WDW in S.C.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
We usually drive to WDW and almost always stay in Santee SC and on one trip we met a man whose grandfather had owned quite a bit of land and Walt had approached him about selling for a "new project", the man refused to sell the family farms...there is an outlet mall on quite a bit of that property now :shrug:

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:.....:lookaroun :lookaroun :lookaroun...

- WondersOfLife

The last original pavilion. :king:

Laura

Premium Member
Just know what I was told and I thought Walt did some scouting himself?
If it were a rep maybe the old man thought it WAS Walt :shrug:

It would have been to Walt's own detriment to scout for property on his own, and it would have also been to his own detriment to hire disclosed agents to scout for property. The whole thing would have had to have been done in secret without the seller having any idea Walt was connected.

Unless this happened sometime before the 1950's...before Walt learned his lesson.

TP2000

There's a bit of irony in the whole thing. It was a rude remark from the president of Busch about Walt's refusal to sell alcohol in the parks that basically killed the deal. Now, it's served in all parks except the Magic Kingdom. Also, as everyone knows, Busch went on to become a competitor to Disney with Sea World and Busch Gardens.

And, as everyone also knows, Anheuser-Busch was eventually sold off to a Belgian beer conglomerate and is no longer a family-owned American company. :(

The St. Louis thing was not plans for Disney World. It was to be a small regional theme development, mostly indoors, with only a couple of attractions. It never got off the ground, and the beer issue didn't help, but it also wasn't Walt's last attempt at smaller regional properties in the 1960's; Mineral King ski resort in the Sierras, for example.

Walt also had the Celebrity Sports Center in Denver, which did get off the ground in the mid 60's and which was operated by Disney for a couple decades before being shut down in the early 80's.

TP2000

If the story you heard were true he would have been approached by a stranger working for some unheard of company and probably would have never even known that he turned down the sale to Disney.

Why ruin the story with facts? The old man already has a great yarn he tells to Yankees driving through on their way to Wallyworld. He's keeping himself entertained! :lol:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
I think S.C. really needed a WDW... but so did Florida.. even tho some kind of tourist destination would go there sometime or another for it's beaches and stuff.

- WondersOfLife

The last original pavilion. :king:

KG_Disney

Years ago I saw a documentary where an SC politician (old as dirt) say they were not going to let that Yankee make all that money... so most likely True!

N2dru

Honestly where in SC would a WDW size resort would have fit? Somewhere centrally located near a growing metro area with an airport to support the growth.

J Oscar

I grew up near Santee (other side of the lake) and I always heard the same thing, that Disney looked at land around Lake Marion where US 301 and I-95 cross that lake. Don't have any idea where the story came from or any proof that it happened.

Robbiem

It would be really interesting to know some more locations Disney have considered for their parks. We all know about Disneysea in Long Beach but I’d love to know where Disney looked in Spain for Euro Disney or if they rejected the Uni Singapore site when they built Hong Kong

Goofyernmost

Since Disney went to a lot of trouble to keep everything a secret, it is hard to imagine, as one said, Walt approached him to buy the farm. No not thinking that would have happened. But since it has been known to snow in SC I don't think it was the best choice.

Lilofan

Honestly where in SC would a WDW size resort would have fit? Somewhere centrally located near a growing metro area with an airport to support the growth.
Anything is better to improve the look of South of the Border at the NC/SC line.
Pedro says " you never seen sausage place ".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom