Dining reopening news *(more reopening dates added on 8/4/21)*

el_super

My guess that it's temporary. Not sure why they would not reopen it unless they are going to convert it to something different.

Found out from a friend with a contact at the union. I hope that it's only temporary but they mentioned that they are looking to "evaluate the space" so it doesn't sound as such right now. That being said, Yamabuki ended up never being evaluated either.

Stevek

Found out from a friend with a contact at the union. I hope that it's only temporary but they mentioned that they are looking to "evaluate the space" so it doesn't sound as such right now. That being said, Yamabuki ended up never being evaluated either.
Blog Mickey via Laughing Place just posted it has been permanently closed. Says that Disney has confirmed it.

Just messaged a buddy of mine who's wife has worked there for years to see if she had heard the news yet. Kind of perplexing, wonder what is driving it. Had my 25th work anniversary there and a couple of birthdays so it holds some special memories for me.

https://www.laughingplace.com/w/new...n-closed-permanently-at-the-disneyland-hotel/

el_super

I assumed that the new DVC Tower would have a new restaurant in it, and that Steakhouse would probably be a casualty of that. Not sure if that was ever confirmed or not, but if that were the case, I suppose it would make sense not to bring it back online if it was just going to close again in a few months time.

Sharon&Susan

I assumed that the new DVC Tower would have a new restaurant in it, and that Steakhouse would probably be a casualty of that. Not sure if that was ever confirmed or not, but if that were the case, I suppose it would make sense not to bring it back online if it was just going to close again in a few months time.
Are you thinking that they might expand Goofy's Kitchen into the SH55 space?

Mickeyboof

Wouldn’t mind an Ohana-esque restaurant, perhaps with family style servings. Something vacation-oriented that fits better with the aesthetics of the hotel. The Steakhouse is fine for a convention center, but it really sticks out in a awkward way, at least to me as a park guest. So does Goofy’s Kitchen, which I’d love to see refreshed to something that meshes better with the surrounding architecture and tone.

I am excited for the future of steakhouse’s footprint.

el_super

Are you thinking that they might expand Goofy's Kitchen into the SH55 space?

I suppose they could... but if that ends up being the plan, it might be years down the line. The steakhouse space isn't too big, and it would be a major remodel of both spaces to reconfigure it. I don't know if the incremental gain in table count would really justify the cost... but it could.

Resort dining at DLR just isn't really a thing though. Yamabuki closed the year it won a major award, and right after a really expensive remodel. Hook's Pointe closed shortly after and was replaced with a QSR, which really just got replaced with more bar space. Everyone else seeking a dining experince has all of Downtown Disney and the parks to look at.

So I don't really know if there will be demand to replace it with... anything really.

Stevek

Confirmed that PCH Grill at Paradise Pier will not be reopening either. So at this point, no dining at 2 Disney hotels outside of Tangaroa Terrace and Trader Sam’s. That’s completely unacceptable even with Downtown Disney close by. For the prices folks pay, there should be an in hotel dining option.

mandelbrot

Generally speaking, Disney isn't very good at operating restaurants. They are, however, fantastic at creating themed spaces in restaurants. You only find well-run Disney restaurants when they operate outside Disney's standard hiring practices. There aren't many.

Tamandua

What time do new dining reservations become available on the app for each new day in the 60 day window? It seems like everything is booked from now through September 10th.

KyboRen

3am Pacific is when the reservations release, but they don’t always put everything up at that time. That’s when we got Blue Bayou, but the times for Oga’s and Lamplight Lounge seemed to drop randomly for the dates we are going. Got those by chance. Maybe it will be different for you, but I do think your best bet is setting an alarm for 2:55 Pacific and hoping they release times for the place(s) you want to go.

KyboRen

According to a friend, some places release at 6am, but I didn’t see Oga’s pop up at ALL for our dates until I randomly checked it one evening. It’s all a mess right now. Used to be so easy.

Stevek

So for anyone interested in visiting Trader Sam's, we've gone the last 2 weekends.

Weekend 1, put our name in for a bar top seat outdoors and just had to wait until one opened. Went to the walk up window, ordered a couple of drinks and sat in the non-reservation seating...basically anything to the left of the outdoor Tangaroa Bar. Only waited 30 minutes or so for our bartop seats.

Weekend 2, opted to go a bit later so we could sit inside. Got there around 3:15 and put our name on the list for indoors. Around 4:05, got called and seated at a table inside...we were one of the last groups that made it in for the first seating. Pretty painless. Had an Uh-Oa and then headed to Tortilla Joes for dinner. Before leaving for DTD, we put our name on the list to come back to Sam's but outdoors. Stated wait was 90 minutes, they texted us around 60-70 minutes later as we were finishing dinner. Headed back to Sam's and were seated outdoors within 10 minutes.

So my advice...if you just want to have a drink and sit outside, just go to the walk up window and sit in the first come-first served seating. If you want to sit indoors, get there around 3pm (on weekends, weekdays may be better), put your name in and then go to the walk up window and have your first drink to prime the pump while you wait. Bring your patience, there is very high demand for the bar and they are asking folks to close out tabs after 90 minutes. They are a bit short staffed on wait staff so that's hampering things a bit as well. Good news is that all but one skipper/bartender returned and they are a great group of skippers at that. Please remember to tip them well, they work hard and have been out of work for quite a while...many of them have been there since opening or close to opening day :D

The only downside, the food. They have cut back on the already revamped menu and given this is the main source of food for the entire hotel (unless you opt for DTD restaurants to deliver to hotel), the menu is truly lacking. It was designed to be unique but I can see where it might be challenging for a family that just wants a burger and fries for their kids...they only have sweet potato fries BTW. I do miss the simpler menu with Pork Gyoza, Flatbreads, regular burgers & fries, lettuce wraps...but they decided to be a bit more eclectic. We've heard a few people commenting that it's taking a long time to get food and drinks at the pool due to the staffing issues as well.

Now time to give my liver a weekend off :p

Curious Constance

I got my Oga’s reservations at 3am for my August dates. 2:55am they were not there and then at 3am they were. Gone by like 4am. It’s crazy. But it all seems to be random these days with what releases when. Blue Bayou seems the most random. Was never there at 3am for my dates 60 days out then popped up at some point and I was able to grab one. 🤷‍♀️

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
So for anyone interested in visiting Trader Sam's, we've gone the last 2 weekends.

Weekend 1, put our name in for a bar top seat outdoors and just had to wait until one opened. Went to the walk up window, ordered a couple of drinks and sat in the non-reservation seating...basically anything to the left of the outdoor Tangaroa Bar. Only waited 30 minutes or so for our bartop seats.

Weekend 2, opted to go a bit later so we could sit inside. Got there around 3:15 and put our name on the list for indoors. Around 4:05, got called and seated at a table inside...we were one of the last groups that made it in for the first seating. Pretty painless. Had an Uh-Oa and then headed to Tortilla Joes for dinner. Before leaving for DTD, we put our name on the list to come back to Sam's but outdoors. Stated wait was 90 minutes, they texted us around 60-70 minutes later as we were finishing dinner. Headed back to Sam's and were seated outdoors within 10 minutes.

So my advice...if you just want to have a drink and sit outside, just go to the walk up window and sit in the first come-first served seating. If you want to sit indoors, get there around 3pm (on weekends, weekdays may be better), put your name in and then go to the walk up window and have your first drink to prime the pump while you wait. Bring your patience, there is very high demand for the bar and they are asking folks to close out tabs after 90 minutes. They are a bit short staffed on wait staff so that's hampering things a bit as well. Good news is that all but one skipper/bartender returned and they are a great group of skippers at that. Please remember to tip them well, they work hard and have been out of work for quite a while...many of them have been there since opening or close to opening day :D

The only downside, the food. They have cut back on the already revamped menu and given this is the main source of food for the entire hotel (unless you opt for DTD restaurants to deliver to hotel), the menu is truly lacking. It was designed to be unique but I can see where it might be challenging for a family that just wants a burger and fries for their kids...they only have sweet potato fries BTW. I do miss the simpler menu with Pork Gyoza, Flatbreads, regular burgers & fries, lettuce wraps...but they decided to be a bit more eclectic. We've heard a few people commenting that it's taking a long time to get food and drinks at the pool due to the staffing issues as well.

Now time to give my liver a weekend off :p

Thanks for the good information. Did you join the waitlist via the app or by just showing up at Trader Sam's? If you joined via the app how close did you have to be to TS?

Stevek

Thanks for the good information. Did you join the waitlist via the app or by just showing up at Trader Sam's? If you joined via the app how close did you have to be to TS?
App is not working right now. Have to join at a host/hostess stand at the Tangaroa Terrace entrance

Stevek

Thanks! I can't wait to get my Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Rum and Zombie. I've been making them at home and I want to see how it stacks up to the real thing!
I've done the Tiki Rum at home but always go back to the painkiller...they're basically the same ingredients, the Tiki Rum just being a lighter version.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom