Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

Pharmacy Times® interviewed Chad Landmon, JD, chair of intellectual property and FDA practice groups at Axinn, Veltrop & Harkrider, on the FDA’s emergency use authorization (EUA) process for COVID-19 vaccines, such as the expedited process for the recently authorized Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine.

Alana Hippensteele: So, Chad, how does the EUA process expedite the FDA’s normal approval procedures?

Chad Landmon: Sure, thanks for having me today. So, the EUA process at a basic level is expedited, and basically the way this works is it starts with an emergency declaration by the HHS secretary.

- https://www.pharmacytimes.com/view/how-the-fda-s-expedited-eua-process-works
The paperwork process was faster. Not the testing. Two totally different things.
Yes. With J&J. Hence my extra concern over this report. Yes I know it’s rare but that still worries me!
How long ago?
Edit asking because "On very rare occasions, people develop GBS in the days or weeks after getting a vaccination."

Jenny72

Anxiety about the vaccines, I understand. I was literally shaking when I got the vaccine. Twice. I have learned over the years that I have to make these kinds of decisions based on facts/logic rather than what my brain (which is trying to be helpful but is often quite a jerk about it) is telling me. That's why I will get on airplanes (thankfully rarely) even though I really, really get anxious about it, whereas I don't with driving. Thanks, brain.

What convinced me with this was that I could see that the fear of unknowns ("Could something bad happen with this?") was overriding a very real known danger of getting Covid. So I let the anxiety do its thing while I looked at the stats with cold hard logic. I had to do the same thing with my kid when he got vaxxed. I did not enjoy it. But that's what the stats told me.

This is something I have had to do over and over again over the years, unfortunately. So I do understand being anxious about reports of rare adverse reactions. I have no advice other than to "thank your brain" for its concerns and its efforts to keep you safe, and then let it do its thing while you take as logical approach as you can. This is a difficult and confusing time for a lot of people.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
It's pretty much been consistent that any risks from vaccines pale in comparison to the health risks of actually catching COVID.

The danger of blood clots from AstraZeneca was widely publicized, but the risk of blood clots from commonly used medication such as birth control is higher.

Being aware of the risks is fine, but the risk-reward benefit leaves no doubt that getting vaccinated is the way to go.

You need to work to get over these fears. I almost started freaking out when I first read about heart inflammation among teen boys (my oldest hadn't had his second shot yet, and heart issues run in the family), so I understand being afraid.

But truly, the chances of having ill effects from the vaccine are virtually non-existent in comparison to the chances of suffering organ damage or clots from COVID itself.
Honestly people are entitled to make their own decisions about their care. 10% of people still don’t wear seatbelts and 15% smoke in the US. For better or worse we still have the freedom to make decisions for ourselves right or wrong.

The good news is that if you’re vaccinated you’re extremely unlikely to be affected by the virus and it’s variants. So other people’s actions are unlikely to affect you.

Ostracizing people who don’t adhere to your position doesn’t help and only breeds more division.

BuddyThomas

Yes. With J&J. Hence my extra concern over this report. Yes I know it’s rare but that still worries me!
Wait, what, you’re vaccinated? Well good for you and I’m glad to hear this, but I don’t know if you are aware that in a lot of your comments, you are coming off as an anti-vaxxer and a lot of it could discourage people who are on the fence from getting the shot, and considering all these new and dangerous variants, that’s not cool.

lazyboy97o

Honestly people are entitled to make their own decisions about their care. 10% of people still don’t wear seatbelts and 15% smoke in the US. For better or worse we still have the freedom to make decisions for ourselves right or wrong.

The good news is that if you’re vaccinated you’re extremely unlikely to be affected by the virus and it’s variants. So other people’s actions are unlikely to affect you.

Ostracizing people who don’t adhere to your position doesn’t help and only breeds more division.
There is a world of difference between choosing to do something and falsely representing it. Choosing to wear a seatbelt is not the same as claiming that seatbelts are dangerous. Choosing to smoke is not the same as claiming that smoking is healthy.

That those who have long peddled lies about vaccines were not ostracized is a big part of the problem now. Lies that have been allowed to circulate for years now in public discourse such as the “long term side effects” of vaccines are very much part of hesitancy.

The growth of the anti-vaccine movement very much impacts those who are vaccinated. The measles outbreak at Disneyland included persons unable to be vaccinated. Such resurgences of diseases will only work to hinder progress and needlessly waste resources.

correcaminos

I am about to enjoy a night of quiet movie watching as I have the house to myself, but I did want to pop in and say this in case you reply to something earlier. I am a very anxious person by nature. Well not by nature, but things happened that make me one now. I get fears and anxieties - 100%. Vaccines are always watched for GBS, but the good news is that it is super rare and pops up within a short time frame. If you were vaccinated when most adults were available to vaccinate, you are beyond the time frame for worry.

I say this many times, but I was so scared to do the trial. I loathe needles and I truly didn't know what I would be getting into. Thousands of people went through the trial to see about safety. What we see is so rare it didn't show up in trials. Hopefully you can breathe and be at peace soon. Again i get anxiety and then some, so I feel for anyone who is.

TrainsOfDisney

This is a difficult and confusing time for a lot of people.
Agreed. Thank you.
Agreed. Thank you.
Wait, what, you’re vaccinated? Well good for you and I’m glad to hear this, but I don’t know if you are aware that in a lot of your comments, you are coming off as an anti-vaxxer and a lot of it could discourage people who are on the fence from getting the shot, and considering all these new and dangerous variants, that’s not cool.
Yes I am. I still have questions and concerns about the vaccines.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
There is a world of difference between choosing to do something and falsely representing it. Choosing to wear a seatbelt is not the same as claiming that seatbelts are dangerous. Choosing to smoke is not the same as claiming that smoking is healthy.

That those who have long peddled lies about vaccines were not ostracized is a big part of the problem now. Lies that have been allowed to circulate for years now in public discourse such as the “long term side effects” of vaccines are very much part of hesitancy.

The growth of the anti-vaccine movement very much impacts those who are vaccinated. The measles outbreak at Disneyland included persons unable to be vaccinated. Such resurgences of diseases will only work to hinder progress and needlessly waste resources.

All well and good, but there is still the freedom not to and we have to live within those bounds. I doubt very much forced injections against peoples will are somethings many would look favorably upon, but conversely the consequences of not getting the jab are the responsibility of that person.

ImperfectPixie

All well and good, but there is still the freedom not to and we have to live within those bounds. I doubt very much forced injections against peoples will are somethings many would look favorably upon, but conversely the consequences of not getting the jab are the responsibility of that person.
The problem is that so many of "that person" causes major issues for EVERYONE with full ICUs, hospital staff being overloaded/becoming burnt out, etc. etc.

lazyboy97o

The freedom to tell a lie does not include the freedom from being called a liar. Well before getting to forced injections would be to stop trying to appease liars.

ImperfectPixie

The freedom to tell a lie does not include the freedom from being called a liar. Well before getting to forced injections would be to stop trying to appease liars.
Not just stop appeasing them...we need to start actively calling them out. Including the ones in leadership positions and on TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom