Frozen Ever After vs Maelstrom

Better ride?

• Total voters

dovetail65

It would have been very nice. Instead we got singing cartoons from the Magic Kingdom.
It actually works great. Now instead of the 5 -14 year old girls complaining about going to EPCOT and crying they only want to go to MK the parents can go to EPCOT and there is something for the kids to do. FOP could of been put in DHS, it works at AK.

Mixing it up makes sense from a business and family standpoint. And as a Disney fan who doesn't like singing cartoons no matter what park they are in.

Goofyernmost

Was this really a thing?

I can understand EPCOT's merchandise team crying that they're not selling enough merchandise to parents of 5-14 girls, but was there really a rash of EPCOT-hating preteen females?
Age and gender probably was not that sharp a point, but as far as families with younger kid, up to middle teens more then likely had to force the kids to go to EPCOT, especially in World Showcase. It was considered a crashing bore to be tolerated only because the parents insisted and you knew that you just got it over with and move to a place that was more fun and lacking in any degree of conscious learning. Since WDW or any Disney Park, for that matter, is considered a family destination it therefore did indeed have a lot of influence on the length of stay in the park, if at all. They didn't like fine dining, they didn't give a rats behind about what the countries represented and it was a lot of walking. Not exactly the place the kids want to be.

I know someone is going to tell me how much they loved it as a child, and, of course, there were many exceptions, but from all indications it was not a majority or you can bet it would still be using the same mission as in the beginning.

Last edited:

dovetail65

Age and gender probably was not that shape a point, but as far as families with younger kid, up to middle teens more then likely had to force the kids to go to EPCOT, especially in World Showcase. It was considered a crashing bore to be tolerated only because the parents insisted and you knew that you just got it over with and move to a place that was more fun and lacking in any degree of conscious learning. Since WDW or any Disney Park, for that matter, is considered a family destination it therefore did indeed have a lot of influence on the length of stay in the park, if at all. They didn't like fine dining, they didn't give a rats behind about what the countries represented and it was a lot of walking. Not exactly the place the kids want to be.

I know someone is going to tell me how much they loved it as a child, and, of course, there were many exceptions, but from all indications it was not a majority or you can bet it would still be using the same mission as in the beginning.
I was going to respond , but you nailed it really. And before Maelstorm, that 5 years I think it was, my wife and I would go to the countries with the my wife's parents and the kids and even my wife' s younger brother stayed on the other-side. They saw the countries once and the 360 degree movies and they had enough at that age. Now my youngest kids even at 19 want to go to Frozen. I wish they would proceed with Mary Poppins and heck, even a family a roller coaster on that side couldn't hurt at this point.

Last edited:

Bairstow

Age and gender probably was not that shape a point, but as far as families with younger kid, up to middle teens more then likely had to force the kids to go to EPCOT, especially in World Showcase. It was considered a crashing bore to be tolerated only because the parents insisted and you knew that you just got it over with and move to a place that was more fun and lacking in any degree of conscious learning. Since WDW or any Disney Park, for that matter, is considered a family destination it therefore did indeed have a lot of influence on the length of stay in the park, if at all. They didn't like fine dining, they didn't give a rats behind about what the countries represented and it was a lot of walking. Not exactly the place the kids want to be.
I honestly can't tell whether or not this is satire.

Goofyernmost

I honestly can't tell whether or not this is satire.
It is not satire, it is the way it was back then. As I said those that did find it fascinating are not the majority. I loved it but I was in my 30's at the time. They had coloring stations for kids because there was nothing else there that interested them. It was a great park but missed it's primary audience by miles.

My kids loved World of Motion, The Cool Station (or whatever it was called at the time, I don't remember) The first few minutes of Imagination, the 3d movie, Captain EO and Shrunk the audience and the play area, they found Living with the Land boring. The first few years the Seas didn't exist and when it did open once was enough for them. Actual quote "If you've seen one fish you've seen them all". Energy was a total bore except the few minutes with the Dino's and even Horizon was a once and done for them. Wonders of Life was also a "we've seen that already".

In world show case Mexico was fun for them, Germany was Nein along with Norway, China was a thumbs down, Japan, Italy, France, England (they didn't even like the Faux Beatles band, lousy traitors) did not float their boat. American was good as was Canada. However if they had the choice of EPCOT or the hotel pool it would have been no contest.

Like it or not, in order to keep peace in the family it is surprising how hard the kids pulled the strings when it came to parents having to choose between a good, fun day or a massive whine fest.

Jrb1979

I'm in the minority here but IP has never been a draw for me. My favorite attractions at the parks are the ones with no IP attached to them. My favorite parks that aren't Disney are Cedar Point, Dollywood and Silver Dollar City. All 3 have very little IP in the parks. With the exception of Snoopy in the kids area. I'm more impressed with original attractions than those slapped with IP

Heppenheimer

Was this really a thing?

I can understand EPCOT's merchandise team crying that they're not selling enough merchandise to parents of 5-14 girls, but was there really a rash of EPCOT-hating preteen females?
I seem to recall teenagers complaining the most, in the admittedly small sampling of people I knew.

They had the same complaint about the early years of Disney-MGM Studios as well. Too much learning, not enough fun!

Tony the Tigger

Had to go with Maelstrom, although I’m not a Frozen hater, don’t think it’s “in the wrong place,” and make more of a point to visit it vs. Maelstrom.

The question was which is better. Based solely on the part where you see Elsa at the top, that scene feels empty and kind of unfinished to me, so I have to give the edge to Maelstrom.

UNCgolf

I'm pretty sure that you've entered the Ice Palace at that part of the ride. In the movie she built it to live as a recluse so it's natural she would magically send you away at that point?

The ride doesn't do anything to showcase that, though. You can assume you're in the ice palace because the walls are projections of ice and snowflakes, but you just sit there and watch her sing Let It Go for a bit then suddenly you go backwards while she's still singing. There's nothing to suggest she's even acknowledged the fact that there are people in front of her; she doesn't stop singing or look at you or really do anything.

With the trolls, they very specifically cast a spell on you. There's no ambiguity about what's happening.

mergatroid

The ride doesn't do anything to showcase that, though. You can assume you're in the ice palace because the walls are projections of ice and snowflakes, but you just sit there and watch her sing Let It Go for a bit then suddenly you go backwards while she's still singing. There's nothing to suggest she's even acknowledged the fact that there are people in front of her; she doesn't stop singing or look at you or really do anything.

With the trolls, they very specifically cast a spell on you. There's no ambiguity about what's happening.
Well I suppose if you go on the ride not knowing the story and thinking pre ride "I hope there's a story that I can follow in every scene" there could possibly be some confusion, it's just never crossed my mind till you mentioned it. On a personal level I think it's far more enjoyable than Maelstrom was and I make more effort to ride it now than then. But that's just subjective, it's no problem that you see it differently.

Goofyernmost

I'm in the minority here but IP has never been a draw for me. My favorite attractions at the parks are the ones with no IP attached to them. My favorite parks that aren't Disney are Cedar Point, Dollywood and Silver Dollar City. All 3 have very little IP in the parks. With the exception of Snoopy in the kids area. I'm more impressed with original attractions than those slapped with IP
So it's more personal taste that any massive upset based on some thought that every idea must be absolutely original to Walt and the Seven old men. Which is silly because they and particularly Walt used IP's constantly. Does anyone think that Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, Davy Crockett, Cinderella, Snow White, the characters in Splash Mtn. and particularly Mary Poppins was a Disney original creation? In fact isn't Frozen a Disney original, how can that be not part of a Disney basic and therefore incorporated in a theme park attraction seamlessly? Is there really any difference between a Disney built attraction that contains an idea from a paid Disney "cast member" or an idea obtained by someone paid by Disney for use of their idea? And where exactly is the line that defines what IP is acceptable since even ideas generated by a Disney employee is an IP.

In my mind, if we are going to allow ourselves to enjoy a visit to a Disney Park we have to accept that over the last decade or so, Disney has managed to "retire" just about all the high paid, highly creative Imagineers figuring that it is better to be paying others for their original ideas then to maintain a high paid, high benefits staff of creative people. The days of constant creations coming from those offices, which by now may be located in someone's two car garage, are gone and unless we figure out a way to stop thinking that any real quality ideas will be coming out of the Buildings in Burbank, we might as well just forget going because we are going to be constantly disappointed. Embrace what exists instead of lamenting what is no longer. That may make you to be considered a Disney apologist, but that really doesn't make any sense anyway, so remember that life is short and enjoy what exists or find another hobby.

Cadbury

"Back! Back! O-ver the falls!"
47znjp.jpg

G00fyDad

I chose Frozen Ever After over Maelstrom because Maelstrom was just odd. For me it was nothing more than an attraction to escape the heat. And I haven't even ridden or seen Frozen Ever After. :oops:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom