News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Stupido

I’ve yet to see any actual proof that supports that the retheme is off in Orlando. Look at the state splash has been in lately. Sure, it’s not uncommon for splash to go a little too long without a refurb, but this is the worst state it’s been in years. Disney wouldn’t let a premier attraction like this fall into ruin like this, especially right before the 50th, if they weren’t looking to change things.

Yes, it makes sense to wait until after the 50th anniversary to start the retheme in Florida. Splash is a classic ride, and people will be disappointed if it’s not running for the 50th. I’m sure they’re fabricating duplicates of all the set pieces at the same time, and the retheme will happen very quickly once the 50th celebration has passed.

Just because there’s a very vocal minority that is against this retheme, doesn’t mean Disney is canceling it. I can’t wait until this thread is focused on actual updates, and not just the same handful of users hyping up that fact this won’t happen.

Last edited:

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
I’ve yet to see any actual proof that supports that the retheme is off in Orlando. Yes, it makes sense to wait until after the 50th anniversary to start the retheme in Florida. Splash is a classic ride, and people will be disappointed if it’s not running for the 50th. I’m sure they’re fabricating duplicates of all the set pieces at the same time, and the retheme will happen very quickly once the 50th celebration has passed.
Im willing to bet Orlando has at the very least 5 years left

disneygeek90

They should probably complete their current projects before jumping into this anyway. This isn't just a slight alteration like JC, it's changing the entire ride. I think they'll want Tron and even Guardians up and running before they move into another huge project.

SailorMercury

They should probably complete their current projects before jumping into this anyway. This isn't just a slight alteration like JC, it's changing the entire ride. I think they'll want Tron and even Guardians up and running before they move into another huge project.
Tron running? Great. Splash’ll never close at this rate.

doctornick

I have a feeling that the retheme might be in limbo, particularly on the East Coast. We haven't heard anything from Disney in over a year, so it's possible that no new progress has been determined.

That's not really true. I believe both D'Amaro (Nov 2020) and Chapek (June 2021) have made more recent comments that indicate the re-theme is still "on". Now, to be fair, I don't think either specifically referenced MK versus DL so it's possible they may only be doing it at DLR and not at WDW. But it's not correct to suggest that we "haven't heard anything" since the original announcement.

I do though believe that the longer it goes on without any closure or firm commitment that the more likely that they will just not do it at MK just to avoid the monetary outlay (plus the loss of ride capacity for an extended period). And I can't see them even considering closing Splash at MK until at least Tron is up and probably until the 50th celebration is over. It's much more conceivable to see DL's close down in the next year for the change.

Wanderer23432

I’ve yet to see any actual proof that supports that the retheme is off in Orlando. Look at the state splash has been in lately. Sure, it’s not uncommon for splash to go a little too long without a refurb, but this is the worst state it’s been in years. Disney wouldn’t let a premier attraction like this fall into ruin like this, especially right before the 50th, if they weren’t looking to change things.

Yes, it makes sense to wait until after the 50th anniversary to start the retheme in Florida. Splash is a classic ride, and people will be disappointed if it’s not running for the 50th. I’m sure they’re fabricating duplicates of all the set pieces at the same time, and the retheme will happen very quickly once the 50th celebration has passed.

Just because there’s a very vocal minority that is against this retheme, doesn’t mean it’s not happening. I can’t wait until this thread is focused on actual updates, and not just the same handful of users hyping up that fact this won’t happen.
But by that logic Disney should be doing everything in their power to make sure the ride is in proper working form prior to the start of the 50th, and yet they skipped the annual refurb this year and is now in a sorry state. And if they were planning on changing it “soon” I feel like we would’ve heard more than an announcement and a single statement regarding the retheme in the last year, COVID or not.

Disney Analyst

That's not really true. I believe both D'Amaro (Nov 2020) and Chapek (June 2021) have made more recent comments that indicate the re-theme is still "on". Now, to be fair, I don't think either specifically referenced MK versus DL so it's possible they may only be doing it at DLR and not at WDW. But it's not correct to suggest that we "haven't heard anything" since the original announcement.

I do though believe that the longer it goes on without any closure or firm commitment that the more likely that they will just not do it at MK just to avoid the monetary outlay (plus the loss of ride capacity for an extended period). And I can't see them even considering closing Splash at MK until at least Tron is up and probably until the 50th celebration is over. It's much more conceivable to see DL's close down in the next year for the change.

In fact, Josh spoke on it with IAAPA on July 1st:

"Redefining Storytelling
Even while the pandemic continued to shutter Disneyland, Imagineers revealed changes coming to two attractions in the name of inclusion. Both “Splash Mountain” and “Jungle Cruise” in California and Florida will evolve in a way D’Amaro calls “beautiful and reflective of our society more relevant to our guests.”

The “Jungle Cruise” family boat ride will receive a new storyline and a new final scene that encompasses the ride’s new narrative. The “Splash Mountain” log flume will welcome Tiana from the animated film “The Princess and the Frog.” The princess is described as a strong lead character who’s “modern, courageous, and empowered.” The changes follow recent updates the parks made to established attractions. In 2018, “Pirates of the Caribbean” recast Redd, a famed bride wearing a red dress, as a pirate herself. The effort is global. Another reflection of this mission stands at Hong Kong Disneyland, where the castle recently underwent a massive renovation in time for the park’s 15th anniversary that tripled its size and reflects the diversity of a dozen Disney heroines.

“We will continue to not only look at the experiences that we have today, update them, and make them relevant and appropriate, but as we build, we will also start to think about all the great stories that we have to tell around the world and bring them to life in a way that everybody again can see themselves,” says D’Amaro."

EagleScout610

Premium Member
“Splash Mountain” log flume will welcome Tiana from the animated film “The Princess and the Frog.” The princess is described as a strong lead character who’s “modern, courageous, and empowered.”
The princess is described as a strong lead character who will only appear once so an alligator can hunt a trumpet “modern, courageous, and empowered.”

Fixed

Last edited:

Yert3

Splash will sit and rot until they do something with it if our theory of it not happening in WDW is true. Why would Disney want to keep up maintenance on an attraction they don’t want to keep around? That’s why I say it’s better to accept the change and move on, cuz the current version will sit in shambles if it doesn’t.

Just because there’s a very vocal minority that is against this retheme, doesn’t mean it’s happening. I can’t wait until this thread is focused on actual updates, and not just the same handful of users hyping up that fact this won’t happen.
It’s not like it’s unprecedented for Splash to be in shambles. It was 100 times worse in 2012, when there were no plans to get rid of it.
Here’s a video I took at the time, and no it’s not that dark in there because of my camera, that’s actually how dim it was in there in real life.

EagleScout610

Premium Member
It’s not like it’s unprecedented for Splash to be in shambles. It was 100 times worse in 2012, when there were no plans to get rid of it.
Here’s a video I took at the time, and no it’s not that dark in there because of my camera, that’s actually how dim it was in there in real life.

I think once it gets this bad again we can start to worry

Last edited:

Sharon&Susan

Another reflection of this mission stands at Hong Kong Disneyland, where the castle recently underwent a massive renovation in time for the park’s 15th anniversary that tripled its size and reflects the diversity of a dozen Disney heroines.
Did Disney ever try to claim the Shanghai castle "reflects diversity" with the same hodge podge Disney Princess theme?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom