News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

celluloid

That's not true at all. Please stop posting Covid misinformation here.
If everyone is wearing even cheap/Disney cloth masks, that's multiple layers of protection. What matters most is if they fit around your nose and mouth. Properly fitting cloth masks on everyone is a great level of protection.
Yes, an N95 mask is an excellent mask. So is a military gas mask, but that's also overkill for daily use.

Exactly. I don't now why people latched on to the no protection thing with masks.

I will make it simple for those, if they choose to listen. When it is cold outside, moisture from your breath becomes visible.

In most cases you will notice that you will not see the breath the in the same amount with a mask on. That is empirical evidence that less moisture is leaving your face area with a simple act.

Disney Glimpses

KrzyKtty

"Universal Orlando told Forbes in an email it would not be changing its mask guidance in light of the new recommendation, and Walt Disney World has not yet responded to a request for comment."

Going backwards is not an option for them for a whole host of reasons. Number one they only relaxed their mask guidance a month or so ago. Going back on it already will make it look like they made a big mistake. Whether they did or not is it different discussion, but they don't want to own up to that sort of fallout. Number two is they probably don't want to deal with the lawsuits the Florida government will bring down on them. I mean look at what the Florida government's already trying to do to the cruise industry and their requirements?

stevebwv

Exactly. I don't now why people latched on to the no protection thing with masks.

I will make it simple for those, if they choose to listen. When it is cold outside, moisture from your breath becomes visible.

In most cases you will notice that you will not see the breath the in the same amount with a mask on. That is empirical evidence that less moisture is leaving your face area with a simple act.
What is the size relationship between between an virus laden aerosol and a condensed moisture particle? If don't know then your empirical evidence is not evidence at all but simply homespun speculation. (I'll give you a hint, the size ratio is drastic. First off you can see the water vapor but not the aerosol. And there is no, none, zilch, zero evidence that community masking utilizing clothes or surgical masks slow or stop the spread of covid,) It is simply false to declare that this is a proven effective strategy.

I know why most people latch onto the masks afford protection thing. Because it sucks to think there is nothing proactive you can do to protect yourself short of hiding in a closet.

CJR

There is a general shortage of workers in the market so it would take some time to ramp up enough workers to go back to enforcing mask rules. It certainly could happen at some point but it’s not a light switch they can just flip back on in a day or a week unlike turning mask rules off which really just required new signs and some simple training of staff.

Plus, I believe Disney specifically requires employees to show proof of vaccination to be maskless. While they can't ask that of guests, they can ask it of employees and do, I believe. Or, at least, I remember hearing that.

If the push to wear masks is about the honor system failing, people who show proof aren't a part of the honor system. There's no taking their word for it. That'd be the employees who Disney and probably (don't follow as much) Universal desperately need. So, spot on!

disneygeek90

The FL government cannot do anything to stop a private business from requiring masks. The difference with the cruise lines is they are attempting to require proof of vaccination to go on the cruise and FL law now prohibits businesses from denying customers access based on vaccination status. There is nothing in that law that stops a business from requiring masks.

I agree it’s unlikely they go back. There is a general shortage of workers in the market so it would take some time to ramp up enough workers to go back to enforcing mask rules. It certainly could happen at some point but it’s not a light switch they can just flip back on in a day or a week unlike turning mask rules off which really just required new signs and some simple training of staff.
Not really sure what workers to enforce has to do with it. Surely the workers that were doing it a month ago are still employed now, and Universal hasn't added or opened much additional that they would now be tied up in.

Even so, if they require masks for all most will comply without someone pointing at them and requesting it. I think if we did see it return, it would only be for indoors. Honestly I would have been fine with that staying longer than it did.

Otterhead

I know why most people latch onto the masks afford protection thing.
....because they've been proven to, again and again, all over the world, for decades?

I mean, this is really not hard to understand. An airborne virus can be blocked by masks. It provides protection. It's saved countless lives. We've known that since the 1918 Spanish Flu. If at this point there's still people questioning if facemasks help prevent infection, they need a tinfoil hat and a one-way ticket to Mar-a-Lago.

Last edited:

pdude81

I guess it depends on whether they want to enforce it. When masks were relaxed the workers who were tasked with enforcing that rule were re-assigned to other roles so if they had to allocate more people to enforcement again they can’t take them back from other roles so they would need to hire more people. If they chose to they could go back to requiring masks but not really enforce it but that won’t really solve much. Technically at least at WDW only unvaccinated people are allowed to not wear a mask indoors per the rules today. Since that’s not really enforced at all it takes no effort or additional headcount to accomplish.
But they needed these people in other places due to rising crowds, and I keep reading in this thread that there will be waves of cancellations if guests are asked to wear masks again.

disneygeek90

I guess it depends on whether they want to enforce it. When masks were relaxed the workers who were tasked with enforcing that rule were re-assigned to other roles so if they had to allocate more people to enforcement again they can’t take them back from other roles so they would need to hire more people. If they chose to they could go back to requiring masks but not really enforce it but that won’t really solve much. Technically at least at WDW only unvaccinated people are allowed to not wear a mask indoors per the rules today. Since that’s not really enforced at all it takes no effort or additional headcount to accomplish.
What workers? Most calling people out were just at the front of attraction entrances or stores, and they almost certainly wouldn't bring back outdoor masking so you don't need the people that were walking through the parks holding a mask sign. They never had team members standing in queues a la HHN making sure everyone was masked.

Trauma

I agree with the first part and that’s my point. These workers are already being used for other tasks that cannot just be stopped to go back to enforcing masks.

On the second part, who knows. Will some people cancel…maybe, will some people book a trip because they have an unvaccinated kid under 12 and now mitigations are back, maybe. I think for a lot of people it’s not so easy to just cancel. Knee jerk reaction but many people booked for a trip in July/August booked while the restrictions were in place before June.
The people who booked before mitigation’s where lifted have now had a taste of “freedom”.

I know the one time a week that I have to put a mask on for whatever reason, I suddenly feel
very aware of it and like I am in a hospital.

It’s not a pleasant feeling and not something I want on my luxury priced vacation.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
What is the size relationship between between an virus laden aerosol and a condensed moisture particle? If don't know then your empirical evidence is not evidence at all but simply homespun speculation. (I'll give you a hint, the size ratio is drastic. First off you can see the water vapor but not the aerosol. And there is no, none, zilch, zero evidence that community masking utilizing clothes or surgical masks slow or stop the spread of covid,) It is simply false to declare that this is a proven effective strategy.

I know why most people latch onto the masks afford protection thing. Because it sucks to think there is nothing proactive you can do to protect yourself short of hiding in a closet.

If you have seen no evidence, you clearly aren't looking. Here is a whole bunch:

Witchy Chick

I’m not sure why every employer in American isn’t doing that. It’s the best bang for your buck on getting unvaccinated people to continue to mask while allowing fully vaccinated to remain mask free. It’s exceedingly difficult and potentially too confrontational to force customers into masks, but it’s easy and generally accepted for employers to ask their employees to show proof of vaccination to not wear a mask. The average person spends the vast majority of their hours outside of the home at a place of work. An unvaccinated person would spend 8 hours at work in a mask then spend an hour or 2 at Target or the supermarket as a customer with no mask.

I work for a major telecomm carrier top-15 Fortune 500 company (in an office role, not call center or in the field with customers) Our company incentivized vaccinations by:
  • Granting up to four hours administrative leave for each vax shot (so essentially a full day off to get both shots if you were getting Pfizer or Moderna)
  • Allowing liberal use of sick leave for any side effects from the vaccine
  • Instituting "vaccine perks" of no longer having to wear a mask or 6' social distance after being fully vax'd, provided your proof of vax was uploaded to the company portal

My officemate, not vax'd (scared of needles :rolleyes:), has been running around the office for weeks unmasked. I've raised this issue no less than four times in the past two weeks to our immediate supervisor with my ongoing concerns about the Delta variant escalating. No one has counseled my officemate nor written him up. (We have a corporate code of business conduct that officemate is currently violating by traversing the building and our office space maskless.)

Another company employee on our contract came into the office symptomatic, and tested positive 3 days later for Covid. Half-to-three-quarters of her team was put on quarantine protocols. We have unlimited sick leave as a company benefit. There was no reason whatsoever for the symptomatic employee to come into work to potentially infect countless others. No reason.

These are prime examples of how no one gives two poops about incentivizing vaccines, doing the right thing to protect others, or "following the (company mandated) rules."

So to keep my unvaccinated 11-year-old safe from any Delta germs that these (and other) jackholes might be bringing into the office on a daily basis, I wear my mask. Still. And would gladly wear it in WDW.

There is no "honor system" when many people are simply not honorable personalities.

Heelz2315

"Universal Orlando told Forbes in an email it would not be changing its mask guidance in light of the new recommendation, and Walt Disney World has not yet responded to a request for comment."

Interesting. So the State of Florida "nope no masks." Universal Orlando "We're not changing our mask policy". Disney ? Anyone want to guess if/when they'll make a statement and what it'll be?

StarWarsGirl

I work for a major telecomm carrier top-15 Fortune 500 company (in an office role, not call center or in the field with customers) Our company incentivized vaccinations by:
  • Granting up to four hours administrative leave for each vax shot (so essentially a full day off to get both shots if you were getting Pfizer or Moderna)
  • Allowing liberal use of sick leave for any side effects from the vaccine
  • Instituting "vaccine perks" of no longer having to wear a mask or 6' social distance after being fully vax'd, provided your proof of vax was uploaded to the company portal

My officemate, not vax'd (scared of needles :rolleyes:), has been running around the office for weeks unmasked. I've raised this issue no less than four times in the past two weeks to our immediate supervisor with my ongoing concerns about the Delta variant escalating. No one has counseled my officemate nor written him up. (We have a corporate code of business conduct that officemate is currently violating by traversing the building and our office space maskless.)

Another company employee on our contract came into the office symptomatic, and tested positive 3 days later for Covid. Half-to-three-quarters of her team was put on quarantine protocols. We have unlimited sick leave as a company benefit. There was no reason whatsoever for the symptomatic employee to come into work to potentially infect countless others. No reason.

These are prime examples of how no one gives two poops about incentivizing vaccines, doing the right thing to protect others, or "following the (company mandated) rules."

So to keep my unvaccinated 11-year-old safe from any Delta germs that these (and other) jackholes might be bringing into the office on a daily basis, I wear my mask. Still. And would gladly wear it in WDW.

There is no "honor system" when many people are simply not honorable personalities.
This is why I'm NOT back in my office. My office wanted all of us to come back. I'm in the small percentage of people that has a legitimate medical reason for not getting the vaccine (I'd have to get it at a hospital, and the hospitals around me just plain don't have it). I told my boss that I was not comfortable coming back in the office for precisely this reason. I'm still working remotely. We shall see how this plays out in my office. I'm certain there are people there who aren't vaxed and who aren't wearing their masks.

My father works at a small law firm where one of his employees wasn't vaccinated, not for medical reasons. He finally told her unless she got vaccinated, she has to stay in her office and wear a mask if she comes out.

I wear mine everywhere, as do my family members to protect me.

Otterhead

Interesting. So the State of Florida "nope no masks." Universal Orlando "We're not changing our mask policy". Disney ? Anyone want to guess if/when they'll make a statement and what it'll be?
My prediction is that they'll put out a statement along the lines of "While the current guidance from the CDC and the State of Florida is that masks are not necessary for vaccinated guests, we require all unvaccinated guests to wear them and encourage all guests to do so for their comfort and safety in our parks." Something like that to show that they're giving masks a thumbs-up while not actually requiring them.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
My prediction is that they'll put out a statement along the lines of "While the current guidance from the CDC and the State of Florida is that masks are not necessary for vaccinated guests, we require all unvaccinated guests to wear them and encourage all guests to do so for their comfort and safety in our parks." Something like that to show that they're giving masks a thumbs-up while not actually requiring them.
You’re probably correct here. Disney is probably working on the PR piece of this before releasing any press release.

KrzyKtty

This is why I'm NOT back in my office. My office wanted all of us to come back. I'm in the small percentage of people that has a legitimate medical reason for not getting the vaccine (I'd have to get it at a hospital, and the hospitals around me just plain don't have it). I told my boss that I was not comfortable coming back in the office for precisely this reason. I'm still working remotely. We shall see how this plays out in my office. I'm certain there are people there who aren't vaxed and who aren't wearing their masks.

My father works at a small law firm where one of his employees wasn't vaccinated, not for medical reasons. He finally told her unless she got vaccinated, she has to stay in her office and wear a mask if she comes out.

I wear mine everywhere, as do my family members to protect me.
My company (large military contractor) also has a "unvaccinated wear masks indoors" policy; however, no real way to enforce it. We live in a state where legally requiring proof isn't an option, so it is an honor system. VP of Operations just sent out an email stating that 7 employees tested positive last week and all were unvaccinated. One came into the office without a mask. I'm not sure what the company can even really do to discipline him since most are so scared of being sued.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom