mandate on it. The fact is you can compare data between states, countries, even schools with/without mandates and statistically the outcomes are basically the same.
I'm not asking anyone to prove anything. As a matter of fact, I said the opposite. That we won't ever have definitive proof.

Best states can do is weigh what we do know (all things being equal, proper mask usage reduces spread) and weigh that as a risk/reward calculation as to whether mask mandates are appropriate for their particular environment.

In general I am in favor of mask mandates as wearing a mask doesn't bother me and I believe that any mitigation measures that have minimal impact on people's day to day lives are worth using. But if there was a case to be made for places where it may not be worth it, it would be in states with year round warm weather and decent vaccination rates like Florida. Wouldn't be my choice personally, but I don't live in Florida so it's not my place to have any opinion in their decision.

Disney Glimpses

The point is, they’ll bring back masks inside if they have to.
I agree with you there completely. The second the CDC says indoor masks for all need to come back, they will be back at WDW probably overnight. I just don't see it happening; particularly with the influence the Biden administration has on policy and the goals to continue to boost vaccination.

Last edited by a moderator:

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
I agree with you there completely. The second the CDC says indoor masks for all need to come back, they will be back at WDW probably overnight. I just don't see it happening; particularly with the influence the Biden administration has on policy and the goals to continue to boost vaccination.
Indoor masks return won't be very long before end of the year, we need to boost vaccinations now! As current variants and future variants will be smaller to nothing to left.

Disney Glimpses

Indoor masks return won't be very long before end of the year, we need to boost vaccinations now! As current variants and future variants will be smaller to nothing to left.
The reality is masks were the only thing we had last year. We have vaccination now. And the fact is the last 30-40% of the country we need to get vaccinated is going to be a very tough, uphill climb. Bringing back masks will make that effort even harder and will be unlikely to meaningfully slow down the trajectory of Delta. The viral load in those infected with Delta is over 1000x greater than Alpha which means masks will be even less effective than they were in the past.

People need to get vaccinated; not put a mask on.

Disney Glimpses

The Disney Parks Blog has been silent since the Hall of Presidents post on Monday. That's somewhat abnormal and could be a sign of them modifying policies.
They just posted. Ironically, this post would go against the notion that masks are returning.

Otterhead

I think it's all about messaging. I think the mistake was making "taking off masks" as the ultimate end-goal that a lot of people fixated on, since they're so weirdly toxic and politicized for some, and the country learned that trusting people with an honor system doesn't work in America. So maybe if the message is "the virus has changed, so we need to be smart about being safe and wear them indoors to protect kids and the unvaccinated", it'd soften the disappointment for some people. I absolutely do not believe, for one moment, that having to wear masks under specific circumstances will make people forego the vaccine... unless they're extremely foolish about what masks do.
People need to get vaccinated; not put a mask on
Why not both?

Figgy1

Premium Member
The reality is masks were the only thing we had last year. We have vaccination now. And the fact is the last 30-40% of the country we need to get vaccinated is going to be a very tough, uphill climb. Bringing back masks will make that effort even harder and will be unlikely to meaningfully slow down the trajectory of Delta. The viral load in those infected with Delta is over 1000x greater than Alpha which means masks will be even less effective than they were in the past.

People need to get vaccinated; not put a mask on.
IMHO we still need to be masking short of a vaccine passport. The honor system has failed because way too many are not honorable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom