FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Lol. No it’s not. 5 bus stops in one resort. Anyone can eat at any restaurant so themed dining is not a perk of staying at a hotel.

it was FP, dining plan and EMH.
But those bus stops are located within 3 miles of the park…not over I-4 on 192 or I Drive…or worse

you pay for the spot and the label…not much more. Some of the pools are nice

fastpass+ was barley a “blip” in the operational history of wdw. 7 years is not an institution.

I was hoping this last week would provide you some “Peace” with this?

guess not?

durangojim

Shopdisney is selling this mug, but apparently it’s only one time use
265F3FC1-BF82-4B2B-A8BD-CC538987551E.jpeg

Hawg G

Problem is, these days, they treat the opening of a "less woah ride" like the second coming of Christ in their marketing anyway and that makes the problem worse... but maybe if they were opening more quality stuff more regularly, they woudln't feel the need to do that.

I know I've brought this up many times but that ad spot during the SUPER BOWL for the opening of Toy Story Land with the bouncing ball?

I don't remember a huge ad campaign for Aladdin's Flying Carpets and that at least opened with a water feature to keep you cool in the Florida heat. ;)

If they'd open the lesser stuff and just let it open the way most other places do when they know it's not a headliner, this wouldn't be a problem but they don't and again, in my opinion, it's because the really great additions are so few and far between their marketing team feels it's all they have to work with a lot of the time these days.

Two better quality versions of state fair level rides (I'm counting the launch on sdd and the lack of rust on both as part of that better quality) did not deserve even a billboard on I4 - especially since the anchor of their land was a decade+ attraction that was already at maximum capacity every day and didn't need the extra attention.

I'm not arguing they shouldn't have been added, in this post, at least (although SDD is still a tough sell to me as is the whole TSL concept in general) but that their approach and what they did with the rollout was wholly inappropriate.

Another problem is that forums like this are FULL of people who are always saying "I'm going back to my happy place", and then think it's just wonderful that Disney kidnaps their family at the airport, and whisks them away to the magic.

Of course, that magic is $4 bottles of water for a week. Overpriced, bad, burgers. Decent restaurants that charge double, and require you to make a reservation 2 months in advance. Don't feel like that big meal two months later? That's gonna cost ya.

All those people kept going every year, paid the insane amounts, and Disney, like any good company, realized they have a fanbase that will pay top dollar for bottom level entertainment. And, since they were kidnapped at the airport, they couldn't even go to their competition. Why build any new rides for 20 years, when the same rubes keep paying to come back?

I really wonder how much Uber has a responsibility for people to finally realize how dumb they have been for decades, after going to Universal for one day between the park days with 1 or 2 good Fastpasses they scheduled 2 months earlier. I mean, one of those will allow them to ride a 50 year old, suspended dark ride for the 113th time WITHOUT A WAIT!!!!

Now, with Covid, Universal completely destroyed Disney in the comeback. I got pictures with Transformers, WITHOUT MASKS, last year. At Disney last year, my 4 year old was yelled at for not having her mask over her nose before she was 20 feet from our car! And there is still not a single princess that isn't treated like the Queen of England with her separation from the commoners.

Some of the zombies are coming out of their trances, and realize All-Star Sports would be a $76 a night hotel on I-drive, even with those amazing big footballs as theming.

mikejs78

Premium Member
If they'd open the lesser stuff and just let it open the way most other places do when they know it's not a headliner, this wouldn't be a problem but they don't and again, in my opinion
Well, except that TSL is immensely popular. Your opinion notnwithstanding. So it made sense to promote it.

After my last family trip in 2019 (this was before Galaxy's Edge, both my wife and son commented that Slinky was their favorite ride on the trip.

Not everything has to be state of the art to be well executed, and sometimes things end up being greater than the sum of their parts. And TSL does that - it just delights. It may not be what you're looking for, but it is something that's a ton of fun and was a lot better than I had anticipated going into it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well, except that TSL is immensely popular. Your opinion notnwithstanding. So it made sense to promote it.

After my last family trip in 2019 (this was before Galaxy's Edge, both my wife and son commented that Slinky was their favorite ride on the trip.

Not everything has to be state of the art to be well executed, and sometimes things end up being greater than the sum of their parts. And TSL does that - it just delights. It may not be what you're looking for, but it is something that's a ton of fun and was a lot better than I had anticipated going into it.
You gotta a fairly low bar there…

toy story land is underdeveloped as a park install…it just has recognizable labeling.

the bigger tract behind it is worse…to be honest. Took all the character/locale familiarity out of it for no reason.

mikejs78

Premium Member
You gotta a fairly low bar there…

toy story land is underdeveloped as a park install…it just has recognizable labeling.

the bigger tract behind it is worse…to be honest. Took all the character/locale familiarity out of it for no reason.
I don't think I have a particularly low bar, I just recognize good fun. I can at the same time critique TSL for what it's missing, what they could have done better, etc, and still appreciate it for what it is when I'm there and I see the look on my son's face as he walks in and sees the larger than life toys, or when he laughs as we are riding the coaster. Sometimes the intangible defies logic.

skypilot2922

I did a like on this post because I agree with a lot of it but I don't think Disney was looking to add an inversion to what was always intended to be a kiddie coaster in a kiddie land for a park that was too thrill-heavy for a whole family audience.

You raise an excellent point, but you could address that by having two coaster tracks ‘Big Kidz Coaster’ and ‘Scaredy Kat Coaster’

would have increased capacity and given thrill seekers a reason to visit the land

dovetail65

Another problem is that forums like this are FULL of people who are always saying "I'm going back to my happy place", and then think it's just wonderful that Disney kidnaps their family at the airport, and whisks them away to the magic.
And why is this a problem? I think your post may need refining.

I love Disney because I feel a way when I am there, so no one should be saying that is a problem, why the heck does that bother you? It is the same feeling some get when going to Rome or Paris, which are every bit as expensive if not more than going to WDW.

I think what you mean by problem might be that even after all these price increases you feel it is an issue that people are not complaining enough about the higher pricing. If they keep going to the park paying these prices and saying they are going to their Happy Place feeling great even when it cost extreme amounts Disney will just continue with higher prices. Is that what you mean by problem?

The way you stated problem is disregarding how 80% of us feel at Disney adn that is wrong, like our thoughts are wrong. That is not right. No matter what Disney cost it can still be someone's happy place even if they can never afford to go again. It seems your happiness might be tied to cost in a very strong way, but if that is it say that.

TrojanUSC

Now, with Covid, Universal completely destroyed Disney in the comeback. I got pictures with Transformers, WITHOUT MASKS, last year. At Disney last year, my 4 year old was yelled at for not having her mask over her nose before she was 20 feet from our car! And there is still not a single princess that isn't treated like the Queen of England with her separation from the commoners.

So the gripe here, if I read this correctly, is that Disney treated a global pandemic, which killed half a million Americans more seriously than their competitor and therefore they are the bad guys?

MrPromey

It being popular misses the point.

Dumbo is popular, too - and I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that.

I can fully appreciate that me not particularly enjoying or being impressed by something does not automatically make it bad. My son for instance, is still too afraid to ride SDD even though I rode it last time to be sure it would be okay for him. To him it looks to intense. To me it looks... not even remotely close to worth the 90 minute wait.

He loves the Aliens ride but I find it hard to justify waiting 45 minutes+ for that particular experience.

Likewise, he loves the Swiss Family Robinson's Tree House. I would not count that as one of my favorites.

I'm not personally calling for it to be torn down because it's not something I enjoy, though.

The point is, if they're going to promote every B and C-ticket addition like they did here, there will always be a problem with overcrowding.

The Disney marketing machine has a lot to do with the overcrowding we see today. If Disney themselves saw this as a problem they'd back off of it but they still do it so to them, a 90 minute wait for SDD*, a ride that would not command that kind of a wait anyplace but Disney, must be acceptable, right?

Having smaller stuff along these lines in and of itself isn't a bad thing (I think there is a lot wrong with the land the way it was done but again, people say it's the best TSL out there so 🤷‍♂️** ) and I'm not saying everything needs to be an E-ticket.

Most of the parks, in my opinion, need more lower-profile attractions to soak up people who can't get on the headliners and those lower profile attractions shouldn't just be things like CoP that most don't really want to do. Where I take exception is when they try to treat a new small attraction like it's a headliner when it clearly isn't.

As a reminder, this was the Super Bowl Commercial to promote a "new land" that for some reason, was particularly light on details of what was actually in the land besides a few well cropped hero shots of Slinky Dog Dash and cg animated footage of what are in reality static set pieces. Wonder why?:

*I'd say, given the intended audience, a 90 minute wait is problematic.

** despite them making cutbacks before completion to the originally released concept which was already understood (around here at least) to be a quick and cheap answer to a park that didn't have much in the way of rides for younger children.

Last edited:

wutisgood

I love Disney because I feel a way when I am there, so no one should be saying that is a problem, why the heck does that bother you? It is the same feeling some get when going to Rome or Paris, which are every bit as expensive if not more than going to WDW.

I think what you mean by problem might be that even after all these price increases you feel it is an issue that people are not complaining enough about the higher pricing. If they keep going to the park paying these prices and saying they are going to their Happy Place feeling great even when it cost extreme amounts Disney will just continue with higher prices. Is that what you mean by problem?

The way you stated problem is disregarding how 80% of us feel at Disney adn that is wrong, like our thoughts are wrong. That is not right. No matter what Disney cost it can still be someone's happy place even if they can never afford to go again. It seems your happiness might be tied to cost in a very strong way, but if that is it say that.
Rome or Paris are incredibly competitive cities and there are ways to visit them on a budget. There is little to no ways these days of Disney on a low budget with the way the mouse controls prices. I have seen broadway shows and stayed in Manhattan for less money than Disney a few times just before covid and Disney is even more expensive now.

I think it is healthy to enjoy a product but still hold a company accountable for keeping that product to a high standard and a fair value. It's sad to see such a prevelence these days of pro corporate people who often aren't even shareholders in companies like Disney argue that they have a right and a duty to make as much money possible with the least effort to actually earn that money when they cut service and raise prices instead of investing in the products.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't think I have a particularly low bar, I just recognize good fun. I can at the same time critique TSL for what it's missing, what they could have done better, etc, and still appreciate it for what it is when I'm there and I see the look on my son's face as he walks in and sees the larger than life toys, or when he laughs as we are riding the coaster. Sometimes the intangible defies logic.
I would say what they built is fine….

but from a park operations standpoint…it’s a huge mistake. It can be and is both.

Hawg G

So the gripe here, if I read this correctly, is that Disney treated a global pandemic, which killed half a million Americans more seriously than their competitor and therefore they are the bad guys?
Well, since the vast majority of those victims were not people who visit the parks, uh, yeah. You do realize kids and 40 year olds were a very small part of those victims, right?

skypilot2922

I think the gripe here is rather Disney prioritzed the stockholder experience over the customer experience, Both companies took covid seriously as they had to covid liability could have taken either or both companies down.

But Disney’s financial engineering approach and their attempt to bigfoot universal by trying to keep them closed. Led to some really hard feelings. Universal otoh took the approach of rolling furloughs hard on the staff but nowhere near as bad as ‘fired by email’ like Disney did with no promise of recall unless unionized

All told Disney’s actions have led to a situation where apparently few want to work for the mouse in Orlando and the guest experience is suffering greatly for it.

Hawg G

Your statements are exactly why Disney keeps gouging, and lowering the deliverables.

I can afford it. I'm checking in to Portofino Bay late tonight. But I don't see Disney as a smart place to spend money at this point. Although I'll admit I'm going to Boo Bash. Mostly because ride lines at Disney are a nightmare now, and I only go for a day or two per trip, so I'd be paying well over $100 a day to go anyway.

Rickcat96

So help me understand this, they want to charge more per ride with paid FPs? is this the idea to fix all of their rides that constantly break down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom